Why become a member? ×

The Lightweight Cabs Thread

lukeward2004

Got my Barefaced S12T (2 x 12 + tweeter) a couple of weeks ago.. Gigging it next Sunday, but I'm so impressed using it at home and at practices... At 40 odd pounds it's light, and it sound nicer (and as loud) than a single EBS proline 410 - more bass, more open and a faster sound.... Not as "warm" (indistinct?) as the EBS, but that's not an issue for me..

Edited by markstuk

• 3 weeks later...

I am about to buy a lightweight cab.

I played the Vanderkley 112EXT at Bass Direct with a Shuttle 6 and a Markbass F1 and was impressed. However there is not much in this forum about Vanderkley. You guys do talk about Barefaced and Alex has been V helpful suggesting a Midget T and adding a Compact later. My problem is I cannot easily audition the Vanderkley with the Midget T. Can anyone tell me what I would hear if I did??

And what about amps? I liked The Shuttle and the F1. The new Streamliners look good and Barefaced say that 900 is better than 600 (Duh!)

----
I have played guitar since I was 16, got on OK, but not great. Switched to bass 3 years ago and love it. Play in three bands: A pop group (Robbie, Sting, Springsteen, Sinatra, Marc Cohn...); A blues band (Clapton, Stones etc.) and a worship band in a big echoing Church (DI the bass and use the rig as a monitor). We usually play to ~100 people in a poky pub or in Church. I occasionally play outdoors. I play a 2009 US J Bass, but want a rig that will work with a more modern active bass in time. My current amp is an Ashdown ABM EVO 300 C210 combo. I like: Punchy top end and good EQ. I Dislike: the weight and the muddy bottom end particularly in undamped rooms. I am 50 in July and my dear friends want to buy me a new rig (they're fed up of carrying the Ashdown!) I love messing around with tone from classic Herbie Flowers to more modern Mark King.
----

[quote name='bassriff' post='1238208' date='May 20 2011, 02:22 PM']I love messing around with tone from classic Herbie Flowers to more modern Mark King.
----[/quote]

Hear good things about Vanderkley, friend is very impressed so far with his single 12 and will add another for dispersion rather than volume as he says the cab does not lack that at all.

But to have a cab that covers that range of sound ( KIng, Flowers)...you are going to have to have a horn, IMO.. and dial it down on the bass for the tone changes you seek..IMO.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't read all fifteen pages of this thread, but, for what it's worth, I've been using the Ampeg 2x10 ProNeo times two for a couple of months now, and couldn't be happier. At last Ampeg have used a metal grille front, and a textured coat cover. They are very light, and plenty powerful enough for me, stated to be 550 watts peak each. Don't quite understand why they decided to give them a monitor type wedge type cut out, but they do stack on top of each other fine. Also an Ampeg amp is about half an inch wider than the cabinets - work that one out!
Lovely cabinets which have replaced my two 4x10 Ampegs, and saved my back.
Graham

• 3 weeks later...

A rather interesting thread. I've been using a Barefaced Compact for over a year now, and have just added a Midget. Lovely and tuneful, I can hear all the notes, very light (12kg and 9kg) and plenty loud without any stress. I've been driving it mostly with a UK MAG600, and also lately with a Micro VR. Just picked up an Ampeg PF500 from Andertons - £299 new with free P&P as part of their 'refit sale', minus a few quid in loyalty points I had with them. Just couldn't resist.

The Barefaced stuff really does what is says on the tin. I'm a convert.

Cheers

Geoff

[quote name='RandomBass' post='1278894' date='Jun 22 2011, 06:57 PM']A rather interesting thread. I've been using a Barefaced Compact for over a year now, and have just added a Midget. Lovely and tuneful, I can hear all the notes, very light (12kg and 9kg) and plenty loud without any stress. I've been driving it mostly with a UK MAG600, and also lately with a Micro VR. Just picked up an Ampeg PF500 from Andertons - £299 new with free P&P as part of their 'refit sale', minus a few quid in loyalty points I had with them. Just couldn't resist.

