Why become a member? ×

The New Music Thread

Mykesbass

8 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Well, that was certainly a very difficult listen. No, I didn't stick around till the end (bailed at 10'30"...); it was better before the guitarist finally got his space-ship pedalboard to work. Free jazz..? Hmm... Not much 'jazz' in there. Infinite monkeys came to mind; maybe, by accident, a few decent seconds to be gleaned, but I've a life to lead, soooooo... I'm out. :|

I tried the drop in randomly approach but soon dropped out again after a few seconds of "guitaring"  the alto player that showed up later was ok if a bit derivative. 

Can't say I'd describe any of it as "New Music" 

2 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

I tried the drop in randomly approach but soon dropped out again after a few seconds of "guitaring"  the alto player that showed up later was ok if a bit derivative. 

Can't say I'd describe any of it as "New Music" 

Regardless personal tastes, that are definitely playing a big role here (and that's normal), I thought that with "new music" we meant music released recently.
Also, I do believe this is new music in "the other sense" too, as in it's a mix between jazz, afrobeat and hip hop, with a personal approach.
I think I should have shared the studio album more than the live. More structured and sonically quite powerful.

Edited by mario_buoninfante
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, mario_buoninfante said:

Regardless the personal tastes, that are definitely playing a big role here (and that's normal), I thought that with "new music" we meant music released recently.
Also, I do believe this is new music in "the other sense" too, as in it's a mix between jazz, afrobeat and hip hop, with a personal approach.
I think I should have shared the studio album more than the live. More structured and sonically quite powerful.

Fair comment Mario..

Just for me, "New Music" really suggests something that is newly conceived, something that hasn't been done before, a very difficult thing to actually achieve of course, hence much of what we hear is mostly derivative, to use the word again, of what has already been. 

Of course New Music can also just be defined as music that's been created very recently. Most of which I think will fall under this category. 

• Like 2

On 26/01/2023 at 20:49, Waddo Soqable said:

The name Post Metal, conjures up the idea of a group of ex striking redundant postmen who "full monty" style decide to form a Metal band.....  ;)

That's a movie I'd endorse!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Fair comment Mario..

Just for me, "New Music" really suggests something that is newly conceived, something that hasn't been done before, a very difficult thing to actually achieve of course, hence much of what we hear is mostly derivative, to use the word again, of what has already been. 

Of course New Music can also just be defined as music that's been created very recently. Most of which I think will fall under this category. 

Probably a topic for another thread, but is there anything left that hasn't been done before? AI possibly?

But as the OP, I did put this thread up more for newly made music in response to @DTB's earlier thread, and not some quest for the former.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Mykesbass said:

Probably a topic for another thread, but is there anything left that hasn't been done before? AI possibly?

But as the OP, I did put this thread up more for newly made music in response to @DTB's earlier thread, and not some quest for the former.

Again, fair comment. 

Incredibly difficult to know "where to go next" with music and as you say a topic that could make an interesting thread of it's own

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Mykesbass said:

I suppose that'd be a really interesting and long thread :)

The idea of "new" in music/art is tricky to define.

Artists influence each other and are influenced by similar things at similar times.

Today's world and its pace make it difficult to stick out for sure, but I do believe there is still new music (new = different, innovative) being made.

But, with new, I don't necessarily mean different from anything else in ALL aspects. I don't think that is even an option.

Anyway, waiting for that thread to start then :)

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Mykesbass said:

Black Country New Road - not sure how to categorise -folky, punky, rock, world music? Another 6Music find.

Yes. I love their two albums, For The First Time and Ants From Up Here. But, that was mainly because of the quirky lyrics and vocals of Isaac Black. He’s left now, but still a band to watch.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Len_derby said:

Yes. I love their two albums, For The First Time and Ants From Up Here. But, that was mainly because of the quirky lyrics and vocals of Isaac Black. He’s left now, but still a band to watch.

I must check their earlier stuff, thanks. I like the slightly bonkers mix of styles.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The new Def Leppard album - Drastic Symphonies - is really rather good.
There's plenty to like about it, but side C of the LP (that would be tracks 9-12 of the CD) would be the standout combinations of songs for me.
And Too Late for Love on side D was absolute amazeballs.

It is certainly one for the fans, so if that isn't you I'd approach with caution (or not at all, but that's your choice), but my goodness I enjoyed this album.

MarK

• Thanks 1

On 20/04/2023 at 16:35, Mykesbass said:

Listening to Steve Lamaq's Round Table today - lovely bit of 21st Century disco from Alison Goldfrapp:

Can anyone figure out where I've heard this synth line before? Not being "is this new?" snarky it's just bugging me. BTW I like this tune not so much the rest. And the lyrics! (now I'm being snarky)

30 minutes ago, StickyDBRmf said:

Can anyone figure out where I've heard this synth line before? Not being "is this new?" snarky it's just bugging me. BTW I like this tune not so much the rest. And the lyrics! (now I'm being snarky)

The bit at the beginning is that annoying Xmas thing by CacMartney.... 😂

3 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

The bit at the beginning is that annoying Xmas thing by CacMartney.... 😂

That's not the one. Thank you for a treacly earworm. I bet AI could figure it out if I knew who this AI was. Maybe google "what does this sound like?"

• Haha 1