Why become a member? ×

PLS HELP - practising bass quietly

Amy Smith

15 hours ago, Amy Smith said:

Hey guys, desperately in need of some advice as I don't know much about this so please bear with me.

Long and short of it is, I live in a flat/apartment and like to practise at night so need a way of practising where I can hear an amplified sound in some headphones.

I have a small basic practise amp, sounds good when playing through the cab but I tried plugging headphones into the 6.35mm headphone hole on the amp and it sounds horrendous. (I don't have headphones with a 6.35mm jack so used an adapter with some normal everyday headphones. I have no idea if the problem is the adapter, the headphones being too basic, or the headphones input/system on the amp. Not keen to buy some expensive headphones and then find that it still sounds bad.)

I've been down a massive wormhole trying to figure out how I can use my current amp to practise with headphones, and have established that another method may be better. In the process I came across the mini headphone amps, 'amPlugs', from VOX/Blackstar and the like, which seem good as I wouldn't need to go through my regular amp. However I'm not keen on the fact that they're battery powered as I'd get through a fortune in batteries. No idea if a mains powered version of something like this exists.

I've read some things about using an audio interface to plug in both the bass and a pair of regular headphones. I have no idea what I'd be looking to buy though.

Basically, I don't have hundreds to spend and I'd ideally like a mains-powered solution, where I can use either normal headphones that I already own or a pair that don't cost too much. Does that solution exist? What method should I use and what category of product should I be looking to buy? 

Thanks so much.

Sincerely, a helpless noob

Everyone has chopped on with a good solution, but given you already have an amp you’re happy with, then why bother investing lots in something else?

Stick an Ad in the wanted section below and I’m certain someone will have some headphones for sale at a good price you can use.

I did have a set of Behringer over ear headphones I would give you but I gave them to my mum!

These are £12, come with the adaptor and will do the job.

Yes, it won’t sound as good as a £400 WAZA air, but they’re a tenner and will do just fine for quiet practice.

8F72D035-647F-4961-B9B9-B6CA9D1B0EA7.png

Edited by Burns-bass
  • Thanks 1

I practice a lot totally unplugged, I think you won't find a cheaper alternative.

That said I recently bought a brand new Boss Katana 110 Bass combo, mainly because of one function (to first give it a try and then assess) : the 1 Watt output power position to play at very very very low level with a decent sound : it's for my ears when they need to rest (Menière disease and tinnitus related to these not so frequent episodes these days), not the neighbours as we don't really have close ones.

Verdict: it sounds really really good at 1 Watt, has plenty of possibilities with it's integrated multi-fx, has a very good headphones preamp (more on that later), is quite light and is fantastic at full power, which made me sell my two AER's...

Everyone is offering his best headphones of choice, which is great, but you seem to forget that on cheap (and on most) amps the headphones out is relying on the cheapest opamp the builder could find and this means an awful sound through headphones.

That said @Amy Smith seems to have vanished like 99% of the time...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Amy Smith said:

Hey guys, desperately in need of some advice as I don't know much about this so please bear with me.

Long and short of it is, I live in a flat/apartment and like to practise at night so need a way of practising where I can hear an amplified sound in some headphones.

I have a small basic practise amp, sounds good when playing through the cab but I tried plugging headphones into the 6.35mm headphone hole on the amp and it sounds horrendous. (I don't have headphones with a 6.35mm jack so used an adapter with some normal everyday headphones. I have no idea if the problem is the adapter, the headphones being too basic, or the headphones input/system on the amp. Not keen to buy some expensive headphones and then find that it still sounds bad.)

I've been down a massive wormhole trying to figure out how I can use my current amp to practise with headphones, and have established that another method may be better. In the process I came across the mini headphone amps, 'amPlugs', from VOX/Blackstar and the like, which seem good as I wouldn't need to go through my regular amp. However I'm not keen on the fact that they're battery powered as I'd get through a fortune in batteries. No idea if a mains powered version of something like this exists.

I've read some things about using an audio interface to plug in both the bass and a pair of regular headphones. I have no idea what I'd be looking to buy though.

Basically, I don't have hundreds to spend and I'd ideally like a mains-powered solution, where I can use either normal headphones that I already own or a pair that don't cost too much. Does that solution exist? What method should I use and what category of product should I be looking to buy? 

Thanks so much.

Sincerely, a helpless noob

I bought a NUX Amplug unit a few months ago as I wanted something I could travel with easily. I love it. I think it'll work well for you.

Don't worry about the battery life: it lasts quite a while and it's rechargeable (via USB, froma  computer, mobile phone charger, etc).

You can simply plug in and play. Or play along to some tracks on your phone via bluetooth. Or use it to record on your computer as it works as a soundcard too. 

The older version (which I have, MP-2) is around £60. The newer version (pro) is more like £100-110 and it has a USB-C instead of a micro-USB (if that matters to you), and volume controls on the unit itself. The MP-2 didn't have a volume on the unit, and I didn't want to use teh app simply to turn volume up/down, so I got a £5 passive in-line volume control for my earphones, done.

It sounds really nice for guitar. For bass, once you strip down the effects and leave an amp/speaker cab it's pretty good too (can use effects if you like of course). You've got 7 presets stored on the unit, so it's easy to have different sounds at your fingertips.

