Why become a member? ×

Psychology behind collecting instruments

SH73

18 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

As far as tools are concerned, one usually doesn't recoup the cost of purchase of quality equipment in the space of a year.

Yes. Arbitrary length of time, again as an illustration. Maybe use lifetime? I doubt my bass is worth what I paid for it or more. I've had it for 20? Years. That's cost me about £25 a year. 

The point was the depreciation gets written off against the money you earn from its use. 

But the whole thing falls down if it's your hobby, you're just buying it for fun and using another source of income to fund it. So my point stands, the decision to have £30k worth of basses for most of us is for fun. I don't have a car for fun. 

Edited by TimR

My wife bless her calls it the same as shoes and handbags. Before anyone says shoes and handbags don't cost as much as top end basses go and check out the company in Moderna that have the exclusive deal to make leather luggage to fit Ferraris. They make the stuff for the teams as well.

9 minutes ago, Ralf1e said:

My wife bless her calls it the same as shoes and handbags. Before anyone says shoes and handbags don't cost as much as top end basses go and check out the company in Moderna that have the exclusive deal to make leather luggage to fit Ferraris. They make the stuff for the teams as well.

But at least she wears them, no?

3 hours ago, TimR said:

Yes. Arbitrary length of time, again as an illustration. Maybe use lifetime? I doubt my bass is worth what I paid for it or more. I've had it for 20? Years. That's cost me about £25 a year. 

The point was the depreciation gets written off against the money you earn from its use. 

But the whole thing falls down if it's your hobby, you're just buying it for fun and using another source of income to fund it. So my point stands, the decision to have £30k worth of basses for most of us is for fun. I don't have a car for fun. 

Are you saying you drive a 30k car and you play a £500 bass and you think it isn't worth more than you paid for it 20 years ago. I have nothing else to say other than you are a salesman's absolute dream come true.🤣

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Ralf1e said:

Are you saying you drive a 30k car and you play a £500 bass and you think it isn't worth more than you paid for it 20 years ago. I have nothing else to say other than you are a salesman's absolute dream come true.🤣

No. My car is leased for 4 years and my bass model can be found on ebay buy it now for c£280. But doubt it'll be worth that. 

I'd guess the majority of people driving 'new' cars are leasing or whatever the latest 'loan' model is. Not many will have paid cash. 

12 minutes ago, Grimalkin said:

At the end of the day, the real value is not in what you have, it's what you can play on it. That's what is important.

A kid that has put in hours and hours of concerted practise on a budget bass, doesn't need a Fodera to get hired.

It's all in the fingers.

and mind

Edited by Ralf1e

4 minutes ago, bubinga5 said:

I used to get it. Now just own 2 basses that I know are going to give me the best results.

Spoil sport lol All that time you save on decision making is lean bass playing though. It's a dirty job but somebody has to do it (quote) 😀

Edited by Ralf1e