Why become a member? ×

Flats on a jazz... Pros and Cons

uk_lefty

Thanks everyone for the contributions.... I had TI's before on my Precision and really didn't like them, likewise Chrome's aren't my bag either. I'm going to give either HB or Fenders a go to see how the bass takes to flats and then possibly upgrade after that experiment.

• Like 2

Well the Ti flats are coming off my Jazz.

Most annoyingly my nickel allergy is getting worse. I never used to have a problem with normal nickel stuff and then I played some of the Roto Monel flats for a while and they have a very high nickel content and they gave me blisters.

It seems my sensitivity levels have gone up a lot. A real shame as I really liked the tone and the feel of them.

They've only been on about a week so I'll stick them in the classifieds in a mo.

Even more annoyingly I put a shortscale set on my Lionel as well, so they are coming off too.

Expensive week. :( 

• Sad 3

6 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Most annoyingly my nickel allergy is getting worse. I never used to have a problem with normal nickel stuff and then I played some of the Roto Monel flats for a while and they have a very high nickel content and they gave me blisters.

It seems my sensitivity levels have gone up a lot. A real shame as I really liked the tone and the feel of them.

They've only been on about a week so I'll stick them in the classifieds in a mo.

Even more annoyingly I put a shortscale set on my Lionel as well, so they are coming off too.

Me and Tony will arm wrestle for your TI’s. He’ll win. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

😁, I had another set delivered after yours ,  so I might have to buy another bass now 

I’ve bought two new sets since I sold you that set! I now have them back on my ‘73 and a set waiting for my new bass to arrive. The ‘78 P and the Jazz are keeping their LTFs. It’s nice to have a bit of variety.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

a set waiting for my new bass to arrive.

You need to chivvy your friend along. A bloke gifts a bass to a chum and then takes his time delivering it. Some people. ;) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Apart from on a mustang, I have never liked flats on anything. I have tried a few. I guess with the mustang I was just going for a vintage sound anyway

I didn't used to, but then I tried some and really liked the lack of finger noise, and the difference in attack of the note.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ezbass said:

You need to chivvy your friend along. A bloke gifts a bass to a chum and then takes his time delivering it. Some people. ;) 

I've just spoken to Will on the phone and he tells me it will be here tomorrow.

He also said that I should be prepared to be blown away by the condition of it. It's a 1987 MIJ PB-62, in the original box, and it still has the plastic film on the pickguard. He says it looks like a brand new bass! I might put a tort guard on it just to save the original with the film still on it! Black/tort/rosewood P bass Mmmm.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I've now got La Bella white nylons on all basses, even a 5 string EUB.

Had them on my 5 string Elite jazz but took them off when I sold it. Put them straight back on the Elwood 5a replacement. Just love the feel and how they sound. Also have them on my 4 string P  and 4 string jazz.

I'm a very happy user of TI flats on all my basses including my jazz. The only strings I'd like to try sometime are black nylon tapewounds. All the sets I've seen however seem to come in such humongously thick guages it's rather put me off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Martin E said:

I'm a very happy user of TI flats on all my basses including my jazz. The only strings I'd like to try sometime are black nylon tapewounds. All the sets I've seen however seem to come in such humongously thick guages it's rather put me off.

I know what you mean, I don’t like thick gauge strings, I’ve got 2 jazzes with d’addario tapes which are 50-105 , my normal strings are labella 43-104 and LTF’s on all my other basses , but the tapes don’t feel thick at all, especially when they are worn in , they become really smooth with a nice warm tone 

• Like 1

On 04/05/2023 at 03:58, fretmeister said:

You've never tried tapewounds?

Having not taken it out of the house for many years I restrung my '71 Jazz with some used Sadowsky 45-105 Black Label Flats and used it at this mornings rehearsal.  I definitely reckon that I'm close to getting the tone I want and the reaction from rest of the band was amazingly positive. The only snag is that the tension feels a touch too high.  I'm thinking of trying some Rotosound 77 40-100 flats as they are in period, wont break the bank and should be slightly lower tension.  What do you reckon?

12 hours ago, obbm said:

Having not taken it out of the house for many years I restrung my '71 Jazz with some used Sadowsky 45-105 Black Label Flats and used it at this mornings rehearsal.  I definitely reckon that I'm close to getting the tone I want and the reaction from rest of the band was amazingly positive. The only snag is that the tension feels a touch too high.  I'm thinking of trying some Rotosound 77 40-100 flats as they are in period, wont break the bank and should be slightly lower tension.  What do you reckon?

Out of all the flats I’ve tried Rotos are fairly high on the tension