Why become a member? ×

Female Bass Players

SamIAm

36 minutes ago, Owen said:

M'eshell is as good as it gets on bass. 

Ironically, when I was doing lessons the girls were always better than the boys. My top 5 pupils would all have been girls. 

Note my lack of surprise!

S'manth xx

1 hour ago, Owen said:

M'eshell is as good as it gets on bass. 

Ironically, when I was doing lessons the girls were always better than the boys. My top 5 pupils would all have been girls. 

Just for ABSOLUTE clarity, the irony was that women are outnumbered by men in bass-dom but all my best pupils were women. Nothing else. Shout out to Allison, Rhiannon, Sara, Anita and Katie, in no particular order. 

• Like 1

In my musical neck of the woods (6-music kind of stuff), there are plenty of female bass players. Often as part of all-female or line-ups split male/female.

As with male players there are a few stand-out players, but most (like male bass players) are simply doing the right job for the band.

As an example I'll give the last gig I went to - Los Bitchos. The bass player (Josefine Jonsson) was not only great, but was nice and audible in the mix.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, msb said:

Gender has absolutely nothing to do with musical ability. 

… simple

Not talking about musical ability, I would agree with you on that.

But let us consider some evidence.

Big South West Bash Bash - One female bassist (me)

Demographics on BC

Research (Check google scholar)

Sex and Gender are not the same, but often women are smaller and less physically strong and basses tend to be large and heavy.

And there are cultural differences to account for

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Male_privilege

And the timeless

S'manth x

Edited by Smanth
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Smanth said:

I don't wish to be confrontational but let us consider some evidence...

Is it the same for violinists, or harpists..? They, too, are musicians. Should singers be considered musicians, too..? If only bass has a male bias that would surprise me. Personally, I think that it's just a matter of individuals (male or female...) wanting to play the instrument they play (or singers, to sing...). I'm just Occam's Razor simple, though. :friends:

• Like 2

Someone's already probably said it, but Basschat probably isn't a particular representative cross section of the bass playing community.

Most of us on here are men on the wrong side of 45, The lack of women players who use the site is possibly down to the blokey atmosphere as much as anything else.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Is it the same for violinists, or harpists..? They, too, are musicians. Should singers be considered musicians, too..? If only bass has a male bias that would surprise me. Personally, I think that it's just a matter of individuals (male or female...) wanting to play the instrument they play (or singers, to sing...). I'm just Occam's Razor simple, though. :friends:

My personal view is that basses (Electric ones at least) tend to be large and heavy and are harder generally (Oh shoot me down here) for us gals to hold, fret, carry.  I used to be 5"9', since playing the bass I'm now 4"11' (A lie, but hopefully an amusing one!)

Exceptions to everything, but statistically are there not more male than female basis players here on BC and in the world of music?

And be careful with Occam's Razor, it has a sharp edge lol

S'manth xx

• Like 3