Why become a member? ×

The Lightweight Cabs Thread

lukeward2004

I'm very very interested in these flite cabs. Apart from the website where can I find more about em? Google isn't helping much. The 112b looks good is there a tweeter? Do they have a similar tonal nature to a barefaced midget would you say? (ie loud through mid bite, or sounding 'angry')
My midget t is great but if there's even lighter out there my interest is piqued!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all... I've flirted with lightweight cabs for the usual reasons of wanting an easier time of load ins/out etc...

Two Berg AE112's were great for weight but didn't really wow me in the sound dept... good but a little too 'Hi-Fi' for my tastes...
Now I'm using Aguilar GS112's... Suit me much better!... definite keepers!

I've always liked the SWR Goliath 2 x 10 cab... & would like to try the [b]Golight[/b] version someday...
Did a quick search here to see if anyone has talked about them but can't find anything...

So What are they like? ...Same sound - different weight?

Anyone got any?

[i](I do feel like I've asked this before, somewhere!...!?!... I maybe senile already!?) [/i]

Edited by bottomfeed

[quote name='bottomfeed' post='1007660' date='Oct 31 2010, 06:34 PM']Hi all... I've flirted with lightweight cabs for the usual reasons of wanting an easier time of load ins/out etc...

Two Berg AE112's were great for weight but didn't really wow me in the sound dept... good but a little too 'Hi-Fi' for my tastes...
Now I'm using Aguilar GS112's... Suit me much better!... definite keepers!

I've always liked the SWR Goliath 2 x 10 cab... & would like to try the [b]Golight[/b] version someday...
Did a quick search here to see if anyone has talked about them but can't find anything...

So What are they like? ...Same sound - different weight?

Anyone got any?

[i](I do feel like I've asked this before, somewhere!...!?!... I maybe senile already!?) [/i][/quote]

I have a few SWR cabs... ceramics, and the very best was the Goli ll (4x10)
The G lll jnr was pretty good but I tried it with Eminence delta Neo and was never convinced it was as good.
I think Ag are making better cabs so use GS112's now and am very happy with them.

I may well get some DB112's to see if they voice for me as well..but really don't want to loose the bottom end of the GS's.

Would also try the AE112 but again, do not want to loose the big sound underneath that I have now.

With new strings the GS112's work really well..less so when the strings go off a tad. Best option may well be to stick with what I know and keep on top of the string issue...easier and cheaper alround but come the new year, I might swap/trade or buy or run both cab configs for a while.

Edited by JTUK

Now listen folks..

What's the cheapest and the lightest combo out there? (head and cab must have an option of being separated if needed)

I want something really portable. (head + lil' cab, something around 1x10)

I really dig the Ibanez Promethean thing, but, 600 pounds for new.. Or am I just too naive maybe? :)

easy
Faith

[quote name='Faithless' post='1015644' date='Nov 7 2010, 08:10 PM']Now listen folks..

What's the cheapest and the lightest combo out there? (head and cab must have an option of being separated if needed)

I really dig the Ibanez Promethean thing, but, 600 pounds for new.. Or am I just too naive maybe? :)

easy
Faith[/quote]

£600 new is hard to beat. You could maybe pair an Ashdown Little Giant 350 with a suitable cab, but they don't have the most solid reputation as far as I'm aware.

[quote name='JTUK' post='1009570' date='Nov 2 2010, 01:18 PM']I may well get some DB112's to see if they voice for me as well..but really don't want to loose the bottom end of the GS's.[/quote]

I have done an A/B between DB and GS cabs and you will not lose any bottom end if you go to DB... far from it!

[quote name='Faithless' post='1015644' date='Nov 7 2010, 08:10 PM']What's the cheapest and the lightest combo out there? (head and cab must have an option of being separated if needed)

I really dig the Ibanez Promethean thing, but, 600 pounds for new.. Or am I just too naive maybe? :)[/quote]

I think it's a case of choosing any 2 from 3 with 'lightest/cheapest/best sounding' If you want lightest + cheapest you aren't necessarily going to get the best sound available; you could however get lightest + best sounding but it won't be cheap!

There is a Tecamp combo for sale on BC @ £600 which will give you a 500w 2x12 Neo that is easily transportable 'with a car' (no good for long distance public transport), I'd think that as far as light/loud/good goes, it's about the best on BC at the moment.

[quote name='gafbass02' post='996769' date='Oct 22 2010, 09:11 AM']I'm very very interested in these flite cabs. Apart from the website where can I find more about em? Google isn't helping much. The 112b looks good is there a tweeter? Do they have a similar tonal nature to a barefaced midget would you say? (ie loud through mid bite, or sounding 'angry')
My midget t is great but if there's even lighter out there my interest is piqued![/quote]

I haven't tried any barefaced cabs, so I'm not able to help you there, but I feel mine is similar to the Compact - I don't like any of the single 12" driver cabs that I've tried and I don't know anything about loud through mid bite, or sounding 'angry' - bass just means bass to me, deep and smooth.

