Why become a member? ×

The Lightweight Cabs Thread

lukeward2004

[quote name='bassvid75' timestamp='1333029783' post='1596434']
[sub][size=4][size=5]does the Accugroove tri210L considered as a light cab?[/size][/size][/sub]
[sub][size=4][size=5]to me its lightest tri speaker on the market 25kg[/size][/size][/sub]
[/quote]
Yep, I'd call that lightweight

• 2 weeks later...

I use a EA Micro 550 amp with 2 x Hartke Hydrive HX112 cabs, this little cabs weigh in at about 28lbs each have swichable horns and are switchable between 4 and 8ohms, everybody that hears them sayes the sound warm,tight and controlled! I play a fretless 5 string and a EUB through these, I mount the cabs on a Audiolex acoustic platform, one of the cabs has a SWR type flip stand underneath to enable it to be tilted back, these cabs are worth trying out!!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='sprocket123' timestamp='1330105590' post='1552932']
Hey Electric nat , you happen to have Avalon & QSC,which ones do you have buddy .
[/quote]
I'm currently using the Avalon U5 into a QSC RMX2450. It's monstrous. Total overkill, but that's what I like. Very few eq options, lots of headroom, simple but high quality. The thing is, with the Genz Benz cab being light enough to lift one-handed, and the QSC obviously containing some kind of dark matter my rack box is now about twice the weight of my cab. I do like the fact that I can lift the cab above my head he-man style though, that turns a few heads now and then :happy:

I'd actually forgotten what oldschool bass cabs were like until I helped my boss' band lift a trace eliott 6x10 over a 5 foot wall. It was a 4 man job!

Edited by electric nate

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='electric nate' timestamp='1335446140' post='1631277']
I'm currently using the Avalon U5 into a QSC RMX2450. It's monstrous. Total overkill, but that's what I like. Very few eq options, lots of headroom, simple but high quality. The thing is, with the Genz Benz cab being light enough to lift one-handed, and the QSC obviously containing some kind of dark matter my rack box is now about twice the weight of my cab. I do like the fact that I can lift the cab above my head he-man style though, that turns a few heads now and then :happy:

I'd actually forgotten what oldschool bass cabs were like until I helped my boss' band lift a trace eliott 6x10 over a 5 foot wall. It was a 4 man job!
[/quote]

Well , that rig must kick some but ...lol

Still loving my Markbass 4x10! Perfect sound, and anyone who says lightweight gear can't sound big needs to hear this thing in action! As far as lightweight cabs go, it's barely little in comparison to some of the examples on this thread! But if a wiry frame like mine can lift it over their head Hulk style, it's good enough for me! (Plus the look on people's faces never gets old ;))

• 2 weeks later...

I,m thinking of getting a Markbass Micromark for a good quality practice amp that I can also run through my MB 121H at gigs to add more top end clarity at gigs as I do have a problem hearing the top end when standing right next to it.Even when using the Wedge .Good Idea or Bad ? cheers.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure. It wouldn't be the way I'd go as I'd have two cabs for a punchy band gig.
I always think you are asking a lot tonally out of one speaker anyway.

To get more top out of a bass..the bass has to give it and the cab has to be able to produce it at the volumes you need...
Some cabs are better than others and I am not convinced 12's do this that well.
Sure, they can relate to the frequencies but can they get them across and through the mix..?
A horn would help to a degree as would getting the amp/cab up at ear level but that is a fudge in itself...as all that does is serve you ..which might be the main point..
but I work from the premise that if the sound is fug to you from the floor position, it isn't going to suddenly 'fix' itself out front...so if you play parts that need top end
to be heard..you need everyone to hear it.

This is why I always have the cabs on the ground and I use it as a monitor to hear/mix and also to know what the crowd out front hear as I am the only one 'monitorin/mixing' it.
It you have FOH, then presumably you have an engr or otherwise the point is..??? ...and it is not so much your issue, that is his job.

From your standpoint.... I would concentrate on clean signal as far up the chain as poss..and then it gets a tad easier to help that through your set-up.

• 2 weeks later...

[size=5][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Genz Benz Streamliner 900 - Barefaced Midget [/font][/size]

After speaking to a friend who had tried all sorts of expensive lightweight options and who settled for (and raved about) a Genz Benz Streamliner 900 and a Barefaced Midget T and a Compact I thought I would avoid all the expensive trying out and I went for the above. I love it - the lightweightedness and the clearasciousness and the loudocity. Well good.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='JeSuisSkeleton' timestamp='1341324716' post='1717031']
....Has anyone any experience of this Eden cab? I'm thinking of buying one to go with a Little Mark 250 I just bought....
[/quote]

There's an Aguilar GS112 in the FS section which I would rate as better than the Eden. Then get a second GS cab and you have one of the best mini rigs.

Markbass amps seem to go very well with Aguilar cabs.

