Why become a member? ×

When you've agreed to help a band out on bass... and you can see the railway crash looming!

warwickhunt

1 hour ago, warwickhunt said:

The opening track... it misses off me singing the first few words to give the 'in' for vocals.  

As the man said, a good fist made out of a pigs ear. Well done. Replace Delusional you got a band, simples 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

hmmm... OK it's not a genre I normally sing (I'm a classical guy) but I have a lot of experience as a singer and I've had a lot of singing lessons. Basically, the guy does not know how to sing - end of story. 

Well done for getting him through it. Trouble is he'll probably think he can wing it next time as well.

An orchestra I used to play in did a 90s/00s dance music gig - I'll put a more detailed post in my thread - but long story short: the 'name' artist didn't have a clue about how to sing with an orchestra. He was obviously used to being carried by the gig band. You cannot do that with 60 piece symphony orchestra. He didn't even know where to come in with his own songs...  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Singerists, eh?

We have a bit of fake drama where I pretend to argue with our singer, then - very carefully- throw my bass at him and tell him to be my guest if he thinks he can do better.  I then belt out House of the Rising Sun to much cheering, adulation , and knicker throwing, while he covers the bass duties.

If a gnarled old rock hound like me can do it then anyone can. It's pretty easy really. As a rule singerists are really nothing special, but most think they are, and truly exceptional ones are a rarity.

• Like 2

Singing well is hard and a proper talent (although it can be learnt if you can hold a tune) and I’ve had the privilege to work with some really top notch vocalists, one of whom will have graced your TV screens at various big events. Average singers are ten a penny, however, whilst bad singers are even more prevalent. I’ve observed that their talent is normally in inverse proportion to how good they think they are.

• Like 1

If AP is the vocalist then find another and continue as The Automatic Voles. Good name and good band. Well done. 👍

Singing isn't easy, and those who find it so and can't understand the rest of us should please try to appreciate that. I can hold a tune for about two bars, after that I am in the same league as the chap above! Like skiing, or spin bowling, or playing an instrument, you can learn and get better, but for most folks it isn't effortless.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Singing well is hard and a proper talent (although it can be learnt if you can hold a tune) and I’ve had the privilege to work with some really top notch vocalists, one of whom will have graced your TV screens at various big events. Average singers are ten a penny, however, whilst bad singers are even more prevalent. I’ve observed that their talent is normally in inverse proportion to how good they think they are.

Agree with you. I think I'm a competent choral singer, but I never do solo as I don't think I'm good enough. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Run that by me again John? 

I may have lied!  ;)

10 minutes ago, Richard R said:

If AP is the vocalist then find another and continue as The Automatic Voles. Good name and good band. Well done. 👍

Singing isn't easy, and those who find it so and can't understand the rest of us should please try to appreciate that. I can hold a tune for about two bars, after that I am in the same league as the chap above! Like skiing, or spin bowling, or playing an instrument, you can learn and get better, but for most folks it isn't effortless.

Don't get me wrong I have the utmost for ANY musician but when you put yourself out there as a vocalist and you elicit the help from a collective of total strangers... you've got to be able to do your bit!  The fact is, the guy came to the rehearsal (late) where we had learned (to a good standard) the 8 songs that he had suggested.  He breezes in and we have to immediately dismiss 3 of those 8 songs because he can't get any part of them (Love of my life - Queen with just 1 guitar accompaniment being one of them).  I think on the day he just about got through but with a lesser band or a less receptive audience he'd have been mauled!  

On discussion after the gig with the other guys, we all agreed he'd had smoke blown up his derriere by friends and family and had begun to believe his own hype/persona.  Hopefully he'll learn from this and go on to sort out his vocals and more importantly his organisational skills BUT the fact he walked off stage declaring that was faultless and his family flocked to him to declare he was the Messiah (we all know what he really was... ;) ) made us all think he'll likely not amount to a great deal... though I could have egg on my face if he does.  LOL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zbd1960 said:

Basically, the guy does not know how to sing - end of story. 

