Why become a member? ×

What's Your current band name ?

nilorius

Funk Shed. TBH we play more soul than funk, but not when we started. The ‘shed’ bit was a reference to drummers I think..something about sounding like they’re building a shed. It was a long time ago and I was very, very drunk.

• Like 1

Rival Falls 

Named after a pair of modest waterfalls (no, I dint have a clue either) in the Yorkshire Dales.

Been writing for a couple of years and literally went through hundreds of names to get there. 

Liked it, then didn’t. But think it suits us now and like it again. 

Alt rock with punk adjacencies. 

I’m on bass, keys and guitar on a couple of songs. And one of 3 songwriters. 

Shameless plug - first single is out 24th March. Follow our socials for more. 😇

https://linktr.ee/rivalfallsmusic?fbclid=PAAab14zEERcHKlFZvd1lcp68WPOCQRkrqzdAxqrRH7EoNPQ8fvpXa_yP7uNY

Edited by Nothingman

My covers band is Turnette Doone

Named by a Scottish sound engineer many years ago, and long before I joined them, at their first gig.

The following historic exchange works best with a very broad Scottish accent where appropriate....

Scottish sound engineer: "What's yer name?"

Band: "We haven't got one"

Scottish sound engineer: "Yer far too 'effin loud - turnette doone!!!"

And thus Turnette Doone was created.

• Haha 4

Wight Hot Pipes (coz we is from the Isle Of Wight and have a bagpiper in our ranks). I only joined back in October and the band has been around for a while, so the name was obviously already established. 

DuneBuggy is a covers band playing absolutely anything we bloody well like. Lots of names were suggested, DuneBuggy came from a POTUSA song. The name doesn’t refer to anything in particular, and is as random as our set list. 😊

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Grassie said:

Wight Hot Pipes (coz we is from the Isle Of Wight and have a bagpiper in our ranks). I only joined back in October and the band has been around for a while, so the name was obviously already established. 

DuneBuggy is a covers band playing absolutely anything we bloody well like. Lots of names were suggested, DuneBuggy came from a POTUSA song. The name doesn’t refer to anything in particular, and is as random as our set list. 😊

Wight Hot Pipes is super !

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

Meat Raffle. Sell lots of tickets for pub gigs, but we always get a load of punters who seem to be very irate on the night and don't appreciate the music.

It was the same with my previous band 'topless gogo girls'

I always wanted to name a band “Free Beer”

• Haha 1

1. Hulla (or 'The Hulla Band'). When I joined the band was called the Hullabaloo, named after the annual festival it organises and was created to play in - the Horton Hullabaloo. I suggested shortening it for other gigs. We currently play around 10 dates a year, all for charity and usually well attended. The set list is as varied as the line-up, which currently numbers 13 and includes bass, drums, guitars, ukes, keys, banjo, percussion and lots of fun and games.  

2. Midnight Smoke. A blues and blues/rock covers band just getting back on its feet following losing two members to Covid. I joined last year with my mate on drums to take their place. I like the name, it seems to fit with the vibe of the band. 

• Like 1

Current bands:

Soul Destroyers -- soul covers plus much more, with lots of silliness. Name was already in place when I joined and after nearly 30 years is unlikely to change.

Train To Skaville -- I think you can guess what we do. Again, well-established name when I joined.

Selection of past bands:

Thursday's Child -- first band, so named because we had a long way to go to be even remotely good.

Closer Apart -- first really good band and my only serious attempt at stardom. Came quite close to a record deal. It was the 80s and pretentious band names were a legal requirement.

Desperate Head -- rock covers. Name was in place when I joined, don't know where it came from but I suspect large quantities of dope were involved. Lead singer was the son of Brian Gregg, bassist with Johnny Kidd & The Pirates. He came to see us once, didn't say anything (good or bad) about my playing. Didn't say much of anything to anyone, in fact.

Thud -- jazz fusion trio. Name taken from the Bruford tune.

Edited by Rich
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, dclaassen said:

I always wanted to name a band “Free Beer”

Me and wifey often go out to see live music. One of the local venues had a board outside with “Friday - free jukebox” written on it.

Mrs thought Free Jukebox was a new band, and we should check them out…

• Haha 1