Why become a member? ×

Help me out - who should I listen to??

Wellsyboy

I recently joined here as a rookie bass player. I have played guitar for 50 years and have recently discovered the wonders of bass. Only gigging I ever did were pubs and small functions, weddings etc. I am serious about getting good! I love Blues, Rock blues, classic rock, R & B (of all kinds but mostly Stax Motown etc.)some new wave and punk stuff. I also like some jazz but more so the melodic stuff rather than the avant grade "intellectual" stuff - if it gets too busy it loses me. My question for all you fabulous people is - who should I listen to? I dipped my toe into a bit of Jaco on you tube but quickly pulled my toe out again (of course I haven't given him a fair shake so might need more specific direction with him please). Pino I enjoyed very much and of course I am totally familiar with Duck Dunn and Tommy Shannon. Sting I like very much. Never cared for the Who but might give them another try to listen to Entwistle. I caught a Bubby Lewis clinic on you tube and he was interesting but not sure. The problem with bassists (as a guitar player listening to music) is that you're never very interested in who the bass player is (until now). I will of course go back over my extensive record collection and have a relisten to the bass players - that's a given - but I would appreciate some pointers to help me along the way. Thanks in advance for any help offered. Steve

Edited by Wellsyboy
Posted in wrong section.
  • Like 3

Welcome @Wellsyboy, I'd recommend that you simply listen to the music you like and pay attention to the bass parts. The likes of Jaco, genius though he was, are not a great starting point for a study of bass, there's are some amazing bass parts hidden in some otherwise quite ordinary songs. Good luck 👍 

• Like 7

Some excellent suggestions so far, and I would add... (based on what you've said you've listened to and got something from already) Donny Hathaway 'Live'. A really good live album with Willie Weeks playing some lovely fluid lines; always adding and never detracting from the songs. There's also a section of the set - Voices Inside (Everything is Everything) - where the band are introduced and given solo spots. Willie Weeks' section is sublime - not flashy but wonderfully sing-a-long catchy lines that I always found were really inspiring.

I'd also recommend Bowie's 'David Live' for a masterclass in playing-across-a-number-of-styles-in-one-gig, by Herbie Flowers.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Old Man Riva said:

Some excellent suggestions so far, and I would add... (based on what you've said you've listened to and got something from already) Donny Hathaway 'Live'. A really good live album with Willie Weeks playing some lovely fluid lines; always adding and never detracting from the songs. There's also a section of the set - Voices Inside (Everything is Everything) - where the band are introduced and given solo spots. Willie Weeks' section is sublime - not flashy but wonderfully sing-a-long catchy lines that I always found were really inspiring.

I'd also recommend Bowie's 'David Live' for a masterclass in playing-across-a-number-of-styles-in-one-gig, by Herbie Flowers.  

stinky poo man!!! I forgot all about old Herbie! Thanks - one for my favourite live albums that

You'll get a bazillion different answers... but as far as what I did to get the ball rolling...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beatles-Complete-Scores-Transcribed-Score/dp/0793518326/ref=asc_df_0793518326/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310081590442&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3500387670720029362&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007151&hvtargid=pla-525453688488&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

And played a long. Did a number of things, got me into reading the notes (although tab is included if it's not your thing). Got me understanding melody in bass - Paul McC is a master on this front.

I don't play anything like Paul McC now - and got very much into techniques and expanding my trickbag I guess... but that was a super solid starting point. Nowadays, I think the players that I more gravitate towards are the likes of James Jamerson, Nate Watts, and say, folk like Bernard Edwards... but that melodic approach can still be traced backed to those early days battling through Paul's basslines. And then there's the stuff that I have focused on which pushes the technique... but is ultimately quite useless in most band situations.

Of course, getting into transcribing your fave stuff and how you want to play really helps develop you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I started off learning and practising bass to the songs from bands I like - alas, as a confirmed prog-head I found a lot of it intimidating and difficult to master and, more importantly, hard to use in the cover songs the band I was in were playing, which was not a prog band. For a new band project I recently started listening to songs I'd originally dismissed for various reasons (Abba and disco in general, funk and modern dance). While they aren't my favourite genres, they certainly have great bass lines that are interesting and satisfying to play and also taught me a number of bassic (yes) techniques, licks and runs that have improved my playing and make it into the songs we're doing. 

In other words, regardless of your preferred style, listen to any and all of the suggestions above and (no doubt) below to get a good grounding in bass technique.

Edited by Franticsmurf
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Franticsmurf said:

I started off learning and practising bass to the songs from bands I like - alas, as a confirmed prog-head I found a lot of it intimidating and difficult to master and, more importantly, hard to use in the cover songs the band I was in were playing, which was not a prog band. For a new band project I recently started listening to songs I'd originally dismissed for various reasons (Abba and disco in general, funk and modern dance). While they aren't my favourite genres, they certainly have great bass lines that are interesting and satisfying to play and also taught me a number of bassic (yes) techniques, licks and runs that have improved my playing and make it into the songs we're doing. 

In other words, regardless of your preferred style, listen to any and all of the suggestions above and (no doubt) below to get a good grounding in bass technique.

ABBA's basslines are quite extraordinary, and quite prog in their own way, certainly equal to many prog players in terms of skill and creativity 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, EBS_freak said:

You'll get a bazillion different answers... but as far as what I did to get the ball rolling...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beatles-Complete-Scores-Transcribed-Score/dp/0793518326/ref=asc_df_0793518326/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310081590442&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3500387670720029362&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007151&hvtargid=pla-525453688488&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

And played a long. Did a number of things, got me into reading the notes (although tab is included if it's not your thing). Got me understanding melody in bass - Paul McC is a master on this front.