The only thing I don't like about this kind of units is I don't feel comfortable with the way they stick out of the bass. I just know I'm going to hit it on something and break it and maybe damage my bass' output socket in the process. I got a little extension cable to solve this: one end plugs into the bass and the MP-2 on the other end. Mine is about 50cm long, so that I can put it in my pocket, or just laying next to me. It is out of the way like this. But that's just me, it's nnot necessary.  

12 hours ago, nekomatic said:

If your amp sounds OK through its speaker then I can’t think of a good reason it shouldn’t work through headphones, unless the headphones are rubbish. Do they sound good for listening to music from another source?

It seems unlikely that your adapter is at fault, because there’s not much to it except some contacts, but it’s always possible. 

I rarely like the sound of the headphone out on combos unless hey're modellers. Often they're like an afterthought with very little in terms of sound quality, even if through the built-in speaker it sounds ok.

• Like 1

On 02/12/2022 at 17:59, Bassfinger said:

Tascam GB10. Headphones. Lead. Batteries. Sorted.

Another vote for this - use rechargeable batteries, obviously (which you could also do with an Amplug) or power it through USB - a phone charger with a USB lead with mini USB plug will do that.

Other alternatives - Zoom B3, B3n, and any number of other larger format multi-effects - the Zoom stompbox multieffects won'[t do it though. Small mixer (Behringer Xenyx series for example).

It does sound like you need better headphones. Worth a look here: https://www.studiospares.com/headphones-and-speakers/closed-back-headphones.htm?product_list_order=price_asc

I have a pair of obsolete Sennheisers (HD209 IIRC) and a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M20x. I'm very happy with them both.

• Like 2

Here's my set up

Focusrite solo.https://www.gear4music.com/Recording-and-Computers/Focusrite-Scarlett-Solo-3rd-Gen/2YSE

These Headphones..https://www.amazon.co.uk/OneOdio-Bluetooth-Headphones-Professional-Monitoring/dp/B07MQSFW9R/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=AMTW0YFAXI9O&keywords=oneodio+fusion+a70+dj+headphones&qid=1670105337&sprefix=one+odio+fusion+a+70+dj+headphones%2Caps%2C52&sr=8-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1 which are great for the price

Dont know what your Budget is but great set up, and a free download of Audacity will get you up and running, great sound for little money really ,and you wouldn't need your amp for silent practice all this assuming you have a laptop or pc that is.

Lots of good suggestions, I often just don’t bother plugging in, or use an old zoom multi-fx.

One point worth making, I’m sure many of us here suffer from tinnitus, mine was 100% caused by headphones. Go easy on the volume, particularly over extended periods. Once the damage is done, it is irreversible.

• Like 1

The amplug is a good cheap option, but I tend to practise through my computer using a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2; the Solo is also a good option. You don't need any special software unless you want to record yourself and if you want to experiment with different effects before buying a pedal then you can get free DAW software and free plugins.

• Like 1

She doesn’t need to spend more money on boxes. Better headphones will do the job! Several of the solutions here cost hundreds of pounds and involve lots of wires and complexity. 

Use your amp, get better headphones, and save money.

Edited by Burns-bass
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, binky_bass said:

Isn't there a thread about that somewhere... 🤔 

Maybe they have, but "I want to learn to walk but don't want to have my amputed legs replaced" is somewhat limiting and observers are correct to point out that the restrictions they have placed upon themselves may well incompatible with their goals? 

So long as folk are polite and constructive its up to them what they suggest.

I use an Ashdown Tone Pocket for this purpose, and I've been very happy with it. Used ones come up on eBay from time to time at reasonable prices.

There's one on eBay now for £68 + postage. I'd post the link (I'm not the seller BTW), but not sure if this is allowed.

On 02/12/2022 at 19:07, ead said:

This.  I have the slightly earlier bass version and a (GB-10 as a spare).  Really easy and you can do cool stuff like slow playback down without affecting pitch.  They don't come up that often preloved which probably tells you what you need to know.

If you're anywhere near Preston happy to lend you the spare one to try out.

I suspect that they don't appear on preloved because they're all f*cked as my 3 are.

Tascam won't repair them which is really annoying. When working they're quite good, but the slowdown isn't in the same league as slowdown software like transcribe, which is much easier to use.

If you've got a pc I'd recommend a usb audio interface and transcribe  or something similar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 03/12/2022 at 12:29, mcnach said:

I rarely like the sound of the headphone out on combos unless hey're modellers. Often they're like an afterthought with very little in terms of sound quality, even if through the built-in speaker it sounds ok.

+1 for this. My original practice amp was a little Eden EC8 combo, and although the speaker output was OK for its size, the headphone output was lousy, even through my ZS10s.  I replaced the EC8 with an Eden WTX-264 head, and the difference was amazing - the headphone output was far better. I can also use the head with a 112 or 210 cab in situations where my normal rig would be overkill, so there's the added flexibility. Plus, the head's a lot smaller than the combo, so win-win.

4 hours ago, MilkyBarKid said:

I suspect that they don't appear on preloved because they're all f*cked as my 3 are.

Tascam won't repair them which is really annoying. When working they're quite good, but the slowdown isn't in the same league as slowdown software like transcribe, which is much easier to use.

If you've got a pc I'd recommend a usb audio interface and transcribe  or something similar.

Which variant are you talking about? I've got two GB10s, which both work fine except that for some reason the USB transfer doesn't seem to work on one of them. I can always just do a physical copy to the card if necessary. Pitch shift and slowdown work fine.