Why become a member? ×

“A” Ain’t a Bad Place to Be

Tokalo

My rock covers band have decided we’re doing Hell Ain’t a Bad Place to Be.

Apart from two 8-bar choruses, the bass part throughout the whole song appears to be only quavers on A.

So. While playing one note for 4 minutes, do you:

a) play open A string, making it obvious this requires next-to-no skill (e.g. your left hand goes nowhere near the neck);

b) fret the E string, and at least try to look interested, even if there’s not much scope for adding expression to the bass part?

it depends:

do A if you move around a lot onstage adding to the stage energy, smile and make eye-contact with the audience, freeing up your arm to wave or point at folks

do B if you just stand near the drummer throughout the night

Edited by Rib13Bass
  • Like 1

Alternate between, or a bar of each, fretted and open, same note but different tone and timbre...

Throw in the odd 5th and octave in the courus... just to keep the blood flowing and stopping ya fingers nodding off...

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rib13Bass said:

it depends:

do A if you move around a lot onstage adding to the stage energy, smile and make eye-contact with the audience, freeing up your arm to wave or point at folks

do B if you just stand near the drummer throughout the night

Or snarl and look agressively like a moody psycho, my preferred option to the above😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The number of notes is irrelevant. How you play the line is equally important and how you lock in with the drummer.

Play that one note right and you can make the band fly. Play it with no interest and they'll sound like they are limping through treacle.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Or do a disco octave, dum te dum te dum te

This!

But to make it slightly more interesting, every 4th bar throw in more disco/high NRG octaves chromatically up from F# back to A. 

And wear sequinned trousers - that's what I'd do!

😁

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Tokalo said:

My rock covers band have decided we’re doing Hell Ain’t a Bad Place to Be.

Apart from two 8-bar choruses, the bass part throughout the whole song appears to be only quavers on A.

So. While playing one note for 4 minutes, do you:

a) play open A string, making it obvious this requires next-to-no skill (e.g. your left hand goes nowhere near the neck);

b) fret the E string, and at least try to look interested, even if there’s not much scope for adding expression to the bass part?

I'd be tempted to just play the open string while having a drink or scrolling on my phone, but would probably try and make it like I was interested.

38 minutes ago, naxos10 said:

Would the song allow playing the odd A an octave up?

I think so - I’m going to try the octave suggestions at next rehearsal.

I play this song with pick, so I might try playing open A and A at 7th on D string palm-muted as a sort of power chord.

I remember seeing Ian Gillan singing New Orleans on TOTP in the early 80s. His bassist played all three notes the song required with his fingers pointing down. I still can’t decide if that was disrespectful or actually a way of making a simple part more challenging.

43 minutes ago, gafbass02 said:

Loop pedal = wee break. 

One of the bands I'm in does 'Your Love' and the bassline is a repetitive one. I have just acquired an easy to use looper and with the full knowledge of the drummer, I will be trying it out at the next rehearsal. 😃

3 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

It's a fine line... Buggles glasses, no. Bootsy star-shaped glasses, yes.

Either way, trousers like these are de rigeur. I've got some!!!

20220812_GS_SparkleButt_SHOT_07_1108_180

I think they've been over starched.