Why become a member? ×

The Lightweight Cabs Thread

lukeward2004

[quote name='DepTan' timestamp='1317902128' post='1395937']
where can i get a barefaced cabs in London?
[/quote]
Unless it's a secondhand sale... you can't as they don't sell though independent retail outlets. You need to contact Alex at [url="http://barefacedbass.com/contact-us.htm"]Barefaced[/url]. Once he knows what type of music, styles etc you play, then he'll be able to advise you as to which cab (if any) might suit.

They do a scheme whereby if you buy a cab, and within one month decide it's not for you, you get your money back minus a fee for return shipping, £15 or £25 depending on cab size.

[quote name='burno70' timestamp='1317828598' post='1395094']
I;ve recently bought a Barefaced Super12T.

Its such an easy carry its beyond belief! I live in a 3rd floor flat with no lift and taking the stairs with this cab was a piece of cake. Its not that its light for a cab - like my previous Markbass 151HR. Its just light full stop! Whilst I wouldn't describe it a 1 handed lift (I think you'd need to be pretty tall and strong for that - due to the shape) it is an easy carry. Not sure what the trolley wheels are on there for but they are quite fun and novel for the time being (yes I'm sad like that!)[/quote]

Still loving my S12T and have been known to sling the Mono twin case on my back, GigSkinz amp bag & leads case in one hand and S12T by the side handle in the other hand and walk the lot from the car park into a gig....well it saves a trip, and has never come close to pulling an arm from a socket yet :)

I have heard the vanderkley 112's and they are fantastic cabs.

Another to consider is the new to the market EAD Foundation 212. Info in the affiliates forum. This is great 212 with tweeter and mid plus a custom point to point crossover. The build quality and attention to detail is staggering and unlike anything i've owned before. Definitely worth checking out

• 4 weeks later...

I recently purchased a Barefaced Midget.

I utterly love it. Before playing through the Midget, I never knew the importance of a good cab. I thought that one's amp was all that mattered as far as tone shaping was concerned - Alas! How wrong I was! Yes, there is nice lows. A lot of cabs give nice lows - BUT! this thing has lovely highs and mids. It's given my bass a whole new sound. I'm totally loving it!

And as for the weight. Well, going from a 30kg Ashdown Mag 210 to this wee one handed 9kg just makes SENSE! Go buy one. Now.

And yes, it's loud enough. As Alex says, his Midget is as loud as the 210 and will handle all my TC Electronic RH450 would care to throw at it. Amazing!

[quote name='AndyBob09' timestamp='1320349905' post='1425785']
I recently purchased a Barefaced Midget.

I utterly love it. Before playing through the Midget, I never knew the importance of a good cab. I thought that one's amp was all that mattered as far as tone shaping was concerned - Alas! How wrong I was! Yes, there is nice lows. A lot of cabs give nice lows - BUT! this thing has lovely highs and mids. It's given my bass a whole new sound. I'm totally loving it!

And as for the weight. Well, going from a 30kg Ashdown Mag 210 to this wee one handed 9kg just makes SENSE! Go buy one. Now.

And yes, it's loud enough. As Alex says, his Midget is as loud as the 210 and will handle all my TC Electronic RH450 would care to throw at it. Amazing!
[/quote]

The midget my next purchase.. unless I can trade my SP210.. I've heard it with terror (which I have) and It was awesome.. I like the sp210, but the midget is the sound for me

• 4 weeks later...

I'm blown away by my Vanderkley 112 MNT. Sounds great on a gig, really clear from top to bottom. Also had very positive comments from fellow band mates.
Way better than my Bergantino AE112. Best cab I've owned in 20 years & I've had a lot of different cabs.
Nice recessed handles and back panel. Very solid construction.
Now I need to decide whether to add another 112 or 210 ?

I may post a vid review on youtube if I can find a good mic.

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]Can you describe the differences between your old AE112 and the Vanderkley cab? What makes one better and the other not so good? Thanks.[/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]

SAD ([url="http://www.sad-audio.de/"]http://www.sad-audio.de/[/url]) 1/12H Bassbaby custom:
350W/8Ohm, 14,5kg, non neodym Fostex, plus Horn, 425GBP plus shipping:

sounds great. fast, loud, low and defined even with a 5-string and transistor amp. I don't need more to have fun.

Edited by the_krysh

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1323528632' post='1464234']
[font="Arial"]Can you describe the differences between your old AE112 and the Vanderkley cab? What makes one better and the other not so good? Thanks.[/font]
[/quote]
The Berg sounded amazing at home, like a studio monitor. By no means a bad cab, 2nd place over all the others I've owned.
The Berg just didn't cut through live and had a lot of crazy low end, partly due to the rear port ? So I discovered that I'm not keen on rear ported cabs.
Another minor point would be the top mounted handle. A bit cheap.

