Why become a member? ×

The New Music Thread

Mykesbass

• 3 weeks later...

This one will hopefully meet the approval of many of you - new material from Meshell Ndegeocello. Jazz/Soul, just beautiful, and one of the best bass centric tracks I've heard. Thanks to Cerys Matthews who played this today.

• Like 6

• 2 months later...
On 26/01/2023 at 14:08, BassTractor said:

Norse pop singer Dagny (Dagny Norvoll Sandvik) to me is one of several people standing well apart from yer everyday pop dreck.
Here a 7yo song that has matured nicely, IMHO.
"Backbeat"

I like this a lot, as I do her fellow countrywoman Sigrid,whose voice isn't dissimilar.  IMO pop's in quite a good place now, well female fronted pop anyway, what with these two, Dua Lipa and Olivia Rodrigo. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

I like this a lot, as I do her fellow countrywoman Sigrid,whose voice isn't dissimilar.  IMO pop's in quite a good place now, well female fronted pop anyway, what with these two, Dua Lipa and Olivia Rodrigo. 

Yesss! Have you heard her "Don't Kill my Vibe"? Really worth a close listen - maybe with headphones coz of the gazillions of tiny elements. Me lurves it.
Also her "Sucker Punch" and probably other songs, but I don't know any of these artists very well.

As you say: female fronted pop's in a good place, and many young Norse artists have found their way to my playlists.

Norseland also has guys, like this guy: Sondre Justad.
Here he's singing the day after an anti-gay terror attack that killed two people.
Also without the devastating setting I love this song.

Edited by BassTractor
  • Like 2

On 21/08/2023 at 16:06, Mykesbass said:

Really nice piece of pop on 6 Music this afternoon by CVC. Really liked the fluid bass line and mix of bass/bass drum.

I saw CVC a few weeks back at Wilderness and will be going to see them in Camden at the back end of Sept, really looking forward to it! They're a fantastic band and the album is well worth checking out, it's full of really tasty bass playing and Ben is the first bass player in a while from a new band that plays anything interesting (imo)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 29/08/2023 at 17:14, BassTractor said:

Yesss! Have you heard her "Don't Kill my Vibe"? Really worth a close listen - maybe with headphones coz of the gazillions of tiny elements. Me lurves it.
Also her "Sucker Punch" and probably other songs, but I don't know any of these artists very well.

As you say: female fronted pop's in a good place, and many young Norse artists have found their way to my playlists.

Norseland also has guys, like this guy: Sondre Justad.
Here he's singing the day after an anti-gay terror attack that killed two people.
Also without the devastating setting I love this song.

I have both Sigrid's albums and they get a regular spins. She's just great, her natural prettiness, no heavy make up and visual gimmicks, fantastic voice, slinky moves oh and yeah and really good songs. I'm generally not a fan of white rock and pop vocalists. Much prefer female. There are just 3 or 4 whose vocals I like. The majority range from the passably mediocre at one end to the truly abysmal at the other.  Viz male vocals I tend to prefer the great soul singers from Otis to Luther.

• Like 1

It's been out about a month now but it's just popped up on my radar, the new album by PiL - End of World.

The first two tracks are absolute crackers. I'm very impressed with these.

I quite like tracks 4, 7, 8, and 12, but for me the absolute standouts are the first two tracks. I wish the rest of the album could have followed these two, but then, that wouldn't be PiL now, would it?

https://soundcloud.com/publicimageltd/sets/end-of-world-3

Above SoundCloud link for the full album, for anyone interested.

Mark

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LowB_FTW said:

It's been out about a month now but it's just popped up on my radar, the new album by PiL - End of World.

The first two tracks are absolute crackers. I'm very impressed with these.

I quite like tracks 4, 7, 8, and 12, but for me the absolute standouts are the first two tracks. I wish the rest of the album could have followed these two, but then, that wouldn't be PiL now, would it?

https://soundcloud.com/publicimageltd/sets/end-of-world-3

Above SoundCloud link for the full album, for anyone interested.

Mark

I used to live in Penge 😆

• Like 1

Exploring Birdsong - 3-piece female-fronted, keyboard-led progressive rock. I think they're stunningly good.

Their vocalist Lynsey Ward guested on Lifesigns' last album Altitude - checked them out & I think I like her band better! They've so far released 2 EPs, waiting with bated breath for an album & tour.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

For @Barking Spiders and possible others, Dagny is another young Norse artist, here with orchestra.
Some cracking pop songs amongst those, IMHO.

If I understand correctly, this footage should play wherever you are.

https://tv.nrk.no/serie/kork-hele-landets-orkester/2021/MKKA11003420/avspiller

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nothingman said:

Discovered Karina Rykman about 18 hours ago. I’m hooked.

Really talented musician, great pop songs with soooooo much left field influence, and a bloody amazing ball off fun energy.

That's great. Thanks for posting it, off to check more of her work.

• Like 1