Why become a member? ×

Aging new flat-wound strings

greentext

I've seen a fair few players reference deadening there new flat-wound strings by using moisturiser or other creams. I know Sean Hurley mentioned he uses Vaseline to achieve the same thing.

Has anyone actually ever tried this and is it worth trying? Im totally happy to dead my string by playing as I always have but think this is an interesting approach. Part of me feels weird taking my new strings and slather them in anything.  

Here is a link to Danny Sapko Youtube Short on the matter 

Interesting, I had no idea that was even a thing.

Personally I'd go with the sponge mute while they aged through playing but mine have been on over a year now so I doubt I'd see much change from trying this.

Guy Pratt was on SBL chatting away recently and mentioned Lee Sklar telling him about slapping some gaffer tape over the bridge to deaden harmonics...wonder if that'd have the same effect as moisturiser or a sponge, one I'll try when I get some new strings.

3 hours ago, Saul Panzer said:

Personally I'd go with the sponge mute while they aged through playing but mine have been on over a year now so I doubt I'd see much change from trying this.

yh same for me, id love to try the aging method but considering the Thomastik strings are like £40-50 a pop I'd feel very reluctant, my strings have been on my bass for about 2 years

I had Chromes on my P for a couple of years, started bright, died off nicely as you'd expect. I replaced them with La Bella flats and they instantly sounded like the worn in Chromes, straight out the pack. Lesson? Buy La Bella flats for Precisions :D 

Si

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

I'll sell you some of my dead skin and bogies if you like. That seems to be what strings end up covered with 🤢

Thanks for the kind offer! Though I was thinking more of the sort of stuff made by people in white lab coats, wearing gloves and not putting them in their nose

• Haha 1

Even within the population of flats there is a world of difference in the degree of zing (or lack of) among those on the market. Personally, I prefer GHS Precision flats on my P bass. 

I haven’t used vaseline or creams on flats, preferring to wear them in naturally.