Why become a member? ×

Psychology behind collecting instruments

SH73

Threads about owing multiple basses and similar pop up like undesirable rodents invading our gardens. So here is another one. Although I don't own too many bass guitars but in my opinion there are more I use. In past couple of years I played mostly guitars and drums as they provide a better satisfaction. Bass is only used nowadays,IF, I record a song. So why do I have the need for multiple basses? One , I rarely use, the other I only bought as a " must have it" at the time going through crisis. Another, was a bargain and with further pick up upgrade it sounds and plays like a top of the range bass. Another , I totally modified, painted, it's the most comfortable to play with. So, taking a step back looking at them, I could probably sell three and make a decent amount and buy one I'm after. But I know deep inside that I would regret selling them, but they don't get used!  Anyone in a similar position? 🤔 

• Like 3

Psychology of collecting basses is much the same as the psychology of collecting anything, all collectors justify the need for multiple items ranging from "I need this one because it'd different to that one" to "It'll be worth a fortune one day" but ultimately it's all driven by that little circuit in our brain that drives us to seek out and accumulate resources. It was a very helpful circuit throughout millions of years of evolution, it's often quite expensive these days :) 

• Like 10

I know that my problem with multiple purchases of music gear is just that - a problem.

I have always sought to fill the hole in my life with outside 'stuff', with quick fixes.

Addiction and unhappiness have driven much of my existence and despite repeated attempts to find a more enriching solution, I fall back into old habits.

It goes something like this. I'm miserable, triggered, angered, hungry, lonely - whatever - so I blow money I ought to be saving or using wisely on whatever is my obsession right now. Instant buzz mainly because it's a rash act. Excitement throughout the wait for the arrival of the latest superfluous purchase. Excitement when it arrives. Anticipation of its first proper use. Put it to one side and look for the next fix.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

I've had 70+ basses in 20 years, and the 'hunt' for something exciting or rare is part of the fun for me, especially if I get it for a bargain price. That said, I have a fixed number I can accommodate at once, and as time has passed by I've narrowed them down to what works for me and there's now only 1 of 6 i'd not care if it moved on. I hope I will calm down in 2023 as 2022 has seen 13 basses come through the door 🙄.

3 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I know that my problem with multiple purchases of music gear is just that - a problem.

I have always sought to fill the hole in my life with outside 'stuff', with quick fixes.

Addiction and unhappiness have driven much of my existence and despite repeated attempts to find a more enriching solution, I fall back into old habits.

It goes something like this. I'm miserable, triggered, angered, hungry, lonely - whatever - so I blow money I ought to be saving or using wisely on whatever is my obsession right now. Instant buzz mainly because it's a rash act. Excitement throughout the wait for the arrival of the latest superfluous purchase. Excitement when it arrives. Anticipation of its first proper use. Put it to one side and look for the next fix.

Boom. Hit the nail on the head with this one. This is exactly the same as me. As soon as I regain some mental equilibrium and feel more positive about life I shed all the superfluous crap.

What’s funny is that the gigging instruments always remain the same - I just accumulate then dispose of other things. It’s all pretty harmless and I’ve never lost money, but viewed from the outside it’s entirely pointless. 

US Fender Jazz for the good gigs, Squier P/J for the rough ones and 66 jazz for recordings. Been the same for years. 

• Like 5

Yup same. 
Years of revolving door with basses.

Trying to make myself happy as a bassist by changing gear basically.

Years of keeping the same 6 string guitars, which I play at least one of them every day.

Only picked up basses when I had an upcoming gig. 
So I’ve stopped gigging bass and flogged them all bar a GoldTone micro bass for my own recording. 

Never been happier. 

But nothing wrong with having kit you don’t play if it’s not causing you difficulties in other parts of your life. 

• Like 3

If it’s your hobby/pastime/ interest and you have the money I don’t see a problem with it, my life is based around bass and reggae music ,and I’m constantly browsing basses , if I see something I like I buy it and if it turns out to be not to my liking I sell it,  good harmless fun I’d say and quite fulfilling when you get a nice one 

• Like 11

42 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Psychology of collecting basses is much the same as the psychology of collecting anything, all collectors justify the need for multiple items ranging from "I need this one because it'd different to that one" to "It'll be worth a fortune one day" but ultimately it's all driven by that little circuit in our brain that drives us to seek out and accumulate resources. It was a very helpful circuit throughout millions of years of evolution, it's often quite expensive these days :) 

Agreed, it's like anything else, never enough tools in workshop. New project equals new powertool.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, stewblack said:

You've got the nail on the head here.

29 minutes ago, Machines said:

I've had 70+ basses in 20 years, and the 'hunt' for something exciting or rare is part of the fun for me, especially if I get it for a bargain price. That said, I have a fixed number I can accommodate at once, and as time has passed by I've narrowed them down to what works for me and there's now only 1 of 6 i'd not care if it moved on. I hope I will calm down in 2023 as 2022 has seen 13 basses come through the door 🙄.

