Why become a member? ×

The Lightweight Cabs Thread

lukeward2004

Told Shaun (4000) about your Zoots. He has back problems and even the Aguilar 1x12's he had are too much for his back (I just bought them off him) but also they didn't suit his Rick's, and as weight is a major factor for him the Zoots are the firs thing that came to mind....He lives Blackpool way so it isnt that far from you..

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='BassBunny' post='338301' date='Nov 27 2008, 12:23 PM']I've got 2 Zoot 112's. Not the Neo ones. I notice you are North West based and I am in South Manchester. If you fancy trying them, more than welcome.[/quote]

Thanks for the offer (and cheers Dave P!). However I don't drive so I'm not quite sure how I go about getting to you with amp [i]and[/i] bass.

Re Dave's comments, the Aggies were actually fine weight-wise, but lighter wouldn't be a bad thing at all. Anything over 50lbs starts giving my lower back problems, although the orientation of the cab is a factor too. He's right though, I didn't get on with the tone of the Aggies.

Edited by 4000

• 1 month later...

Just out of interest, how would an Epifani UL310 compare to a Schroeder 1210L or 1212L? Also, Alex, how would one of your cabs compare (not whether better/worse, just how would it differ)? What about an EBS 1x15 neo (my Sei sounded blinding through the EBS 1x15 in the Gallery, although my CS didn't sound so good)? Under 50lbs is absolutely essential and these are all on my likely shortlist.

[quote name='4000' post='390144' date='Jan 24 2009, 12:52 AM']Just out of interest, how would an Epifani UL310 compare to a Schroeder 1210L or 1212L? Also, Alex, how would one of your cabs compare (not whether better/worse, just how would it differ)? What about an EBS 1x15 neo (my Sei sounded blinding through the EBS 1x15 in the Gallery, although my CS didn't sound so good)? Under 50lbs is absolutely essential and these are all on my likely shortlist.[/quote]

From everything I know I'd consider the 1210/1212L and the UL310 pretty far removed. The latter is known for fat bottom, subdued mids, smooth highs. The former are known for big low midrange, little deep bottom but quite a lof of midbass oomph, rather coloured sound, damned loud. The Compact is loud and punchy but no big humps or dips in response - probably sounds about as loud as the UL310 despite being a higher impedance load, not as loud as the Schroeders. If you have a decent amp it'll certainly play as loud as any of those cabs. Tonally it's about halfway between the two companies, the Schroeders being all about midrange punch and grrrr, the Epifani being about smooth sweet fatness, whilst The Compact is pretty even, you can EQ it either way. Obviously no tweeter so no shiny highs but still bright enough for many players.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='391592' date='Jan 26 2009, 12:00 PM']From everything I know I'd consider the 1210/1212L and the UL310 pretty far removed. The latter is known for fat bottom, subdued mids, smooth highs. The former are known for big low midrange, little deep bottom but quite a lof of midbass oomph, rather coloured sound, damned loud. The Compact is loud and punchy but no big humps or dips in response - probably sounds about as loud as the UL310 despite being a higher impedance load, not as loud as the Schroeders. If you have a decent amp it'll certainly play as loud as any of those cabs. Tonally it's about halfway between the two companies, the Schroeders being all about midrange punch and grrrr, the Epifani being about smooth sweet fatness, whilst The Compact is pretty even, you can EQ it either way. Obviously no tweeter so no shiny highs but still bright enough for many players.

Alex[/quote]

Thanks Alex; very informative. Sounds like the Schroeders or the Compact out of those then. ;) Having said that, I'll hopefully try some more gear in the Gallery at the end of the week which will give me a better idea. As many may have gathered I'm not really big on tweeters anyway, I usually turn them off. In terms of bottom, I was using a friend's Ashdown Klystron (original series) 1x15 combo tonight and had the bass at 9 o'clock; any more I found too boomy, so that probably says a lot about me and bottom too! Strange, as I normally like a big bottom....

[quote name='4000' post='392165' date='Jan 26 2009, 09:31 PM']In terms of bottom, I was using a friend's Ashdown Klystron (original series) 1x15 combo tonight and had the bass at 9 o'clock; any more I found too boomy, so that probably says a lot about me and bottom too![/quote]

Boominess is not found in the true lows but resides in the mid-high bass region around 150Hz. The reason that most bass players think that adding too much bottom makes the sound boomy is not because there is too much bottom happening (i.e. too much in the sub 100Hz region) but because when you ask any speaker to provide more bottom you increase its excursion. As most bass cabs don't have much clean cone excursion ability you quickly run into the region of higher distortion. When you distort a sound you effectively synthesise additional harmonic content, so if you distort a 55Hz note you'll get a whole load of extra 110Hz and 165Hz and 220Hz etc output. So by cranking up the bass knob you end up adding more midbass than anything, and that's why things start getting boomy.

