Why become a member? ×

String cutting tool?

Martin E

Can someone please point me towards a pair of string cutters that actually work properly, something that will happily snip cleanly through a bottom  E in one go.

I've acquired several pairs of pliers, snips etc over the years which whilst fine for general wiring take several goes at getting through a string. Loads of stuff on Amazon and I don't want to pay a fortune just something that actually works?

Thanks

Martin

Edited by Martin E

5 hours ago, Jakester said:

I've always used things like this:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/bike-cable-and-housing-cutting-pliers/

As they're designed to cut through bike cable outer cleanly, so will make short work of bass strings. 

Ditto, string resistance is futile, they also work really well on bike cables, particularly the outer wound housing.  Facom tools - high quality and indispensable in my youth when running various Citroens.

Edited by 3below

I believe anything of quality that is called a side cutter will do the job. You  need one with a big enough set of handles that gives you the leverage on the mouth to snip. Find a place selling tools to tradesmen and tell then what you need to cut. Stainless steel cable. You might pay a little more than 'HomeDepot" but it will be a one time purchase.

Sometimes the threads here kill me.  Just buy a pair of wirecutters that look like the photo @Bigguy2017 posted.  B&Q £5.00.  They're perfectly fit for purpose.

My nephew (8) showed some interest while I was changing some strings and I let him cut them to length, even the B-string.  He then busied himself cutting the old strings into lengths of a few inches.

If these don't work, well frankly there's no hope.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

Sometimes the threads here kill me.  Just buy a pair of wirecutters that look like the photo @Bigguy2017 posted.  B&Q £5.00.  They're perfectly fit for purpose.

Yup. Avoiding anything from Poundland made of cheese, any half decent pair of side cutters will do the job. 

• Haha 3

Thanks everyone, I'll get one of those Planet Waves jobbies and enjoy the luxury of a string winder, good price as well.

I have several pairs of supposedly half decent cutters and none of them will cleanly cut through a string hence my question.

• Like 1

I bought a pair of Bahco cutters about 18 or so years ago, they specifically are designed for cutting hard steel wire, 2mm capacity on a single core. they're still going strong and have handled a .125 stainless steel low B with no issues at all.

Bahco cutters

they're not cheap but they are quite compact and work perfectly and give a nice smooth cut. I know that some of the technicians where i work have the same cutters and guard them jealously! 

I have one of the planet wave tools (part of a goodie bag when the NYXL strings were launched) and they work fine but the cut isn't as clean as the bahco cutters

Matt

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Martin E said:

Thanks everyone, I'll get one of those Planet Waves jobbies and enjoy the luxury of a string winder, good price as well.

I have several pairs of supposedly half decent cutters and none of them will cleanly cut through a string hence my question.

Most (?) side cutters are for electrical or electronics work and are only rated for copper wire. The jaws on these will dent when cutting hardened steel wire, and the jaws may break.

Cutters rated for hard steel wire are required for cutting strings.

Edited by Bigguy2017
typos
  • Like 4

"Suitable for piano string" are the cutters in need. Steel is real. Other pliers work for copper or thin iron only.

I have small needle-nose pliers in my bass bag. Instead of cutting, I bend the string a few times to cut it to length with the help of the pliers.

4 hours ago, itu said:

"Suitable for piano string" are the cutters in need. Steel is real. Other pliers work for copper or thin iron only.

I have small needle-nose pliers in my bass bag. Instead of cutting, I bend the string a few times to cut it to length with the help of the pliers.

You can just see the word piano on the handles of the bahco cutters, I've just given them a quick check and the cutting edges are still in good shape, 

Matt 

16706266018264596099211814305736.jpg

• Like 1