I don't play anything like Paul McC now - and got very much into techniques and expanding my trickbag I guess... but that was a super solid starting point. Nowadays, I think the players that I more gravitate towards are the likes of James Jamerson, Nate Watts, and say, folk like Bernard Edwards... but that melodic approach can still be traced backed to those early days battling through Paul's basslines. And then there's the stuff that I have focused on which pushes the technique... but is ultimately quite useless in most band situations.

Of course, getting into transcribing your fave stuff and how you want to play really helps develop you.

Good shout - I already have this book!

• Like 1

Peter Cetera on the early Chicago albums, Tiran Porter with The Doobie Brothers, Dee Murray on 70's Elton John, John Deacon with Queen, Rutger Gunnarsson and Mike Watson with Abba, Joe Puerta with Ambrosia, Martin Tiefensee on 70's Lake, David Paton with Pilot/Alan Parsons Project and early Kate Bush....

That little lot are awesome and should keep you busy with listening and absorbing for now ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

I concur with @EBS_freak, I recently got a used copy of this here on BC and it is amazing!

S’manth x

• Like 1

I don't see much advice to learn playing the bass, as a musical instrument, as opposed to learning songs or styles. Whilst these are fine, or even indispensable, I would suggest this bass method, for its all-round approach, for becoming a proficient and complete bassist, as a complement to the rest...

Amazon.co.uk (other sources exist...) Hal Leonard's Bass Method ...

UAfST36.jpg

Once you've finished Book Three, you'll be good to go... B|

Could just get something like this:

00690508-wl.jpg

And work through it. Loads of styles and you'll get a great education as well as having a pretty good repertoire for a covers band.

Don't feel you have to only listen to stuff you want to play though. Get ideas from everywhere.

If you go beyond tab and learn some basic notation reading you'll open up your world massively. Piano scores, trombone parts etc etc. Notation has the benefit of being a lot more accurate than most of the tabs on the internet, and it provides time information as well as just pitch.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Beedster said:

ABBA's basslines are quite extraordinary, and quite prog in their own way, certainly equal to many prog players in terms of skill and creativity 

Rutger. He’s quite possibly the best unknown but in the open bassplayer out there. If he was American or British, he probably would have been more of household name! Love his stuff.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

Rutger. He’s quite possibly the best unknown but in the open bassplayer out there. If he was American or British, he probably would have been more of household name! Love his stuff.

Mike Watson, who played on Gimme, Gimme, Gimme, Mama Mia, The Winner Takes It All, and Super Trooper,  and a few others, is British. Very much a unknown too - even more than Rutger!

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, JJTee said:

Mike Watson, who played on Gimme, Gimme, Gimme, Mama Mia, The Winner Takes It All, and Super Trooper,  and a few others, is British. Very much a unknown too - even more than Rutger!

Totally! Although he didn't tour with the band, so visually not represented in any of the live performances.

• Like 1

Go through your Motown collection and isolate the bass parts, not just the James Jamerson tracks but also those featuring Bob Babbitt and Nate Watts (specifically Stevie Wonder albums). Another great player used by SW was Scott Edwards, who also played on loads of classic disco/soul tunes by the likes of Tavares, Hall & Oates, Aretha Franklin, Bozz Scaggs and hundreds more. Two other players I 100% recommend are Bernard Edwards (obvious but essential) and Leon Sylvers III who produces and plays bass on  Solar albums by e.g  Shalamar, The Whispers etc. My personal #1 is Louis Johnson. Just check him out on any Brothers Johnson stuff but also Jacko's Off the Wall and Thriller.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Go through your Motown collection and isolate the bass parts, not just the James Jamerson tracks but also those featuring Bob Babbitt and Nate Watts (specifically Stevie Wonder albums). Another great player used by SW was Scott Edwards, who also played on loads of classic disco/soul tunes by the likes of Tavares, Hall & Oates, Aretha Franklin, Bozz Scaggs and hundreds more. Two other players I 100% recommend are Bernard Edwards (obvious but essential) and Leon Sylvers III who produces and plays bass on  Solar albums by e.g  Shalamar, The Whispers etc. My personal #1 is Louis Johnson. Just check him out on any Brothers Johnson stuff but also Jacko's Off the Wall and Thriller.

All those and you wont go far wrong.

• Like 1

Welcome to the tribe! Fun times ahead...

The best advice I can give is (considering that you already possess musicians ears and have decent taste) is listen to the music you already love, focusing now on the bass, and listen out for the things that make you think "that's really cool but I can't do that", then learn how to do it until you can and have absorbed that particular vocabulary. 

Listen to how interesting bass parts work with/against/off the other things happening in the music. Learning basslines is cool (obvs) but a great bass player is aware of the whole.  The bigger picture. It needn't be complicated nor overly theoretical to be amazing. 

My suggestions, the ones that really grabbed me initially and made me focus on the bigger picture, are John Paul Jones of Led Zeppelin and Family Man Barratt of Bob Marley and The Wailers. 

They are quite different but both players are a masterclass in rhythm, groove, melody and serving the whole. They are both clearly great listeners.

Might not speak to you the same way, but they did it for me. Whatever turns you on is the right path for you. 

Regarding jazz - Paul Chambers' (Mr. PC) work with Miles Davis is another one. The album Kind Of Blue is the quintessential 'jump off into jazz' album, and for very good reason. 

Enjoy the ride, you're in for a treat. It's the best! 

• Thanks 1