Why become a member? ×

Wheres all the stingray pickups?

Twunkbass

I purchased an older second-hand Schecter Raiden Elite 4 several months ago........Although not exactly like a 'Ray because of pickup positioning, it is definitely in the ballpark (like a 'Ray + Jazz). I did a demo of it (below) if you want to hear it (and you can definitely hear the 'Ray-isms on the Both Pickups-On Slap Demo portion).....BTW, I found this bass for <$200 US which seems to be not unusual for this bass which is why Im posting it here as an alternative...BTW, the neck on this bass is phenomenal and actually plays better in my hands than my actual EB Stingray Special HH

Edited by Rib13Bass

15 minutes ago, Opticaleye said:

There's other videos for that bass where it sounds more typically Stingray-ish to my ears. It's a shame they only offer it in two types of black.

They offer it in every colour they do. And in every wood,. and hardware, and aging. You just have to order it that way.

Not all the options are on the configurator.

At the budget end an Aria GT can be had for next to nothing, one on eBay for £140 at the moment if you're local, seller's pics don't do it justice as they're very pretty basses. MM pickup but with an Aerodyne/P style body and Aria's standard F-style neck so somewhere between a P and a J, more of a slim P. Very underrated basses.

• Like 1

Lots of basses with MM pickups (as above), but most of them also seem to be Stingray proportioned, so if playing ergonomics are the main issue I’d have to recommend one of the Warwick models with MM pickups, of which there are several.  

A good few years ago I bought (on here of course....) a German made ‘98 FNA for a funk band project, essentially as a much cheaper alternative to a US ‘Ray, only expecting it to have it for a few months.   Despite attempting twice to upgrade it with something with twin pickups (a Streamer LX and then an Enfield Avenger) the FNA remains my main gigging bass, as it’s just so darn comfortable to play, perfectly nails the Stingray sound, and I’ve come to love the simplicity of the single pickup in the sweet spot (original EMG upgraded with an Aguilar) paired with a good flexible preamp (Seymour Duncan 3 band).   Warwicks are still incredibly  good value secondhand too.

Hope you find what you’re after! 👍

0504F048-0A44-4955-9210-7C7FAF6F9240.jpeg

• Like 2

On 22/12/2022 at 15:14, Twunkbass said:

I love the sound of a stingray, but really get along with the actual basses, too heavy and the neck isn't to my taste. 

Since ibanez for some reason cancelled the atk there doesn't seem any options for that sound. 

Anyone else found a solution to this sonic issue? 

Well actually I kind of had the same issues but the new “specials” did it for me. Faster neck, a lot lighter weight, slightly warmer sounding mids. Very expensive in the EU now though! Other than that maybe the new Sandberg Central or the Flea Fender active thing (don’t know about weight on that one though). 

Edited by Vanheusen77

On 23/12/2022 at 13:28, Shaggy said:

Lots of basses with MM pickups (as above), but most of them also seem to be Stingray proportioned, so if playing ergonomics are the main issue I’d have to recommend one of the Warwick models with MM pickups, of which there are several.  

0504F048-0A44-4955-9210-7C7FAF6F9240.jpeg

This picture may, to some degree, illustrate the issue I have with some of these single-pickup basses that are supposed to emulate the Stingray sound. I am always first drawn to look at the position of the bottom of the pickup relative to the bridge. Quite often the pickup appears to be too close to the neck. Not quite in the Precision position but it certainly looks further forward than on a Stingray. The Warwick Streamer Pro M on the other hand had the pickup in the right place, see below: 

3114-body-jpg.1514339

Indeed, I love the sound of the 'Musicman sweet spot' and the looks, feel and playability of a Stingray was always my least favourite thing about it, so having options on that front is a great thing. There is still a gap for a really credible Stingray alternative since the ATK seems to have disappeared. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Chris2112 said:

This picture may, to some degree, illustrate the issue I have with some of these single-pickup basses that are supposed to emulate the Stingray sound. I am always first drawn to look at the position of the bottom of the pickup relative to the bridge. Quite often the pickup appears to be too close to the neck. Not quite in the Precision position but it certainly looks further forward than on a Stingray. The Warwick Streamer Pro M on the other hand had the pickup in the right place, see below: 

3114-body-jpg.1514339

Indeed, I love the sound of the 'Musicman sweet spot' and the looks, feel and playability of a Stingray was always my least favourite thing about it, so having options on that front is a great thing. There is still a gap for a really credible Stingray alternative since the ATK seems to have disappeared. 

Yup. Most don't seem to put the MM pickup at the Stingray position. Weird that.

Reverend Thundergun 

SPLIT BRICK
Strong lows and highs, open mids. Like a vintage P bass pickup but with more beef, yet retains clarity. 43 gauge wire, ceramic magnet, 8.5K ohms.

THICK BRICK
Warm and thick with strong mids. Output and punch like an active, but more organic sounding. 42 gauge wire, ceramic magnet, 7K ohms. 

PicsArt_09-15-01.20.41.jpg

On 27/12/2022 at 04:13, Bassfinger said:

A fistful of very nice sounding Harley Benton basses with MM type pickups.  Obscenely good for pennies.

They're fantastic basses for the money but they have a very odd passive electronics arrangement (two volumes, one for each coil of the pickup, and a passive tone control). If you want the full active Stingray experience, you'll have to fit aftermarket electronics. 

The Retrovibe guys do a copy of the classic Stingray active circuit (link below), and others are available that match the Stingray EQ curves (John East does a custom U-Retro, or whatever he calls it now, with the EQ frequencies set to match those of a Stingray). 

https://retrovibe.co.uk/product/retrovibe-stinger-77-classic-mm-stingray-bass-eq-pre-amp-2-band-pre-eb-circuit/