The Vanderkley sounds like there's a slight mid boost at home but this works great live. I'm guessing the slight mid bump helps to cut through.
The cab definitely moves more air & I love the front port. It just sounds clear from top to bottom. Reminds me of an Epifani UL112 but less pillowy. I recon two cabs would be killer.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='flippyfloop' timestamp='1323549871' post='1464554']
The Berg sounded amazing at home, like a studio monitor. By no means a bad cab, 2nd place over all the others I've owned.
The Berg just didn't cut through live and had a lot of crazy low end, partly due to the rear port ? So I discovered that I'm not keen on rear ported cabs.
Another minor point would be the top mounted handle. A bit cheap.

The Vanderkley sounds like there's a slight mid boost at home but this works great live. I'm guessing the slight mid bump helps to cut through.
The cab definitely moves more air & I love the front port. It just sounds clear from top to bottom. Reminds me of an Epifani UL112 but less pillowy. I recon two cabs would be killer.
[/quote]

Rear ported cabs can t be put in everywhere on stage , some time you don t have any choice but put where there s space . that s why I don t like them also . i like front ported , well tuned cabs with a flat frequency curve .

[quote name='sprocket123' timestamp='1329661171' post='1545427']
Rear ported cabs can t be put in everywhere on stage , some time you don t have any choice but put where there s space . that s why I don t like them also . i like front ported , well tuned cabs with a flat frequency curve .
[/quote]
I was under the impression that scientifically it makes no difference if a cab is front or rear ported with regard to placement; a ported cab acts like a ported cab no matter where the port is. Sound doesn't come out of the ports so front or back is immaterial... a cab should be correctly tuned no matter where the port is!

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1329667357' post='1545539']
I was under the impression that scientifically it makes no difference if a cab is front or rear ported with regard to placement; a ported cab acts like a ported cab no matter where the port is. Sound doesn't come out of the ports so front or back is immaterial... a cab should be correctly tuned no matter where the port is!
[/quote]
Don't quote me on this, but I think air comes from the port below the Fs. Although it doesn't generally matter where the port is, you shouldn't place the port too close to a wall.

Edited by Musky

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1329667357' post='1545539']
[/quote]

Hey buddy , do you happen to have a rear-ported cab on hand , if so , I was thinking like that also , so nothing s personal here , try playing true it ,then move the cab @ lots of places in the place,you ll haer the difference it makes sonically .

That s why I want my cabs front ported , have a nice one out there .

[quote name='sprocket123' timestamp='1329673907' post='1545676']
Hey buddy , do you happen to have a rear-ported cab on hand , if so , I was thinking like that also , so nothing s personal here , try playing true it ,then move the cab @ lots of places in the place,you ll haer the difference it makes sonically .

That s why I want my cabs front ported , have a nice one out there .
[/quote]

No you are absolutely correct moving a cab closer to a wall for boundary reinforcement (or better still a corner) WILL make an audible difference but it won't matter if the cab is front or rear ported. Moving it 'too' close to the wall or corner can be detrimental but again it makes no difference if it is front or rear... and believe me, following on from a thread re. porting, I tried this. :D

Just gave my new(ish) Barefaced Compact it's first run out in my hands last night in rehearsal with a Pink Floyd band I play in. What kind of sorcery is used in these little monsters? Have I sold my soul to the devil?
Punchy, loud, mega lightweight and just so there in the mix! I was using my status S2 fiver and my Yammy fiver fretless through an Mxr Di80 into a power amp and it totally kicked my old 15 into touch. The BCer who I bought it off had only used it at home so it's virtually brand new and didn't feel particularly run in as these are supposed to be but by the end of the night it was cooking. I may look at a MidgetT in the future for a bit more top but to be honest it's just great as it is. What really impressed was that it was as clear as standing 2 foot away as it was 20 foot away! Got two gigs this weekend and I can't wait! Loved the look on my bandmates faces when I picked it up one handed over my head and then gave it to them to lift, keys wondered if it had polystyrene speakers in it!

Edited by barneyg42

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1329674210' post='1545684']
No you are absolutely correct moving a cab closer to a wall for boundary reinforcement (or better still a corner) WILL make an audible difference but it won't matter if the cab is front or rear ported. Moving it 'too' close to the wall or corner can be detrimental but again it makes no difference if it is front or rear... and believe me, following on from a thread re. porting, I tried this. :D
[/quote]

If a rear port is close enough to a wall to affect air flow from the port, then it will mess up the tuning. Placed right up against a wall it will effectively behave like a leaky sealed box. A couple of port widths away from the wall is a good rule of thumb.

