Why become a member? ×

Creating a monster (lead singer problem)

Mickeyboro

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

IMO, if you've reached the point where you feel the need to air this on a publicly accessible part of the internet, then either you or the vocalist needs to go.

one of the advantages of Basschat is that singers (and guitarist) don't come on forums for bass players. at least I hope our Singer doesn't 😂

• Haha 4

16 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

one of the advantages of Basschat is that singers (and guitarist) don't come on forums for bass players. at least I hope our Singer doesn't 😂

But you never know what results Google (or other search engines) might throw up. Everywhere on Basschat (apart form Off Topic, eBay and those sections only visible to Supporting Members) is indexed and will be discoverable.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

But you never know what results Google (or other search engines) might throw up. Everywhere on Basschat (apart form Off Topic, eBay and those sections only visible to Supporting Members) is indexed and will be discoverable.

Well I haven’t mentioned the band name, my screen name isn’t my real name and the guy in question doesn’t have a mobile let alone a smartphone. So the risk is worth it for the collective wisdom of my fellow forumites.

Anyhow, seems like I will be saying this to his face shortly if I go with the majority. I appreciate every post by the way, as a problem shared is a problem halved!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NHM said:

I think this is fair enough. He's got to sing the material (and thus front the band), so should have the final say in what's in and what's out (as long as the material falls within the agreed genre for the band). The band is most likely to be a success if the front person owns the material and performs it with style and gusto. Covers bands that choose the set by committee are more hobbyists IMO.

In my last band, we had a rule that anyone could veto a new song. It helped that we got on very well, but that may not work for every band.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

In my last band, we had a rule that anyone could veto a new song. It helped that we got on very well, but that may not work for every band.

We used to have this in an old band. I'm now I'm a band with people more on my wavelength and the number of times I've said "I can't stand this song, but I'll do it" and I end up either enjoying an aspect of playing it or recognising the audience enjoys it, that's enough for me. It's when people refuse without trying because they don't like it, don't know it, didn't like the video, their brother had it on vinyl and wouldn't let them listen to it... Or best yet my old drummer "NOBODY KNOWS THIS SONG!!" For Bad Case of Loving You by Robert Palmer. The people at the Grammy Awards who voted it best rock vocal of 1979 knew it.l, so I'd be willing to bet a fiver an average pub crowd might be able to hum the chorus.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Mickeyboro said:

Well I haven’t mentioned the band name, my screen name isn’t my real name and the guy in question doesn’t have a mobile let alone a smartphone. 

If you want to give me his mobile, I can happily text him the gist of this thread, start the ball rolling so to speak?

😂

• Haha 5

I'm making the assumption that the rest of the band are feeling the same way about the situation?

If you haven't discussed it together, it's time to have a band meeting.

If they feel the same way, then sack the current singer.

If they don't feel the same, then walk away.

Or stick around and pander to the singer...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mickeyboro said:

Well I haven’t mentioned the band name, my screen name isn’t my real name and the guy in question doesn’t have a mobile let alone a smartphone. So the risk is worth it for the collective wisdom of my fellow forumites.

Anyhow, seems like I will be saying this to his face shortly if I go with the majority. I appreciate every post by the way, as a problem shared is a problem halved!

So you want me to go ahead with the horses head?

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

We used to have this in an old band. I'm now I'm a band with people more on my wavelength and the number of times I've said "I can't stand this song, but I'll do it" and I end up either enjoying an aspect of playing it or recognising the audience enjoys it, that's enough for me. It's when people refuse without trying because they don't like it, don't know it, didn't like the video, their brother had it on vinyl and wouldn't let them listen to it... Or best yet my old drummer "NOBODY KNOWS THIS SONG!!" For Bad Case of Loving You by Robert Palmer. The people at the Grammy Awards who voted it best rock vocal of 1979 knew it.l, so I'd be willing to bet a fiver an average pub crowd might be able to hum the chorus.

Suspect many will remember the MTV video that broke it?

39 minutes ago, yorks5stringer said:

Suspect many will remember the MTV video that broke it?

I think you may be thinking of Addicted To Love?

Also, rather than the horse’s head, it might be kinder to send you down and do three-point turns on his driveway. In the words of Mr Palmer, that would ‘make my day’😁

8 minutes ago, Mickeyboro said:

I think you may be thinking of Addicted To Love?

