Why become a member? ×

Companies That Do Things Right!

binky_bass

6 hours ago, chris_b said:

Who does things right?

In my experience, ..., OBBM Cables, ....... to name a few.

That's very kind of you to say so Chris.

I always adopted the attitude that I would treat my customers in the same way as which I would wish to be treated as a customer. 

In my former Corporate life I was always told that "Customer is King".  It seems that this is lost on some of today's businesses.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, thodrik said:

When Gibson put automatic tuners on all their instruments with no option to request the outdated 'normal' tuners. Designed entirely with the musician in mind, this innovation allowed musicians to spend more time playing music rather as opposed to wasting time tuning their instrument.

I bought Vigier Passion II, and strung her with D'Addarios, because the system stays in tune for ages. Marriage made in heaven.

3 hours ago, pbasspecial said:

Fender - leads. Replaced at least three of them free of charge!

My choice was Neutrik plugs and Gotham cables, because they do not break. Another marriage...

4 hours ago, thodrik said:

When Gibson put automatic tuners on all their instruments with no option to request the outdated 'normal' tuners. Designed entirely with the musician in mind, this innovation allowed musicians to spend more time playing music rather as opposed to wasting time tuning their instrument. 

Unfortunately the general public were too resistant to change to truly appreciate this groundbreaking consumer-friendly technological development. 

This is sarcasm, right?

• Haha 3

25 minutes ago, thodrik said:

I thought it was obvious on account that I am not Henry Juszkiewicz and he is the only person on planet earth who thought it was a good idea.

Just checking I was right.  I nearly spat my tea out when I saw Gibson mentioned in this context of companies that do things right :D

Edited by neepheid
  • Haha 3

First of all... Gallien Krueger, only contacted their aftersales once as a tweeter (somehow) failed in my cab. Replacement sent FOC within a few days! Other than that, can't fault the fact that I've had a 700 RB2 for the last 13 years and never had a single fault... although recently the tuning mute indicator LED has failed 😱

Guitar Centre Southsea (local shop) are always brilliant.

Northwest guitars are great every time I deal with them.

Before PMT took over, Nevada in Portsmouth were great! They sold me my Ibanez brand new with £700 knocked off the list price... maybe I can see why they were taken over!

Being serious, I have always found D'addario to be very good. I once received a set of D'addarios with a missing E string from Stringbusters who went bust immediately after I received an order. I contacted D'addario UK, who promptly sent me a whole new set free of charge. 

EBS are also great to deal with when I contact them every 3 years to get a new replacement red bulb for the Fafner when it blows. 

15 hours ago, thodrik said:

I thought it was obvious on account that I am not Henry Juszkiewicz and he is the only person on planet earth who thought it was a good idea.

Loved it on my darkfire, worked really well, miss the darkfire, so at least one more person. It obviously shouldn't have been put on all the models as obviously guitarists are even worse than bassists for not trusting anything made within a decade of wwii, but it was good where it was.

As to companies, Ashdown, Wunjo, Stick Enterprises, Smooth hound, Shuker have all given me great service.

31 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

Indeed. Bought my first ever amp at Telecomms when it was in Stamshaw, before the move to North End.

As a kid I used to walk there at least once a week, and when I started working I used to go there regularly to buy a new boss pedal - wish I had them all now, would be worth a fortune!

Bought many things there, including my westone, my first 'proper' guitar. and a roland electric piano, and almost a gibson the paul, which I always regretted not being able to get, and have recently corrected the lack of!

My amps were all second hand from either Courtney and walkers or the little shop in New Road.

• Like 2

Spector when it was run by Stuart Spector & PJ. Phone them with any issue and they'd pick up the phone themselves and sort it for you. Now they're owned by the huge Korg organisation I prefer to deal direct with the fab UK distributor 'Barnes & Mullins' who look after me well.

GK were terrible when handled over here by Polar Audio but now they're handling stuff themselves I've seen a huge improvement in direct customer service.

3 minutes ago, cetera said:

Spector when it was run by Stuart Spector & PJ. Phone them with any issue and they'd pick up the phone themselves and sort it for you. Now they're owned by the huge Korg organisation I prefer to deal direct with the fab UK distributor 'Barnes & Mullins' who look after me well.

GK were terrible when handled over here by Polar Audio but now they're handling stuff themselves I've seen a huge improvement in direct customer service.

To be fair, I had one dealing with Polar and they weren't too bad. But obviously my experience could be a fluke!

• Like 1

Velbon (tripods) - Faultless. I have a decades old Sherpa tripod and the quick release lever broke. They sent me a replacement FOC.

Schaller - faultless. While I was restoring the Gibson Victory it had a broken tuner (screw broke inside the capstan). Turns out the tuners were Gibson branded M4S units. I emailed them asking for a replacement capstan and screw, asking for a price of course. They sent me FOC 4x the parts I was looking for, a sticker and a bunch of picks. Was emailing back and forth with the MD most of the time too. They had absolutely zero obligation to do anything. Respect.

AMD (computer processors) - bit of a funny one this. I was looking to buy a K6-III processor to replace my K6-2 and couldn't find one anywhere. So I guessed the email address of someone fairly high up in the company who was quoted in an article online and had a good moan about availability and asking where I could find one. I guessed correctly and to my amazement, she replied. Not to tell me to naff off - quite the opposite. My brass neck must have impressed because she offered to send me one FOC and asked if that would make the situation better! Hell yeah! She wasn't joking and a few days later I received a 450MHz K6-III. It was a good 'un too, overclocked to 500MHz no bother. Still dumbfounded to this day.

Edited by neepheid

3 music related companies come to mind that have been above & beyond in their after service.

Hercules.  I had a stand that was a couple of years old & the plastic bits went sticky, so I emailed to ask if they knew how to remove the sticky residue. They asked for my details & sent me a new stand. 

Roli.  My Rise25 which was about 3 years old, developed a charging fault & wouldn’t charge over USB. I asked them if they knew how I could fix it or what it would cost. They sent me a returns label (paid for shipping) & fixed it free of charge. 

Cambridge Audio.  I got a pair of Melomania 1+ earbuds last Xmas. A couple of months ago they wouldn’t turn on & had no lights on them. I emailed them & they tried some diagnostic things over email, but still wouldn’t work. They sent me a returns email & it was collected that morning & the new pair arrived the following morning. 

I’d happily buy from these companies again. 

6 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

Hipshot!

Yes. I had a problem with one of the gears on the factory installed Xtender on my Attitude Bass. It's a custom-built tuner made especially for this line of basses and not available to buy. Yamaha was no help in resolving the issue, so I contacted Hipshot.  They sent me the parts I needed to rebuild the tuner, all the way from the US to the UK for free.

Only problem I have with hipshot at the moment is scarcity and price. The specific ultralite tuners and xtender I want to buy for my G&L tribute seem to be out of stock in most UK vendors, and the price has skyrockets lately, like most things (I bought an xtender from Bass Direct last year for £80 - a similar tuner is now around half as much again depending on the colour.  I wonder if it would be easier and cheaper to buy them direct from the US.

Edited by Greg Edwards69