Why become a member? ×

How much of this is true?

TheGreek

7 hours ago, Earbrass said:

I do seem to remember hearing that certain low-frequency vibrations can help with certain conditions. I think there was something about using vibration therapy to help astronauts returning from long spells on the international space station recover their bone density after prolonged weightlessness, and the suggestion that it could be used to treat osteoporosis patients. Can anyone confirm?

Possibly, this journal article from 2017 discusses benefits of vibration therapy and notes that NASA is doing studies with it.

https://mdpi-res.com/d_attachment/jfmk/jfmk-02-00017/article_deploy/jfmk-02-00017.pdf?version=1495184240

Edited by Chiliwailer
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Like all such things (mentioning no names but h*******y springs to mind), if you believe it's true there's a greater chance that it's true 👍

True. Unless you’re Donald Trump 😊

edit - ahh.. guessing the H**y is the ‘luthier’? 

Edited by Chiliwailer
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Beedster said:

But all joking aside sound, or at least ultrasound, is used in medical applications e.g., tendinitis, kidney stone, cataracts, so who knows........... :)  

Back to joking, this reminds me of an old one.

Who is the coolest cat in the hospital?  

The ultrasound guy

And when he is on holiday it is the hip replacement man.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Chiliwailer said:

Possibly, this journal article from 2017 discusses benefits of vibration therapy and notes that NASA is doing studies with it.

https://mdpi-res.com/d_attachment/jfmk/jfmk-02-00017/article_deploy/jfmk-02-00017.pdf?version=1495184240

Isn't this related to the idea that cats purr to promote bone and tissue health/growth because they spend most of their time asleep rather than being active?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Isn't this related to the idea that cats purr to promote bone and tissue health/growth because they spend most of their time asleep rather than being active?

Nice one, that’s interesting, looks like they putt for many a reason, perhaps even healing. 

https://www.pet-services.org/why-do-cats-purr/

11 hours ago, Earbrass said:

It's good to keep in mind that a significant portion of all research is done to exclude wild guesses for once and all.

'maybe ducks float better when coated in peanut butter? Ah no, but dogs seem to like them even more though!' 

Edited by Bolo

2 hours ago, Bolo said:

It's good to keep in mind that a significant portion of all research is done to exclude wild guesses for once and all.

'maybe ducks float better when coated in peanut butter? Ah no, but dogs seem to like them even more though!' 

For the last week or so, I have been meaning to look to see if anyone has actually researched what kind of weather ducks actually like.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

Crystals probably.

Oddly enough some old hippy friends of mine years ago were into "crystals".. Now i had a badly stiff and painful neck for a while, and one of these characters suggested their famous crystals.. She kind of held the thing over the dodgy neck for a bit, and likely had a quiet word with Isis or something, and that was apparently it.. 

Anyway I thought no more about it having humoured them, however the next day I was reversing the car out of a narrow alleyway, and suddenly realised I could turn my head round to look thru the car's back window .. And it didn't hurt anymore.!! 

The neck was fine and back to normal, WTF.. 

Now I don't suppose for a moment the "magic" crystals actually cured my stiff neck, it probably would have been fine that day anyway, perhaps it "clicked"  back in my sleep or something, but needless to say the hippy mob were delighted.. 

One of my composition teachers, who shall remain nameless, doesn't want to discuss or even mention one of his older compositions, as it caused dizziness and nausea in the audience.
This was probably not due to frequencies though, but possibly due to the tiny frequency changes that were central to the piece.

IOW, Mick's list is entirely correct if you just change the frequencies a little ... and also remove the claimed effects. 😀

• Haha 1

Bit about crystals reminded me... A while back I went to a rock and gem show with my wife.

There was a crystal seller there surrounded by crystals for good luck, money, health, angel summoning, lemurian contact, etc. etc.

He looked totally miserable and got really upset when I asked him why he was still coming to these shows when he should have been rich and immortal from all the rocks.

• Haha 1

Just now, Oomo said:

Bit about crystals reminded me... A while back I went to a rock and gem show with my wife.

There was a crystal seller there surrounded by crystals for good luck, money, health, angel summoning, lemurian contact, etc. etc.

He looked totally miserable and got really upset when I asked him why he was still coming to these shows when he should have been rich and immortal from all the rocks.

You'd think any psychic worth the name would have a pretty good idea of the lottery numbers for instance... 

• Like 1