Why become a member? ×

Fun Thread , Have You Ever Been Asked For Your Autograph ?

Bluewine

On 16/01/2023 at 16:46, peteb said:

But the thing is, we're all just song and dance people. Whether you like it or not, you are in the entertainment business and if someone has enjoyed the show, then meeting and briefly talking to you afterwards adds another dimension for many punters. If you sign (and hopefully sell) something, then that is just a memento of a good night. Of course, you aren't actually famous and whether they still cherish the signature a few weeks later is another thing. But that's not really the point, it's more about the moment... 

The only problem is if you sign a few autographs and start thinking you're in the Rolling Stones! We've all seen that happen and it's never a good thing (even if you happen to actually be in the Rolling Stones)... 

It all seems silly to me. However, the experience might be valuable. 

I keep thinking about the record promotion party in the movie " Spinal Tap "

Blue

• Haha 1

Autographs.  Odd thing to ask people to sign something.

A few times.  Merch table after gigs.  We did a couple of radio shows and the hosts liked to get things signed.  CDs in paper sleeves. 

Band flew to Italy once and a bloke air-side at Heathrow asked if we were a band and asked us to sign a baggage slip of some sort, which he promised to sell on eBay for a fortune when we were famous (good luck with that chief).

• Like 1

While in the sixth form at school a young lad was breaking into the first team of my favourite football club, who happened to have the same name as me - I succeeded in convincing quite a few of the younger kids that it was really me...never got asked for an autograph but somebody did once ask me if I could get them tickets for a cup semi-final...

• Like 1

I used to get asked by random people in the audience if I could ask Jenny (Haan, she was our singer for a year or two) for her autograph, usually on the cover of one or more of their treasured Babe Ruth albums.

I signed a few posters and similar when I was playing with The Grateful Dudes, but always as part of the band, never individually.

Not my autograph but i've been asked for a cuddle after a punk gig and for pics with people after the Glam gigs.

Have been asked to go on a date with 2 ladies even tho they had no idea what i actually looked like without the gear on plus i said my wife who was sitting next to the stage might not approve. I did find that one particularly funny.

Oddest one was a pic of the band after the gig without the Glam gear on by a German girl. (sounded like a German accent)

Dave 

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1

Strictly speaking off-topic, but still:

another one about fandom:

Gentle Giant members were having a nice weekend with fans in 2002 when one 50yo fan approached drummer John Weathers asking him to autograph some albums, and to dedicate as well.
- "OK", says John, "what's your name?"
- "It's Paul van Daal, but could you please write  'to my dear friend Paul van Daal '?"

I have a number of times, i'm not famous but i play bass in a famous band so it's more likely, though these days people usually want selfies and not autographs. Usually when they ask i tell them they should get the autographs of the original band members and go off and get them. if they still want mine as well that's cool.

But outside that, when i was about 18 or so, we did a gig in Kingsbury WMC near Tamworth and our agent at the time wrote some pink torpedo & bull article in the Herald newspaper that we had just got back from touring. So the venue was packed and i got to sign quite a autographs and few female lefties that night.

Over the years i have puzzlingly been embarrasingly, (for me), mistaken for, Lennox Lewis (far too many times), Courtney Pine, Samuel L Jackson, the guy with dreads from the "cool runnings" film, Robert Cray. I can't see any facial similarity to any of these people apart from my hair at various times and skin colour. No facial features at all. Apart from seeing the funny side of it, i am always respectful.

Edited by jazzyvee
  • Like 6

59 minutes ago, jazzyvee said:

I have a number of times, i'm not famous but i play bass in a famous band so it's more likely, though these days people usually want selfies and not autographs. But outside that, when i was about 18 or so, we did a gig in Kingsbury WMC near Tamworth and our agent at the time wrote some pink torpedo & bull article in the Herald newspaper that we had just got back from touring. So the venue was packed and i got to sign quite a autographs and few female lefties that night.

Over the years i have puzzlingly been embarrasingly, (for me), mistaken for, Lennox Lewis (far too many times), Courtney Pine, Samuel L Jackson, the guy with dreads from the "cool runnings" film, Robert Cray. I can't see any facial similarity to any of these people apart from my hair at various times and skin colour. No facial features at all. Apart from seeing the funny side of it, i am always respectful.

I imagine that being mistaken for Lennox Lewis could have its advantages - unlikely to get hassled by aggressive idiots for a start...! 

• 2 weeks later...

No, but in the 90s I was recognised around my home town as “That good acoustic guitarist” when I was doing an acoustic show on the local circuit. Used to annoy my first wife no end, probably one if the reasons I left her lol.

In my last band our drummer used to get asked for it, but that’s another story. 

• Like 1

No autographs but 10 years after I quit a local busy club outfit and, quit playing...I found a Fender catalogue and ended up in a guitar store..next thing I hear from a yoof behind the counter is..."hey aren't you so and so who was in that brill band".......spent the next 30 mins trying to get rid of him...twas nice but a bit unworthy.

On 20/01/2023 at 10:46, BassTractor said:

Strictly speaking off-topic, but still:

another one about fandom:

Gentle Giant members were having a nice weekend with fans in 2002 when one 50yo fan approached drummer John Weathers asking him to autograph some albums, and to dedicate as well.
- "OK", says John, "what's your name?"
- "It's Paul van Daal, but could you please write  'to my dear friend Paul van Daal '?"

I bet knowing Pugwash he did… with a smile. Lovely man. 

• Like 1

I have a few times (as part of a band at gigs, not on my own in the street) and it's really wierd, even awkward, to begin with. 

It's mainly been when we've played support to a 'name' band from our scene, but a few times I've been asked to sign CDs or setlists from my other band. 

Although odd, it's nice to think that someone sees you as a somebody who made them happy enough for a short while to want a momento. 

• Like 1