That's what i heard, too.  Below average for sure, and flat sounding. Looks like he's more into his hair than learning to sing.

Rest of the band were good though

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

That can't be true, I believe I am terrible, that would make me quite good!

That may well be true! You may in fact be a talented, self-aware and humble musician, ever striving for betterment, yet conscious of the musical heights you are yet to scale.

Just now, bass_dinger said:

That may well be true! You may in fact be a talented, self-aware and humble musician, ever striving for betterment, yet conscious of the musical heights you are yet to scale.

I'm thinking possibly no. I do a couple of songs live, they go down ok, but mostly because they are popular songs, so not yet ready to believe the hype!

• Like 1

... when you put yourself out there as a vocalist and you elicit the help from a collective of total strangers... you've got to be able to do your bit! 

Oh agreed - he wasn't anywhere near good enough and I wasn't trying to make excuses for him! 

• Like 1

On discussion after the gig with the other guys, we all agreed he'd had smoke blown up his derriere by friends and family and had begun to believe his own hype/persona.  Hopefully he'll learn from this and go on to sort out his vocals and more importantly his organisational skills BUT the fact he walked off stage declaring that was faultless and his family flocked to him to declare he was the Messiah (we all know what he really was... ;) ) made us all think he'll likely not amount to a great deal... though I could have egg on my face if he does.  LOL

Send him a link to this thread. That should keep him grounded 😂

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Send him a link to this thread. That should keep him grounded 😂

Oddly enough I don't want to crush the guy... I should for wasting our time but in fact I had hoped he'd pick up on the pitfalls and shortcomings.  Even my dressing down (for want of a better term) of him at the rehearsal was intended to give him a wake up call.  :/ 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

That can't be true, I believe I am terrible, that would make me quite good!

1 hour ago, bass_dinger said:

There you go.

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

I'm thinking possibly no. I do a couple of songs live, they go down ok, but mostly because they are popular songs, so not yet ready to believe the hype!

You already sing a couple of songs that others continue to allow you to; can’t be all that bad.

Providing a song is in the baritone range and needs a voice akin to Byrne/Bowie/Ferry/Sylvian, etc, I’ll give it a go. Playing and singing at the same time needs lots of homework for me; singing and playing China Girl took me ages to get ‘right’*.

*passable.

re. continuing the band with a different vocalist.  

I really only did this 'one off' gig as I like a challenge now and again + to get my face known/seen at the local festival circuit (start small).  The other guys in the band were genuinely good and easy to work with but I really don't need another as I play in...

A) rock covers trio with the guy who was Richie Blackmoor's drummer for about 6 years

B) Cheap Trick tribute band

C) duo with my wife

D) unlpugged/acoustic group (variously either 3 or 4 of us)

All of the above mentioned bands/groups have players in of at least the minimum standard of the best in this scratch band (no disrespect to them).

They would make the core of a good new band... any bassists in the NE want to hook up with them (sans the vocalist)?  ;)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, warwickhunt said:

There was more than 1 adult and 2 children present btw!  LOL  

I have no idea what’s going on, I skipped forward a bit and he seemed to be hiding behind the guitarist on the left making obscene hand gestures. 😳

• Haha 3

45 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

I have no idea what’s going on, I skipped forward a bit and he seemed to be hiding behind the guitarist on the left making obscene hand gestures. 😳

Maybe those lewd gestures were why the mum and her children left!

In fact, I suspect that @LukeFRC is willfully misrepresenting the vocalist's interpretive dance - I believe that he is playing Air Guitar.  

Either that, or dealing with a nasty itch in his scrotal region....

7 hours ago, bass_dinger said:

In fact, I suspect that @LukeFRC is willfully misrepresenting the vocalist's interpretive dance - I believe that he is playing Air Guitar.  

That could be it - he’s doing basic home air guitar - he’s not practiced the stage air guitar - anther one for Mr @warwickhunt when he’s setting homework next time!

• Haha 4