Now if you were using a rig with much greater Vd (volume displacement, which equals cone area x undistorted cone excursion) then you'd be able to boost the lows more and get more bottom without it turning into boom. And that has been one of my main focuses with my cab designs - even if they're not naturally big bassy soundings beasts they have sufficient Vd to accept LF boost at high SPL so if you want big bottom you can get it without boom.

Now you know!

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='393505' date='Jan 28 2009, 10:44 AM']Boominess is not found in the true lows but resides in the mid-high bass region around 150Hz. The reason that most bass players think that adding too much bottom makes the sound boomy is not because there is too much bottom happening (i.e. too much in the sub 100Hz region) but because when you ask any speaker to provide more bottom you increase its excursion. As most bass cabs don't have much clean cone excursion ability you quickly run into the region of higher distortion. When you distort a sound you effectively synthesise additional harmonic content, so if you distort a 55Hz note you'll get a whole load of extra 110Hz and 165Hz and 220Hz etc output. So by cranking up the bass knob you end up adding more midbass than anything, and that's why things start getting boomy.

Now if you were using a rig with much greater Vd (volume displacement, which equals cone area x undistorted cone excursion) then you'd be able to boost the lows more and get more bottom without it turning into boom. And that has been one of my main focuses with my cab designs - even if they're not naturally big bassy soundings beasts they have sufficient Vd to accept LF boost at high SPL so if you want big bottom you can get it without boom.

Now you know!

Alex[/quote]

You know, I wish someone had sat me down 20 years ago and explained all this stuff...

So if I'm looking to get more depth to my sound (more below the 80hz region) I would be better with a larger diameter cone than 10" to produce these clearer & to shake some serious low end? Something like 15", or is a 4x10 going to have better results?

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='notable9' post='95654' date='Nov 28 2007, 03:43 PM']Hi guys, noobie here.

I'm currently looking for a lightweight 2x12 cab. Im looking at the 1x12 Bergies, but that Epiphani looks great. Can you give us the address of The Gallery, I cant seem to find it anywhere.
Note[/quote]

Well, I am a newbie too to Basschat, but not to Bass!

Considered a couple UL110s but decided to home build.

Built myself a couple 1x10" cabs, no tweeters, to keep cost and simplicity down (can always add later) and I was suiably suprised by what I had achieved.

The cabs are MDF (not light ply), so do come in a bit heavier than the Epifanis and installed a single 10" Celelstion in each (Neo mags) rated at 200W each.

I wired them up with dual 6mm and Neutrik sockets to allow me to parallel them up.

Tried them with my Hartke 3500 and WOW!!!! Bought a GenzBenz Shuttle 3.0 and well what can I say.

WOW, WOW, WOW, WOW, WOW, WOW

and saved myself loadsa money in the process.

Will post some pics up when I get a chance.

Bassman Al

Edited by ajw01

• 2 weeks later...

This thread needs more pics.
Just updated my rig... here are the before and after pics. Got rid of the Jeff Berlin in favour of a 2nd 102HF and a seperate LM2. Use the ampeg in smaller rooms, it sounds better.

The markbass cabs are fantastic. Specially the 2 of em together. Lots of poke, light and versatile.

• 1 month later...

My vote goes to Schroder 1212L. This is an amazing cab 2 x 12 with one facing forward and one angled. I have plaayed bass for over 30 years and have never come across a better sounding cab than this and so light too. Throughly recommended and after sales service is superb.

[quote name='everogere' post='457780' date='Apr 8 2009, 08:20 PM']My vote goes to Schroder 1212L. This is an amazing cab 2 x 12 with one facing forward and one angled. I have plaayed bass for over 30 years and have never come across a better sounding cab than this and so light too. Throughly recommended and after sales service is superb.[/quote]

I'm currently using one of these in two bands - a hip-hop/house/funk band where it needs to be very versatile from tune to tune, and a ska covers band where it needs to produce lots of lows without getting boomy. It sounds good in both situations, easily keeps up with a drummer (I'm convinced it would do much more) and I can carry it in one hand. I was really surprised that it did so well in the ska band, and so were the other musicians! It doesn't look big enough for the levels it puts out.

It also reproduces the sound of my basses about as well as any other cab I've used (including the beloved woody purr of my Thumb bass), and it reacts well to EQ. It's just a really good cab.

[quote name='AREA' post='463022' date='Apr 15 2009, 02:27 PM']Basstown 212 Custom Light

2x12" + adjustable Horn
can handle 600W@4Ohm
32 - 18.000 Hz
100db @1W/1m
Onken Port
48 lbs.

