Why become a member? ×

When should legends retire?

Mickeyboro

On 22/09/2022 at 11:01, tegs07 said:

Robert Smith is still managing to headline festivals and play incredibly good (and lengthy) live shows even whilst looking like an overweight dinner lady after a drug fuelled weekend. I don’t think appearance matters if they can still cut it live.

Of course not, it was a personal observation. I don't claim they can't play, I simply mean that for me it looks like some fat blokes doing covers. 

The Stones - just an overpriced Stones tribute act now. Nothing new since Exile on Main Street. Just the same old same old. Good luck to them, but I won't be indulging

McCarney - I'm biased, I never liked him. Fakey McFakerson IMO. But he's done nothing worth hearing for decades either

The oldies I still want to hear? Springsteen (not the same as the 80's, but the changes are good and the flame still burns), Robert Plant (seems to get better and better. Thank you Alison Krauss for reining in the extremes of his style), Kate Bush (a Goddess, now and always) and Tom Jones

• Like 1

On 25/09/2022 at 15:21, lowdown said:

After his recent open letter to Ukraine's first lady, Olena Zelenska. Roger Waters should retire to a local Dog & Duck with some backing tracks.

:D

What is this Dog & Duck. Is it a  franchise?

Blue

Edited by Bluewine

39 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

What is this Dog & Duck. Is it a  franchise?...

, No, it's just a generic term for 'the average pub'. You might sometimes see 'The Tickled Trout' used in the same way. There are real pubs with these names, but that's just a coincidence. :friends:

e4DecS1.jpg

O2aG2Pv.jpg

hILLVkk.jpg

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Bluewine said:

What is this Dog & Duck. Is it a  franchise?

Blue

How long have you been kicking around Blighty without coming across a ''Farm Animal & Traditional Tool Item''?

There was a chain of ''Animal & Firkin'' pubs that used to sell some pretty good ales. A firkin is a ye olde size of beer barrel. Never heard them mentioned on here. I hope they didn't go bust.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Downunderwonder said:

How long have you been kicking around Blighty without coming across a ''Farm Animal & Traditional Tool Item''?

There was a chain of ''Animal & Firkin'' pubs that used to sell some pretty good ales. A firkin is a ye olde size of beer barrel. Never heard them mentioned on here. I hope they didn't go bust.

Blue is our a North American correspondent…😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, mikel said:

They should retire when their playing is no longer "Legendary". Otherwise they are diluting the legend. 

I think a lot of people are happy to see their idols safe in the knowledge that they're not as good as they used to be. It's not all about the quality of the performance and has a lot to do with letting them know that they are still cherished and appreciated for what they have given us. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Most of the bands I liked in my youth didn't have any "legendary" playing in them even at the height of their popularity.

For my youth I guess this would depend on the definition of “legendary.” Are JJ Burnel, Jah Wobble, Simon Gallop, Peter Hook or  Sir Horace Gentlemen considered legendary?

5 minutes ago, greavesbass said:

I dislike old Punk type bands. Punk was about being young, boyish, skinny, and image was everything as well of the bril music of course.....Id prob go see the Pistols cause they are a cultural experience but the rest, nope. 

Punk is/was all about challenging convention and having a do it yourself attitude rather than it being about a  boyish and skinny image.

Age has nothing to do with it, just happened to be that the punk movement was full of young skinny people in the 70s when it emerged. 

Edited by Bassybert