Only 13 this year alone, I don't know why I'm moaning then

9 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

If it’s your hobby/pastime/ interest and you have the money I don’t see a problem with it, my life is based around bass and reggae music ,and I’m constantly browsing basses , if I see something I like I buy it and if it turns out to be not to my liking I sell it,  good harmless fun I’d say and quite fulfilling when you get a nice one 

The issue is the bass I like the most I play the least. It's not the most comfortable bass to play. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Pretty much the same for me - reggae apart that is. After many years I’ve now realised the gear that I both enjoy playing the most, and which suits my style of playing.

• Like 1

Was talking to a guitar shop owner and he was saying that he regularly gets calls from people who are disposing of guitar collections. Usually a parent or child. Even hobby guitarists now have thousands of pounds worth of gear.

I stripped mine back to what I consider the essentials, and that’s still a double bass, 3 x basses, acoustic guitar and 2 electrics. 

That’s still 7!

Edited by Burns-bass
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

Was talking to a guitar shop owner and he was saying that he regularly gets calls from people who are disposing of guitar collections. Usually a parent or child. Even hobby guitarists now have thousands of pounds worth of gear.

I stripped mine back to what I consider the essentials, and that’s still a double bass, 3 x basses, acoustic guitar and 2 electrics. 

That’s still 7!

Hang on , I haven't mentioned my electric guitars and acoustics.

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

Excitement throughout the wait for the arrival of the latest superfluous purchase. Excitement when it arrives. Anticipation of its first proper use. Put it to one side and look for the next fix.

This is part of the reason that I have bought and sold instruments and gear. The other is a preference for 'new' things (new to me, that is, rather than brand new). I've always been one to tire quickly of things - in work I was great at starting and developing projects but one they became 'business as usual' I'd lose interest. In my hobbies (photography and music) I realised it was the same - a new camera or lens would motivate me to get out and snap away and then it would become the norm and I'd look for something else. It was expensive and while I had the money (part exchange and buying second hand helped) I realised it wasn't making me a better photographer and the enjoyment was the kit rather than the photography. Similarly with a new piece of musical gear. The excited anticipation of the box appearing on my doorstep etc etc.

The solution that works for me is to keep rather than trade some of the old gear and put it to one side. Now I find that I can move from the current favourite bass (or camera/lens)to one I haven't used for a few months and get a similar buzz. I have 8 basses on rotation (currently favouring the latest addition - my American P bass) along with a couple of pedals that have recently rejoined the board. A few weeks ago I got the headless out to play at a gig on a whim. It was great. 😃

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

If it’s your hobby/pastime/ interest and you have the money I don’t see a problem with it

^This is my take on it, too. I'm fortunate in that I love a rummage around on ebay or at auction houses and have quite a collection of many weird and wonderful musical instruments now. I guess it is compulsive behaviour but that's in every enthusiastic hobbyists nature. The only 'problems' are finding time to get around to playing them all and storage space.

• Like 3

At one point I owned nearly 50 guitars and basses not to mention numerous synthesisers, samplers and other studio hardware and loads of audio software, as well as amps cabs and effects both pedals and rack mounted. I'd also spent a serious amount of money transforming a room in my property to house it all in.

Today I am down to 9 guitars and basses and I only have 3 of those because I haven't got around to listing them for sale yet. All the amps cabs and effects have gone, replaced by a Helix Floor and an RCF745 FRFR. The studio hardware and software has also gone apart from Logic (a desktop and laptop to run it on) a Focusrite audio/MIDI interface and a single 3rd party instrument plug-in.

I don't need any more gear, however when I get around to selling those surplus guitars and basses I'll probably also sell the Burns Barracuda and replace it with a second Eastwood Hooky. Ideally I'd like to have both my Bass VIs replaced with instruments made by Gus, but that isn't likely to be affordable any time soon.

I enjoyed "collecting" but now I'm over it and concentrating on just having instruments that will actually get used.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, upside downer said:

^This is my take on it, too. I'm fortunate in that I love a rummage around on ebay or at auction houses and have quite a collection of many weird and wonderful musical instruments now. I guess it is compulsive behaviour but that's in every enthusiastic hobbyists nature. The only 'problems' are finding time to get around to playing them all and storage space.

And I also blame Basschat 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, SH73 said:

Threads about owing multiple basses and similar pop up like undesirable rodents invading our gardens. So here is another one. Although I don't own too many bass guitars but in my opinion there are more I use. In past couple of years I played mostly guitars and drums as they provide a better satisfaction. Bass is only used nowadays,IF, I record a song. So why do I have the need for multiple basses? One , I rarely use, the other I only bought as a " must have it" at the time going through crisis. Another, was a bargain and with further pick up upgrade it sounds and plays like a top of the range bass. Another , I totally modified, painted, it's the most comfortable to play with. So, taking a step back looking at them, I could probably sell three and make a decent amount and buy one I'm after. But I know deep inside that I would regret selling them, but they don't get used!  Anyone in a similar position? 🤔 

If i had a situation "money must be funny in a rich man's world'' - at start i would buy 5 different sounding feeling basses i like most, then would make a special room for collecting basses, guitars, uprights with their own interesting description and history. Currently i own 3 different basses which i like a lot and don't think to change my mantage till the end.

1 minute ago, three said:

The more I play basses (with some kind of aim), the less I buy them.  The instruments become less important than the music (and importantly, the company in which they are played).  Funny that.  And reassuring.

True. The less I play, the more the bass acquisition madness kicks in.

• Like 3