Why become a member? ×

Calvin Harris.

bubinga5

For me being there is nowhere near enough new music recommendations on BC.Should be another section for it....Love this. 

Anyways this is cool as always its Mr Harris, so you know what your getting. Anyone know who his bass bass player is. Im thinking its Adam Wiles.?  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stewblack said:

Unless you're a time traveller then obviously yes.

It was released in 2022. So it's new. Shooby dooby dooby do.

S'funny, because I have the impression that I've been hearing stuff like this for the last... well, even longer than that. 'New'..? Newly released, maybe. :| Still, if it pleases...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

S'funny, because I have the impression that I've been hearing stuff like this for the last... well, even longer than that. 'New'..? Newly released, maybe. :| Still, if it pleases...

I wasn't commenting on whether I liked it or not. Just explaining what new means.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

This 👆 is 'new music'..? o.O

Come on. Yes, you have a point, but you don't really need to make it (again).

Lots of lovely Doobie Brothers, Michael Franks vibes going on. Sure it isn't breaking new ground but it is nice, good quality stuff.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

This 👆 is 'new music'..?

To be fair, the majority of new music doesn't half sound like music that's been done 1000 times before,albeit with an extra doo wah diddy or slightly different instrumentation or (God forbid!), a different key.

Anything that is seriously new and completely different tends to scare most folks so much that they turn into a sort of pitchfork- and torch-wielding mob, advancing on the evil monster and shouting "this isn't music!" and "the kids nowadays don't know nothing about a proper choon!".

:D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

There's been a bit of 70s funk/soul revival going on in the pop charts for a few years. 

Bruno Mars and Lizzo among others have been mining the decade for inspiration.

I tend to think it's mainly a positive thing, at least it's bringing the spotlight back onto things that sound like real instruments even if it's all actually done on a synth and a laptop.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Cato said:

There's been a bit of 70s funk/soul revival going on in the pop charts for a few years. 

Bruno Mars and Lizzo among others have been mining the decade for inspiration.

I tend to think it's mainly a positive thing, at least it's bringing the spotlight back onto things that sound like real instruments even if it's all actually done on a synth and a laptop.

This certainly seems to be the case and the first few bars in the OP definitely had me thinking, “I’ve heard this before,” so I certainly see Dad’s point. What goes around, comes around, especially in popular music. Back to ‘70s funk - yes please.

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mykesbass said:

Come on. Yes, you have a point, but you don't really need to make it (again).

Lots of lovely Doobie Brothers, Michael Franks vibes going on. Sure it isn't breaking new ground but it is nice, good quality stuff.

Mmm, Doobie Bros. Think I’ll dig out What Were Vices Are Now Habits.

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, lurksalot said:

There is, once a month, some very new music that appears as a pinned topic on this forum. Various styles , some unrecognisable , but very often quality stuff .

it appears to get pitiful attention from the majority on here ☹️

I used to listen and vote every month, but gave it a rest and never dropped back in. Will endeavour to do so again. But this does reflect on what @bubinga5says in the OP that there does seem to be an apathy towards new music on here.

17 hours ago, bubinga5 said:

Anyone know who his bass bass player is. Im thinking its Adam Wiles.?  

I believe Calvin Harris plays bass himself, at least he was credited playing bass on some of his earlier stuff?

I’d very much doubt the track has any playing on it at all, let alone bass guitar. Each section with bass, drums and keys is identical. Could be an audio loop but it all sounds “perfect”. No pitchforks here but IMHO it sounds like the backing track for an TV advert or could be played in a lift or a restaurant and I’d barely notice it.