The Barefaced stuff really does what is says on the tin. I'm a convert.

Cheers

Geoff[/quote]

Do you use the Midget on its own or do you usually add the Compact?

[quote name='bassriff' post='1279064' date='Jun 22 2011, 09:20 PM']Do you use the Midget on its own or do you usually add the Compact?[/quote]

So far I've only used the two together - mind you I've only had the Midget a couple of weeks, so it's early days. I will easily be able to manage with just the Midget for practice, and either of the cabs for smaller gigs. However we've got an open air charity gig coming up in a couple of weeks and I'm looking forward to trying the pair in that setting. It's not too big to need PA support (its in a pub beer garden, in a marquee type thing).

Cheers

Geoff

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Was using light weight Markbass 4 x 10 and 2 x 10 for the last 5 years, and although lightweight, I still found the 4 x 10 difficult to lift, though have been very happy with the sound. Recently I changed to Aguilar. The TH500 amp weighing a mere 4lb and pumping out 500 watts of superb sound coupled with 2 SL112 cabinets. The cabs weigh a mere 25lb and handle 250 watts each. Last weekend I had the chance to really see what they could do. I was amazed at their sound quality running the amp at about 10 oclock on the master vol and competing well with 2 guitarists and drums. I can't recommend them highly enough. If you are looking for seriously super light weight cabs that really do handle the lows, mids, and hi's, check out the SL112. I guess the only drawback for some is: as a stack they, together with the tiny amp do look rather diminutive, but people will be amazed at the sound emanating from such a small set up........ cool eh! And at a push you could trave to a gig by bus...... well perhaps not.

ATB, Paul.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='bassriff' timestamp='1305899989' post='1238260']<!--quoteo(post=1238230:date=May 20 2011, 02:38 PM:name=Musicman20)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Musicman20 @ May 20 2011, 02:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&amp;pid=1238230"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Keep hearing about Vanderkley..are they more expensive than Berg cabs?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

About the same - Bass Direct stocks both[/quote]

I am also interested in the Vanderkley 300w cab. Has anyone bought and gigged one yet?

[quote name='DepTan' timestamp='1317101245' post='1386622']
Markbass newyork 122! :-)

where can i get a good markbass shop in London?
[/quote]

yeah i've been eyeing up the Newyork line, the 112 is tempting, perhaps track one down in the flesh as it were

has anyone tried the hartke hydrive 112 yet? the 4/8ohm switching really appeals to me but i can't find a decent review of it anywhere - just wondering how it compares to the likes of schroeder, barefaced, etc - obviously there are gonna be some differences but i can't find anywhere to do a decent a/b test.

apologies if this has already been covered elsewhere...

I;ve recently bought a Barefaced Super12T. Gonna take it to its first full band rehearsal tonight and can't wait. I was sad enough to take it to the studio the other night to try it solo as I was just dying to blast it.

Its such an easy carry its beyond belief! I live in a 3rd floor flat with no lift and taking the stairs with this cab was a piece of cake. Its not that its light for a cab - like my previous Markbass 151HR. Its just light full stop! Whilst I wouldn't describe it a 1 handed lift (I think you'd need to be pretty tall and strong for that - due to the shape) it is an easy carry. Not sure what the trolley wheels are on there for but they are quite fun and novel for the time being (yes I'm sad like that!)

Considering the lightness of it the quality is very reassuring and I have no doubts regarding its durability.

Can't comment too much on the sound quality as it really is early doors and will have a better idea of how it sits in the mix after tonights jam but my first impressions are that it is very even and detailed across the whole range including the dusty end and its very loud. The tweeter is very sensitive, although not shrill or nasally and much better than the ones used on my previous Markbass cabs.

I'll write a bit more after I've had more experience with them - roll on 7 o'clock!