[/quote]

Not heard of these before and I can't find much info on it. How good is it, how much do they cost, and where might I be able to get one from? :)

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='everogere' post='457780' date='Apr 8 2009, 08:20 PM']My vote goes to Schroder 1212L. This is an amazing cab 2 x 12 with one facing forward and one angled. I have plaayed bass for over 30 years and have never come across a better sounding cab than this and so light too. Throughly recommended and after sales service is superb.[/quote]

+1 Great cab. It really does the business in all departments.

• 3 weeks later...

hi guys and gals,i use a hartke vx4x10 and vx1x15.they're not high end cabs;but they sound great to my ears.i brought them for 3 reasons. 1)they fit in my car(just) 2)they're very light. 3)the decimal point on my bank statement is on the wrong side of the zeros.

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='463054' date='Apr 15 2009, 03:07 PM']Not heard of these before and I can't find much info on it. How good is it, how much do they cost, and where might I be able to get one from? :)[/quote]
The logo reminds me of the Amptown amps they used to make in Hamburg. According to the German bass chatters list, they are not very well known in Germany either.

Edited by stevie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Mr.T' post='324693' date='Nov 8 2008, 10:58 AM']Sounds like we are on the same mission!

I have gone from...

1 x 15 The big old one.
to
4 x 10 Even heavier.
to
1 x 15 (1153) & 2 x 10 + 5 (2103).

And now want to go 'lighter'.[/quote]
+1 I have the same trace 4x10 also have a 1x15 and 2x10 and also looking at the light thing after seeing a mark bass rig at the london trade show about a month ago,there was some guy on bass strings stand playing through 2 4x6 newyorkers it blew me away so punchy and believe me it went low(any body else go to it?)

Reading this thread, I'm struck by how different people define "light". A Hartke VX410 "very light"?

From a personal perspective, with the assistance of my ever-complaining back, I have drawn up a definition of weights of cabs.

Featherweight - under 15kg, eg. BFM Omni 10.5
Lightweight - under 25kg, eg. Peavey TVX 210, Tech Soundsystems ND410S
Middleweight - under 35kg, eg. Hartke VX410
[s]Fat fsckers[/s] Heavyweight - the rest

And (a bit like the Beaufort scale) what they mean in practical terms:

Featherweight - one-handed lift, carry it anywhere
Lightweight - two-handed lift (because our hands are precious), can carry it up stairs or a couple of hundred metres without resting
Middleweight - can get it out of the boot, and carry it a few metres before resting
Heavyweight - either get the rest of the band involved or reverse the car up to the side of the stage and leave it in the boot

Hi everybody, just joined the forum and hoping for some advice. I need to get a lightweight cab, 2 10,max 20 kg approx,and a suitable head.Our local shop are great, but being offshore they can't get a load of gear in just for me to try out and compare.
What's the general view on mixing or matching manufacturer for both items?
I want to play my fretted and fretless passive Jazz basses, and my 3/4 double with K&K pickup and Fishman preamp, and get a reasonable sound from all three, though I guess there'll be an element of compromise.
Any coments or advice please re cabs Markbass Traveller, SWR Golight Junior, Peavey Tour?......other ideas?
also re heads, LittleMark II (if still available?), Peavey Tour 450?(our shop deals quite a bit with Peavey and might get me a good deal on their gear, but the Tour 210 cab is on the outer reaches of my manageable weight)....other ideas?
Any info/advice would be much appreciated, thanks very much.

BassMann

[quote name='BassMann' post='539605' date='Jul 13 2009, 07:32 PM']Hi everybody, just joined the forum and hoping for some advice. I need to get a lightweight cab, 2 10,max 20 kg approx,and a suitable head.Our local shop are great, but being offshore they can't get a load of gear in just for me to try out and compare.
What's the general view on mixing or matching manufacturer for both items?
I want to play my fretted and fretless passive Jazz basses, and my 3/4 double with K&K pickup and Fishman preamp, and get a reasonable sound from all three, though I guess there'll be an element of compromise.
Any coments or advice please re cabs Markbass Traveller, SWR Golight Junior, Peavey Tour?......other ideas?
also re heads, LittleMark II (if still available?), Peavey Tour 450?(our shop deals quite a bit with Peavey and might get me a good deal on their gear, but the Tour 210 cab is on the outer reaches of my manageable weight)....other ideas?
Any info/advice would be much appreciated, thanks very much.

BassMann[/quote]

Bass head wise...I love the Little Mark 3....if you can pickup a 2 they are virtually the same. The 3 has some nice upgrades. Excellent bass amps.

2x10 wise....hmm....someone will help you on this. I know Mark Bass do a 2x10 Traveller which is very light...quite expensive though. Plently of other manufacturers around though :) Epifani, I think, do a 2x10.

Markbass also do a combo [url="http://www.markbass.it/products.php?lingua=en&cat=3&vedi=39"]http://www.markbass.it/products.php?lingua...t=3&vedi=39[/url]

I think the Combo has a Little Mark 2 Head in it.