Why become a member? ×

Top builders/luthiers in the UK?

Oomo

Just wondering who the top bass builders in the UK are considered too be these days? E.g. the UK equivalents at a similar level to Sadowsky, Alembic, MTD, Fodera etc., i.e. high quality non-mass produced instruments that are much in demand.

Mostly just out of curiosity - it dawned on me that I really don't know much about UK builders at all...

The only names that sprang to mind were ACG up in Scotland, and Wilcock down in London.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, BassApprentice said:

I could be wrong - but apart from Wal I think you'd struggle to spec a build from a UK luthier that would cost the same as the likes of Fodera/Alembic.

Not sure why as the quality is there but I haven't seen a UK built bass go for £8k plus.

If you piled on enough options to a Gus you could reach that price point. A few years back I got a price for Simon to build me a Bass VI using his G3 baritone model as a starting point which ended up being about £6500, and that was without a lot of the additional features that you could add to a more conventional bass from Gus.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

If you piled on enough options to a Gus you could reach that price point. A few years back I got a price for Simon to build me a Bass VI using his G3 baritone model as a starting point which ended up being about £6500, and that was without a lot of the additional features that you could add to a more conventional bass from Gus.

I guess dropping that sort of cash for an instrument was of no concern for the likes of Prince. 

Great looking instruments indeed.

Another +1 for ACG.

I met Alan about 16 years ago, and it wasn't long after that I ordered my first ACG.

Since then, I have moved on all other basses, and I can't see me playing any other basses every again.

The build quality is as good as, if not better than any other high end bass I have played, and as mentioned above, Alan's patience and customer service is second to none.

I've now got 7 basses, plus 2 guitars, and of course I want more!

Here's a few of them...

image.thumb.png.9da43f118f70a17a4ed6a43d8fcfa8f7.png image.thumb.png.765de05cc69e91610b142852ff9bc4a6.png

image.thumb.png.d14a921ba0488057f3c2a780099d9d21.png image.thumb.png.d04d03790b9ca6e9252ba168e3710b5a.png

• Like 7

3 hours ago, BassApprentice said:

I could be wrong - but apart from Wal I think you'd struggle to spec a build from a UK luthier that would cost the same as the likes of Fodera/Alembic.

Not sure why as the quality is there but I haven't seen a UK built bass go for £8k plus.

We're not as good at building up our brands and them creating brand equity as our US cousins? 

Some of the US brands also has a very distinctive core tone, if you want a Sadowsky sound you probably need a Sadowsky. If you want the Ken Smith thing, buy a Ken smith etc...

With the exception of Status and Wal a lot of our builders make instruments less focused on their core tone thing. Gus I guess unmatched visually.
I think that makes it a harder sell to get brand equity... Every single Overwater I've played and heard has been an amazing professional level instrument - and with a tone that could sit anywhere in any genre. I guess that's why so many pro players use them... but that tone that could sit anywhere also means it doesn't stand out as much? 
(I dunno, that's my theory, maybe I'm just annoyed I didn't buy that Overwater @briansbrew was selling last week? :( )

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Fellas,  let's not make this a " so and so are best" thread. 

We are privileged to have the choice of so many great basses made on our  doorsteps. 

I've owned many of our UK built brands all of them fantastic in their own way.

Enjoy them all. 

Fair point, and sorry for derailing.

We are very much spoilt for choice in the UK, it's a shame that our builders aren't given the profile they deserve.

• Like 1

There are lots of options for UK designed and built instruments. I have realised that for the majority of my playing years (almost 50 now) has been done with guitars, basses and synthesisers made here.

In order:

Self-made solid electric balalaika

Self-made solid electric guitar

Burns Sonic Bass (original 60s Made in London)

EDP Wasp

Overwater Original 5-string Bass
FretKing Esprit V Custom (from the days when they were made in a workshop behind Musical Exchanges in Birmingham)

Gus G1 Guitar

Gus G3 5-string Bass

Sei Offset Flamboyant Fretless 5-string Bass

The only non-UK instruments I have spent any serious playing time with:

Kimbara acoustic guitar (my first proper instrument)

Korg MS20

Casio CZ5000 with a Yamaha KX5 Keytar

Warwick StarBass II

Burns Barracuda (designed in the UK, made in the far East)

Eastwood Hooky Bass 6 PRO (essentially an exact copy of a UK designed and made Shergold Marathon 6 string bass)

• Like 1