Why become a member? ×

Bands with 2 (or more) bass players

mario_buoninfante

Hi,

I was checking out Dele Sosimi (keyboard player with Fela Kuti, who's playing in London this Sat) and I saw on YouTube that sometimes in his band he has 2 bass players.
I've always been fascinated by the idea of having more than 1 bass in a band. I remember the first time I heard about it was when I was a teenager and they told me there was an Italian underground band that had 2 basses. Never seen/heard them though.
Then I remember years after that, I discovered Tortoise and they used to have 2 basses in the early days. I liked that a lot!

Any other band worth sharing that have 2 (or more) basses? Any direct (or not direct) experience to share?

6 minutes ago, mario_buoninfante said:

What genre do you guys play?

Spose you'd call it PunkFunk with a psychedelic edge!

We've got shouty (and occasionally melodic) vox, slightly crazed guitar that's a bit Hawkwindy, funkyish drums, bass that plays simple root type punky lines and me going widdleywee - sometimes with full Royal Blood split tone and sometimes with my newly programmed Bootsy tone.

Here's a hint of mobile phone footage from the excellent Percy's in Whitchurch: (edit, we're Choked)

https://fb.watch/gPhGKLXt0l/

Edited by Leonard Smalls
  • Like 1

I've been in a couple of bands with two bassists.

In The Junkyard Dogs @mcdaddy played lead guitar while I played bass. In The Soul Seniors @songofthewind plays bass while I play keyboards (although @mcdaddy depped on bass for a couple of gigs too).

Don't think that's what the OP had in mind, though ...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

I've been in a couple of bands with two bassists.

In The Junkyard Dogs @mcdaddy played lead guitar while I played bass. In The Soul Seniors @songofthewind plays bass while I play keyboards (although @mcdaddy depped on bass for a couple of gigs too).

Don't think that's what the OP had in mind, though ...

Yeah, I meant 2 bassists both playing bass, that's good to know anyway :)

I was quite keen on Tits Of Death back in the mid/late '00s. I'll be surprised if this post doesn't get auto-corrected, but here's a link to photos from one of their 12 Bar Club shows https://nicolai.click/tits-of-death-12-bar

Ah, yes - also they had two bass players, which was the point I had almost completely forgotten. Sadly none of the photos shows both in the same shot, but anyway.

• Like 1

With apologies for inflicting them on people again, may I present Evil Blizzard.

Line-up used to be four bass players, a singing drummer, and a dancing pig, now it's three bass players (one of whom usually plays baritone guitar), a guitarist who used to play bass, a singing drummer, and a synth-playing pig.

• Like 4

Seems the appropriate place to mention - years ago I saw something on telly, possibly the artsy show on BBC2 which probably became Jools' Later at some point - anyway, imagine a dozen or so bass players in a crescent up against a white background all playing the main riff from Black Sabbath's "Iron Man" at a progressively slower and slower tempo. Anyone else remember this or any idea what it might have been?

• Like 1