There isn't much information available on Flite cabs, there are a few users on talkbass and I ended up phoning the company in the US.
I spoke to the owner and got the feeling it's a small firm with not a lot of knowledge on cabinet design or driver specs, other than how to make very light and strong cabs.
This put me off a bit, but I decided to take a chance and buy one anyway when I saw a used one here on BC.
I had been considering a barefaced compact, but couldn't afford it at the time, while my back was sick of carting my heavy TE rig.
The cab arrived and it's weight was a true revelation, lighter than a compact but also smaller and I wondered how it would sound.
It was ok soundwise, a bit middly for my taste and lacking in real depth, (I play a lot of reggae) but not bad and certainly comparable to the other 15s I had tried, including Bergantino, Markbass, Ashdown and TE - it was certainly much better tone and volume wise than any of the single 12s I had tried by Aguilar, Markbass and Bergantino.

I swapped the driver for an Eminence 3015LF, which is a neo woofer and - boom there was 'my' sound, I haven't stopped grinning since.
It's very deep, smooth and loud enough for most gigs, but probably lacking in top end for people who like that kind of thing.

I've since bought another identical cab, with the intention of swapping the driver again, but I decided to keep the original Eminence delta because it works well with the other cab, offering some mid punch whilst increasing the volume of clean deep bass.
I bought the 2nd cab off ebay from a very nice BCer called rainbass and he sold another at the same time, which had a 6" driver and a tweeter along with the 15.
I didn't buy that because I'm not into tweeters or treble of any kind and it sold for about £113 from memory, which was a steal.
rainbass imported both cabs and I'm sure he wouldn't mind you PMing him for information - I believe Flite will customise their cabs to suit requirements.

I waited a year to find my 2nd cab and I considered ordering one from the US, I would have ordered without the driver to reduce weight and fit my own.
It's a shame there is no UK dealer and that the exchange rate is so poor, but it might be worth ordering the 112b and then fitting the driver from your midget - that's the only way you can really compare the sound and I don't know what the result would be or whether there would be a significant improvement in weight.

I am very happy with my 2 x 15s and the slight compromise in tone compared to bigger, heavier cabs is well worthwhile for the sake of the saving in weight and size.

Hope this helps.
Steve.

Well, 600 pounds may not be a problem anymore, as I'm selling one of my basses, and getting some money in days..

And I have just spotted those Genz Benz combos - Shuttle 3.0 head with either 8 or 10" inch speaker cabinets, weighing 6/8kg accordingly.. that is crazy!!

Shame is that I didn't manage to buy a used one off here with 10" speaker, so I either will be waiting for another one, or maybe buying the 8" version new..

Anyone after selling your GB combo? :)

And, 2x12 ain't the option as I'm looking for a very portable, 1x8/10/12 combo with removable head, that could be easily carried in hand for fair distances..

Edited by Faithless

My aching back and a change to a rehearsal room upstairs with no lift, has forced me to reluctantly look at lightweight cabs.
I wasn't using monsters anyway, just a pair of Eden D210 XLTs, which I considered pretty modest, but they weigh in at 68lbs each, which is too much up a twisty staircase, with no room for two people. I'll continue to use them for gigs though, mainly because they both fit in my convertible car, and changing cars wastes more money than changing cabs, and they sound pretty good to me even on a big stage.
Just for rehearsal I was thinking of going really small, like a 1x12. MarkBass seem to make the lightest 1x12, but I'm surprised to see no real support for them here, even though they were early into the mini-rig scene.
What's wrong with MarkBass?

Can't say what is wrong with Markbass cabs..guess they aren't convincing at the price and most of my experience of them has been in the 2x10 combo and the speakers in that and the config make that an excellent piece of kit, IMV.

For rehearsal and most gigs, I would use Aguilar 1x12 paired either DB or GS series.. ( 40lbs each approx ) one in each hand is balanced lift or if you feel old, easy one at a time.
For lighter, people say the Berg AE112, ( 30lbs-ish ) again paired and all the cabs mentioned would cover a 500w amp twinned/paired and be all that you'd need 95/100% of the time, maybe..!!!

That would be my thinking anyway..
Epifani do a light 12..not to my taste, though, but my mate swears by them

[quote name='malcolm.mcintyre' post='1027646' date='Nov 18 2010, 09:40 AM']....My aching back and a change to a rehearsal room upstairs with no lift, has forced me to reluctantly look at lightweight cabs....[/quote]
Hi. If you're changing reluctantly don't worry, the world of light weight cabs has some excellent products.

Which amp are you using?

There’s Markbass, Bergantino, Genz, EBS and if you’re after light, powerful and a great tone I'd also suggest you have a look at Barefacedbass cabs. The Compact is an amazing 1x15 which only weighs 26lbs.

[quote name='malcolm.mcintyre' post='1027646' date='Nov 18 2010, 09:40 AM']What's wrong with MarkBass?[/quote]

Nothing, they use decent drivers and were among the first manufacturers to use good quality lightweight poplar ply. But not everyone likes their signature sound which is quite modern and up-front - I do, I think they're great! The price is a bit of a sticking point though...

