Why become a member? ×

Bands with 2 (or more) bass players

mario_buoninfante

5 minutes ago, toneknob said:

Seems the appropriate place to mention - years ago I saw something on telly, possibly the artsy show on BBC2 which probably became Jools' Later at some point - anyway, imagine a dozen or so bass players in a crescent up against a white background all playing the main riff from Black Sabbath's "Iron Man" at a progressively slower and slower tempo. Anyone else remember this or any idea what it might have been?

This isn't it but you reminded me of it :D 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, mario_buoninfante said:

no jams allowed

In that case, how's about some harmolodic jazz? Ornette Coleman's Prime Time often played with 2 bassists - here he's with Jamaaladeen Tacuma (pink Kubicki) and Al McDowell, and for the sake of symmetry there's 2 guitars, and 2 drums as well (but only 1 sax)

• Like 2

Three popular bassists did form a band in which they all played bass.

Bassists are  Andy Rourke, Gary "Mani" Mounfield, and Peter Hook. The band is called Freebase (see what they did there?)

From wikipedia:

Peter Hook stated that all of the songs have three basses; "Mani does the low part, Andy Rourke in the middle and I do the high bit"

• Like 1

Southampton band Toupé were 2 bassists and a drummer. Mighty fine band that my band had the pleasure of supporting a couple of times in the late noughties. There was a Zappa/Primus vibe about their music.

Grant Sharkey (50% of the bass section) is currently halfway through a solo project of recording 40 albums in 20 years.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

Does this count?

Herbie Flowers on electric bass, and Herbie Flowers on double bass...

It reminded me I tried to play both parts at the same time on a fretless and went completely nuts, but I came close just before I heard the sirens with the blue lights and they gave me a nice shirt buttoned at the back.

I formed a quatuor some 22 years ago with 3 basses (one holding the same groove all along, one being always distorted with effects and one being a soloing fretless) and a terrific drummer, we rehearsed during 6 months for a unique concert, which by the way was sold out (some people must be masochistic as we had a standing ovation).

There was only one tune of close to 47 minutes called Stuyvenbergh (Arhythmic Deconstructing) and the band was called Mildje! (written exactly like this).

This is a never starting piece going into different places at the same time, sometimes gathering and ending up like a hope, which was an utopia.

The Stuyvenberg(h) was Queen Fabiola's castle and afterwards the place were the Belgian government took some of its decisions, so you might better get the approach.

We only recorded one rehearsal just to see if the arhythmic deconstructing was in place. 🤦🏻‍♂️

• Like 1