Why become a member? ×

Nate Navarro's Lignum Sub Octave bass

bnt

I didn't think it was possible to go an octave below standard bass without the sound turning to mud, but Nate had Lignum make him a multiscale 4-string with the Low E0 at 42 inches:

Nate's not a small guy at six foot frack knows, but it really does look playable by mere mortals.

I love the Lignum stuff...guitars, housebuilding, construction.  When they reroofed the old building on the island, it was stunning.  All brilliant.

Concerning the bass, this is the Lignum build video.  Strings on that are tapered rounds, god knows who make them.  Piano strings maybe?

Edited by NancyJohnson
Big edits...whole post.

Thanks for the build video - should be v. inneresting. They don't say which strings are on there, but with those gauges I'd go to Kalium for e.g. a 0.256" E. (A 1/4 inch jack is 0.250", for comparison!)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Machines said:

Remember not to listen to this on anything without good bass response, forget any laptop/phone speakers. My AKG headphones can't handle the fundamentals  so i'll grab my Sony later and fully expect my brain to melt.

(thinks) The Fundamental of E0 is 20.5Hz, right? 

A decent pair of headphones should do that justice- assuming that it's present on the original recording. I can't comment on IEM bandwidth, but little buds are unlikely to reach that low.

I have a 36" scale 6 string strung with a bottom F# which is a tone above E0. It is epic for the end of songs to play the octave below. It is also great to be able to play the 4th below as an upbeat to the root of the chord on the B string. Having a 6th string makes my brain melt, but that is a different problem.

28 minutes ago, fleabag said:

No

Horrible sound

Whereas an octave pedal generally sounds pretty good when used judiciously.

@Gareth Hughes I agree no adventure (or massive outlay) involved in getting an octave pedal, haha! But consensus seems to be for Nathan on this one occasion: venit vidit ad cacas.

He can however play! 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gareth Hughes said:

Sorry Al, I just wanted to get the ‘Shirley’ line in. Absolutely agree that an octave pedal is a) better sounding and b) much more practical than a 42’ scale bass. (I do admire the ‘sure why not?’ attitude of making it though.)

Side note: what does the Latin translate to?

Ah Shirley up to you work that one out? Enjoy 😁

• Like 1

I’m not going to comment on the tone as it is, filtered through YouTube audio compression and the two different sets of cheap headphones I use. I want to hear that beast through a 1000W RMS amp driving some 24” subs. Though “hear” might be the wrong word. If my shirt sleeves aren’t flapping at 20 Hz, like sails ina stiff breeze, it’s not loud enough.