[quote name='Bass Culture' post='1028651' date='Nov 18 2010, 11:04 PM']I've not had my head turned by any cabs since I've had my Barefaced Super Twelve - fabulous cab.[/quote]

+1 and me with ma Midget. A dozen or so gigs now and a beautiful warm punchy sound. :) And I get offered lifts in other people's cars. Unprecedented. Yaay!

[quote name='malcolm.mcintyre' date='Nov 18 2010, 09:40 AM' post='1027646']

There's nothing wrong with Mark Bass cabs.
Like you I was getting fed up with lugging heavy gear around: I have an EBS HD350 amp with EBS 1x15" and 4x10" cabs. The 4x10" on it's own is 40kgs/88lbs! yes I use a folding sack truck, but it's not always possible and I still have to lift the thing onto the 1x15"!

I went to Bass Direct with a rather sceptical mindset about amps the size of a box of chocolates and little cabs producing real bass. I also had a real dislike of the yellow/black Mark Bass colour scheme.

Over a few hours I auditioned a number of amps from Mark Bass/EA/Genz Benz, and cabs including Bergantino 1x12"s, and settled on a Little Mark Tube 800 and a pair of the new Club 121s. The rig sounded great in as close to gig volumes as I could realistically duplicate, so I took the plunge.

Well my back is thanking me for it! With my amp/lead/tuner in a "man bag" and a cab (less than 13kgs or 30lbs) in each hand I'm unloaded in one trip.

The sound is great too, it more than holds it's own in my 5 piece covers band, reproducing the low B without protest, and sounds equally good with my electric upright in a jazz/swing outfit. I've also had a number of comments from other bassplayers on how clear my sound cuts through really clearly further back in the audience.

In short I'd try the latest generation of small and/or lighweight gear. Certainly in my opinion the good stuff: Mark Bass/Bergantino/EA/Genz Benz actually lives up to the hype, it's just a question of auditioning to get the gear that has the sound you want. I went for the Mark Bass cabs, but the Bergantinos were a very close second, that was down to personal choice, I don't feel either are better than the other they just have different tonal characteristics.

• 1 month later...

I'm still loving my Laney NX115. Setup the gear this morning for tonight's gig and it never ceases to amaze me how good it sounds.

I'd even say that the combination of 700RB II, Goth Thunderbird with flats and EMG HZ / Wilkinson soapbars and this cab is without a doubt the best sound I have ever had

Yesterday I finally (after 2 week wait) got my Genz Benz Shuttle 310 combo..

I was also looking into Markbass, Ibanez Promethean combos, but Genz Benz won the race by far with its stupidly small weight (8kg when paired with amphead - MB and Ibanez were about 12kgs!).

This combo is so small and portable that its just crazy.. Shuttle head fits perfectly into my iGig bag, and it feels like it weighs nothing ! :)

Oh, and not mention that it combo thing is Loud and its sound is crisp and clean..

I'll give some more feedback when I'll get the chance to gig it.

Anyway, it is a must to get if you're after a small lightweight and loud combo..

[quote name='halfmanhalfdrum' post='1030546' date='Nov 20 2010, 05:58 PM']Why bother spending so much cash on a rig just for rehearsal? I use an old British made Trace Elliot Boxer 65, plenty loud enough, lightweight, good range of tones and it only cost me £50. I'd probably gig with it if it had a line out![/quote]

How about buying a DI box, mate? :)

• 1 month later...

Thought I`d chip in on lightweight cabs:

Just bought myself an Eden Nemesis N410RS cab.

£389 inc delivery from The Bass Merchant.

600 watts, 8 ohms, 104 db sensitivity, Freq. Response 48hz - 18khz
24.75w x 24.75h x 16.25d
52 lbs
Comes with castors, and adjustable tweeter

Not used it at a practice yet, but first impressions are it`s a very good cab. the handles are on the top of the cab, at each side, not standing above the top surface though, so making lifting even easier. Sturdily built. Carpet-covering.

Soundwise, it has a sound not too dis-similar to my Ampeg cabs that I had. The tweeter is very smooth, not at all harsh, but it definately changes the character from old-school to more modern. In comparison to my Ampegs, at home practice, with the same settings the Nemesis is much louder. I do prefer the sound of the Ampegs, but it has got to the point where I can`t carry them about any more, and this Nemesis cab is 90% there, so overall a good purchase. Will put this in the review section as well.

Edited by Lozz196

• 1 month later...

Agreed, I've had a Nemesis 410 for nearly 9 years, never had a problem, sounds warm & great, does all I need of it, easy to roll or lug, fits in the boot/hatch, and made by Eden. I A/B'ed it with a "real" Eden 410 before buying & my opinion at the time was, "half the weight, half the price, sounds twice as good": that hasn't changed after about 500 gigs with it. Best value for money 410 IMHO, although the recent GK Ultralight range would have to be considered.

• 3 weeks later...