[i]Newbie here; [/i]
[i]Read the threads up till now and only a few mentions of TC cabs. [/i]
[i]Whilst the RS2x10 is not a true lightweight, with the TC Classic 450 it forms a compact if not featherweight packge.[/i]

[i]I've got the head and am currently running through an Ashdown 2x10 from the old rig and am going to take my time looking at Genz Benz, Aguilar and Barefaced and so on, if I can, but the starting point should really be the matching cab, I feel I will try some TCs out in the next coupla weeks, but t[/i][i]'would be useful to hear any opinions on tc cabs, particularly the 2x10?[/i]

Has anyone tried swapping drivers for a Neo?

I see that an Eminence Neo 10" 150W is only £79 so I am considering putting one in my EA iAmp 350 combo (The combo sounds great but weighs in at 59 lbs...maybe we need another thread for heavy kit!)

I love the sound of the combo (for double bass) so I don't want to mess it up but I do have to warn others not to try and lift it as it can do serious damage. I haven't weighed the driver thats in it but its one of those with a tweeter screwed into the back so it must be pretty heavy

Out of curiosity I tried a 12" basslite in my Roland BC100. I'm afraid it just didn't sound good at all & I replaced the original. I suspect with small enclosures matching both enclosure & driver is more critical than with larger cab's.

[quote name='grandad' timestamp='1341960043' post='1727229']
Out of curiosity I tried a 12" basslite in my Roland BC100. I'm afraid it just didn't sound good at all & I replaced the original. I suspect with small enclosures matching both enclosure & driver is more critical than with larger cab's.
[/quote]

I think there are a few issues... depending on the cab type (sealed / ported) and the speaker design (for fullrange or LF... or mid).
AFAIK there is only a few constants... bracing, damping and tuning (esp. for ported enclosures).
If the cab is quite small you can only get so much low end per watt for a given cone... untill you run out of excursion.

I don't know if the larger enclosures are much easier to tune ... I know they can be trickier to dampen and brace (esp. with many drivers). I'd say given most pro's design or adapt a cab to the driver... or adapt the driver to the cab (or both), you can expect mixed results when experimenting with various drivers.

I've gotta check some of this stuff out! [url="http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/"]http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/[/url] ;)

Edited by PlungerModerno

I swapped out ceramics for NEO'S and the result was weak. The volume was pretty much there but the cab didn't work....... And it might be argued that I didn't prepare the cab for the new chassis' but others who did it said it worked very well.
I couldnt agree less..... And subsequent NEO cabs I've used have the same sort of feeling.... Close but not the cigar for me..
How do I explain that....? I can't. Maybe I don't like the 'sound' of NEO... ???

Personally I find neo's crisp & clean, sort of hi-fi-ish, ferrites less so & warmer, which I like. The comparison here is between my Ampeg B115E & my Roland D-Bass 115.

Another consideration I believe is that neo's, having a smaller thermal mass, are likely to be less tolerant to overheating.

The one thing we all seem to appreciate though is the weight advantage.

Are the Schroeder cabs available in the UK?

I'm loving my PL212.
12" Drivers are the best of all worlds IMO, and the Punchline series uses Eye-talian made BNC drivers which sound superb.
http://www.schroedercabinets.com/

Light as a feather (38 lbs); mine's in Rhino WHITE, which is eye-catching as well as ear-splitting! :D

• 2 months later...

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1341332899' post='1717235']
Markbass amps seem to go very well with Aguilar cabs.
[/quote]

This combination works well for me :) I'd like to try neo's again at some point but the EBS 212 I had before was a bit to lively sounding for me.

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1329667357' post='1545539']
I was under the impression that scientifically it makes no difference if a cab is front or rear ported with regard to placement; a ported cab acts like a ported cab no matter where the port is. Sound doesn't come out of the ports so front or back is immaterial... a cab should be correctly tuned no matter where the port is!
[/quote]

Well very low-frequency sound does come out of the port, at and near the tuning frequency, but in general I agree with you. I also think there can be small but audible differences in how the cab interacts with the room at low frequencies based on where the low frequency sources (woofer cones and ports) are relative to the room boundaries, but if anything I think a rear-ported cab might have a slight advantage in this area. You see, if the woofer cone and port each have a different path length to the reflective wall behind the cab, they will each interact with the room's modes a bit differently, which tends to reduce the magnitude of reflection-induced peaks and dips.

Also, if the ports are right behind the woofer cone, you get some midrange energy radiating out the ports. In my opinion this can be a good thing - for example, if your drummer is behind the cab, this can make it a little bit easier for him to tell what notes you're playing.

Front-ported cabs can have more apparent impact if you are standing very close to the cab. This is because, at very close range, the path length around the cab to the rear port is significantly longer than the path length to the woofer cones, and because sound pressure level theoretically falls off by 6 dB for each doubling of distance, the sound from the front of the cone is louder at close range than the sound from the rear-firing port. But by the time you get out into the audience area, the difference is negligible.

More important than where the port is located, though, is how well the system is designed. Port location can play a minor role in the design, but in general other things make more of a difference.

Edited by DukeL