Also, rather than the horse’s head, it might be kinder to send you down and do three-point turns on his driveway. In the words of Mr Palmer, that would ‘make my day’😁

Re Addicted to love you may be correct, they all sound the same from that era with Mr Palmer, I was more into his earlier stuff with the Meters and Little Feet (Sneakin Sally etc). Saw him 2 or 3 times  back in the day.  Can't do the turns on his drive unless I nick an Ocado Van, can you give me a couple of hours to see what turns up across the road?

5 minutes ago, yorks5stringer said:

, I was more into his earlier stuff with the Meters and Little Feet (Sneakin Sally etc). Saw him 2 or 3 times  back in the day.  

The first 4 albums were indeed fabulous. But since he is no longer with us I can’t offer him an audition… 

• Haha 2

This year we got rid of our "Angus" in a acdc band. The guy was just too much work, wanting everything his way, surly always down attitude and he ignored all attempts to contact him. So the rest of the band got together and he got the elbow and now he tells anyone who listens that it`s all our fault. It was quite difficult to replace him but now we have someone who is a super nice guy and it has worked out great.

In your situation, for me, his attitude towards the band would be enough to can him and the fact that in this day and age he has no mobile phone, whats that about?

I would get together and speak to the rest of the band and if you all feel the same, get shot of him. It might take you some time to find another singer but as my example above, a change can really work out. Life is too short to work with a bell end.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BigRedX said:

oops 🤣

• Haha 3

I'd also be in discussions with the rest of the band with a view to oust him.

You've said he can'/won't:

• Turn up to practice (vocal cues can be so helpful when learning a song!)
  • Communicate effectively
  • Show empathy for new/current band mates
  • Work with others to reach a compromise
  • Learn lyrics to songs he's been singing for 30 years

What can he do? Sounds like he's already bored of the material, but so stuck in his ways that he won't learn anything new. Is there any positive to having someone like that around?

• Like 1

We had a 'difficult' singer in the band for a couple of years. We persevered with her as she was a former name and we got better gigs on the strength of that, Trouble was, she knew that and started making demands about new material in the set - modern electro pop/disco that didn't exactly suit the 4 not so young guys who though we were a blues band! 

We asked her to go, eventually, which she managed to turn around on social media to her deciding to leave. The gigs didn't dry up we never played any of her choices again and got back to enjoying what we play.

She was a 'real professional', but still used a music stand for her lyric sheets. She also liked to talk to the audience between songs - only problem was that her speaking voice was very quite whereas her singing voice could fill a room even without the PA - so when she was mumbling into the mic about whatever she mumbled about, no one could hear a word she said. 

I remember her introducing one song as 'her favourite song ever' and then pulling a crumpled sheet of paper out of her pocket so she could read the lyrics as she sang.

We are now a happy three piece, no lyric sheets, not even a set list - the guitarist starts playing whatever he feels will go down well and bass & drums join in. Much more fun!

• Like 4

Thanks for all the responses, guys - it’s always good to hear what you think!

Of course my original post was very negative - there is much this guy brings to the stage, including image and virtuosic harmonica, so we would likely need two people to replace him. This of course changes the dynamic - if only it were as easy as one in, one out…

There haven’t been many who think he could be rehabilitated. I’d like to hear anyone who thinks we could go down that route. (We did have a band meeting a while back to democratise choosing new material, but this seems to have been forgotten about).

Edited by Mickeyboro
  • Like 1

A band meeting over a beer, away from the rehearsal room is called for. Sounds like you need to clear the air and get everyone's' expectations and commitments out in the open so you can move on to the next level (or not), setting some goals for the next twelve months. Then you'll be able to decide whether you have a future with them. Beware throwing the baby out with the bathwater: a couple of years ago I was in a really promising band that struggled for a year to find a lead singer once our original one left - lured by the West End - and in the end a great project just petered out, although we are all still good mates.

• Like 1

As some of you will know my solution to singer problems was to become one ! Clearly this isn't for everybody but I would say this about it.

Don't ever tell me you can't sing. What you mean is you don't sing. Because of that you haven't learned how to use your voice - what suits it etc etc. When you started playing bass how good were you ? Gigging standard 5 mins after you first picked one up ??? Of course not - you took time to practise and learn new skills and your competence grew. Same with singing. 

• Like 7