Why become a member? ×

Disco tracks by rock bands

Beedster

On 25/03/2023 at 20:29, Beedster said:

Now, how did I overlook this in my first post.........?

Roots and octave, check

Catchy hook, check

Singalong'ability, check

Head bobbolicious, check

And great fun to play check 

Chicken Dinner🍗

• Thanks 1

OK, it's pushing the definition of rock I suppose, but the Bees-Gees went from whatever they were to Disco without missing a beat.

I'd always assumed that they got a bunch of session musicians in to make the switch, but no - according to the documentary I saw it was the same band that they'd used through their career.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nail Soup said:

OK, it's pushing the definition of rock I suppose, but the Bees-Gees went from whatever they were to Disco without missing a beat.

I'd always assumed that they got a bunch of session musicians in to make the switch, but no - according to the documentary I saw it was the same band that they'd used through their career.

- And a Drummer called Bernard Lupe.

Staying alive:

The band's drummer Dennis Bryon left the recording sessions early due to the death of his mother, and the group first looked for a replacement. The shortage of qualified drummers in the area prompted the group to try a drum machine, but it did not offer satisfactory results. After listening to the drum track of the already-recorded "Night Fever", the group and producer Albhy Galuten took two bars from that track, rerecorded them as a recurrent loop on a separate tape (creating the song's constant rhythm), and proceeded with sessions for "Stayin' Alive". The group jokingly listed the drummer as "Bernard Lupe" (a takeoff on session drummer Bernard Purdie). Lupe became a highly sought-after drummer—until it was discovered that he did not exist.

Albhy Galuten talks about the recording of "Stayin' Alive":

Barry and I listened carefully to find a bar that felt really good. Everyone knows that it's more about feel than accuracy in drum tracks. We chose a bar that felt so good that we ended up using that same loop on 'Stayin' Alive,' and 'More Than a Woman,' and then again on Barbra Streisand's song 'Woman in Love.' To make the loop, we copied the drums onto one-quarter-inch tape. Karl spliced the tape and jury rigged it so that it was going over a mic stand and around a plastic reel. At first, we were doing it just as a temporary measure. As we started to lay tracks down to it, we found that it felt really great-very insistent but not machinelike. It had a human feel. By the time we had overdubbed all the parts to the songs and Dennis came back, there was no way we could get rid of the loop.

:D:D

• Like 4

1 minute ago, lowdown said:

- And a Drummer called Bernard Lupe.

Staying alive:

The band's drummer Dennis Bryon left the recording sessions early due to the death of his mother, and the group first looked for a replacement. The shortage of qualified drummers in the area prompted the group to try a drum machine, but it did not offer satisfactory results. After listening to the drum track of the already-recorded "Night Fever", the group and producer Albhy Galuten took two bars from that track, rerecorded them as a recurrent loop on a separate tape (creating the song's constant rhythm), and proceeded with sessions for "Stayin' Alive". The group jokingly listed the drummer as "Bernard Lupe" (a takeoff on session drummer Bernard Purdie). Lupe became a highly sought-after drummer—until it was discovered that he did not exist.

Albhy Galuten talks about the recording of "Stayin' Alive":

Barry and I listened carefully to find a bar that felt really good. Everyone knows that it's more about feel than accuracy in drum tracks. We chose a bar that felt so good that we ended up using that same loop on 'Stayin' Alive,' and 'More Than a Woman,' and then again on Barbra Streisand's song 'Woman in Love.' To make the loop, we copied the drums onto one-quarter-inch tape. Karl spliced the tape and jury rigged it so that it was going over a mic stand and around a plastic reel. At first, we were doing it just as a temporary measure. As we started to lay tracks down to it, we found that it felt really great-very insistent but not machinelike. It had a human feel. By the time we had overdubbed all the parts to the songs and Dennis came back, there was no way we could get rid of the loop.

:D:D

I hope they paid him for it..!

• Like 1

On 27/03/2023 at 13:40, Nail Soup said:

They were a killer ballad band before disco.They went from a Rickenbacker 4001 to a Precision . Got To Get A Message To You , I Started A Joke, Massachuttes . They even came to Alabama !!! 

7 minutes ago, grenadillabama said:

They were a killer ballad band before disco.They went from a Rickenbacker 4001 to a Precision . Got To Get A Message To You , I Started A Joke, Massachuttes . They even came to Alabama !!! 

They also played a Guild Starfire, although possibly a little later, in the 70s. And in the 80s they went headless (Hohner I think?), and then later turned to synths, which IMO ruined their sound. 🤷‍♀️

There are some cracking songs in this thread, mostly new to me.

A party band playing disco songs that most of the audience have never heard of would be a interesting sell, until after the first two songs then everyone would be up on the dance floor and not care. 🕺