Does a Schroeder 20112L fit into lightweight cab thread?

For me, yes. 2x10, 1x12 (angled), and a tweeter, all in a box weighing 48 lbs.

Very loud cab, 104 db, 35hz - 18khz, 1000 watt handling at 4ohms.

At low volumes the cab doesn`t sound very good at all, very middy and scratchy, but have it going at band volume, and it is a great cab. The presence is better than any other cab I`ve had, and it really does seem to be all-encompassing, no matter where you stand in a room/venue, the bass sounds the same.

Fully recommend Schroeder to anyone wanting a light, but very powerful cab.

[color=#222222]Just got me new Genz Benz neox 2x12. First impressions: holy crap what a detailed and articulate sound. It's a lot more sensitive than I was expecting as well, I figured being rated at 600w it'd require a fair bit of grunt to move air, but I was very wrong. It makes the power amp I bought seem completely overkill. Like driving a tank to the corner shop. [/color]

I've been busily re-tweaking all my effects and tone settings as the new cab has revealed a lot of details I wasn't so fond of. I guess it's incredibly difficult to say what a "coloured" sound is or what a "clear" or "uncoloured" sound might be without having an incredibly extensive experience of hearing the same bass and amplifier though many many different cabs, but certainly the Genz sounds more "high definition" to me than anything else I've used. I'll be interested to try playing an iPod or a CD or something though it to see how it sounds with a full range sound source.

[color=#222222]The tweeter in this cab is wonderful too, that has to be said. I'm not usually a tweeter kinda guy, I was planning to just keep it turned off but it's actually really well balanced with the woofers and not at all harsh or fizzy sounding like some tweeters i've heard. The attenuation knob on the back of the cab is more like a very subtle presence control, gently shaving down the very top end sparkle rather than dialing harshness in or leaving you sounding muddy and vague without it. Lovely stuff.[/color]

[color=#222222]The only thing I dislike so far is that it could do with some handles on the sides. Straps would do - the thing is so light they wouldn't need to be strong. The handles on the top are great, really well made and handy for rolling the cab on it's wheels, but if you want to walk up a flight of stairs with it it's kind of awkward because the handles force you to hold it upright, but the cab is tall enough that it would be easy to bash the bottom of it against a stair or two unless you have your hands right up by your chin, which is fairly uncomfortable. If the handles were half way down each side of the cab, the bottom of the cab would be nowhere near the stairs and you could keep your hands about waist height which is a lot more comfy. I'm kind of nit-picking here though I guess.[/color]

aaaaaaand that's enough rambling from me.

[quote name='electric nate' timestamp='1330001272' post='1551099']
[color=#222222]Just got me new Genz Benz neox 2x12. First impressions: holy crap what a detailed and articulate sound. It's a lot more sensitive than I was expecting as well, I figured being rated at 600w it'd require a fair bit of grunt to move air, but I was very wrong. It makes the power amp I bought seem completely overkill. Like driving a tank to the corner shop. [/color]

I've been busily re-tweaking all my effects and tone settings as the new cab has revealed a lot of details I wasn't so fond of. I guess it's incredibly difficult to say what a "coloured" sound is or what a "clear" or "uncoloured" sound might be without having an incredibly extensive experience of hearing the same bass and amplifier though many many different cabs, but certainly the Genz sounds more "high definition" to me than anything else I've used. I'll be interested to try playing an iPod or a CD or something though it to see how it sounds with a full range sound source.

[color=#222222]The tweeter in this cab is wonderful too, that has to be said. I'm not usually a tweeter kinda guy, I was planning to just keep it turned off but it's actually really well balanced with the woofers and not at all harsh or fizzy sounding like some tweeters i've heard. The attenuation knob on the back of the cab is more like a very subtle presence control, gently shaving down the very top end sparkle rather than dialing harshness in or leaving you sounding muddy and vague without it. Lovely stuff.[/color]

[color=#222222]The only thing I dislike so far is that it could do with some handles on the sides. Straps would do - the thing is so light they wouldn't need to be strong. The handles on the top are great, really well made and handy for rolling the cab on it's wheels, but if you want to walk up a flight of stairs with it it's kind of awkward because the handles force you to hold it upright, but the cab is tall enough that it would be easy to bash the bottom of it against a stair or two unless you have your hands right up by your chin, which is fairly uncomfortable. If the handles were half way down each side of the cab, the bottom of the cab would be nowhere near the stairs and you could keep your hands about waist height which is a lot more comfy. I'm kind of nit-picking here though I guess.[/color]

aaaaaaand that's enough rambling from me.
[/quote]

Hey Electric nat , you happen to have Avalon & QSC,which ones do you have buddy .