Why become a member? ×

Yamaha or Fender…

AndyTravis

What do we pick?! A p/j conundrum   

44 members have voted

1. 1. Which one would you pick

• Fender Aerodyne
    • Yamaha Bb1600

So, I’m about to receive a bass I’ve been chasing for a while (Musicman Sabre Classic) 

And I have an abundance of posh P/J’s. And realistically, won’t see as much action as the other - I’m not skint, but not wealthy enough to have several £1000 basses hanging around unused “just in case”.

Yamaha 1986/Japan - warmth (acoustically) and that old resonance only 30 years or so can bring…

Fender 2014/Japan - snaps acoustically, slimmer neck…sounds phenomenal plugged in, silent.

Yamaha has 60 cycle hum on solo…but loves a bit of drive…

Both Japanese, both “rare”

BB1600 is worth more…

8A841478-D80F-42CD-8746-CB88C25BCC92.jpeg

Edited by AndyTravis

As you know I'd keep the Fender, but I like MIJ Fenders and I've never warmed to the Yamaha BB shape aesthetically. 

You've done a nice couple of mods to Aerodyne and it looks killer, amazing colour!

Perhaps a side by side recording would help ?   How they play and how they sound should be the deciding factor I guess.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PatrickJ said:

As you know I'd keep the Fender, but I like MIJ Fenders and I've never warmed to the Yamaha BB shape aesthetically. 

You've done a nice couple of mods to Aerodyne and it looks killer, amazing colour!

Perhaps a side by side recording would help ?   How they play and how they sound should be the deciding factor I guess.

Yeah. Need exact same brand and age strings on them…

3 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Yeah. Need exact same brand and age strings on them…

Got a new set sitting around?  String one up, record, move the strings to the other and repeat.   Needs to be a blind test though, so recordings labelled guitar 1 and guitar 2 so no visual bias influences votes.

8 minutes ago, PatrickJ said:

Got a new set sitting around?  String one up, record, move the strings to the other and repeat.   Needs to be a blind test though, so recordings labelled guitar 1 and guitar 2 so no visual bias influences votes.

Can do that. Will sort.

Mrs T is out tomorrow getting her first (and hopefully only) tattoo which means I’ve got loads of time.

• Thanks 1

I'm on the fence...

As a rule I'm not really a Fender fan but have heard good things about the Aerodyne, and I do like a PJ. Even though I own a BB615 I'm not really a big fan of the BB shape and will probably move it on at some point. 

If I was in your position and had to keep one/ sell the other.....I'd probably start a poll and ask everybody else....

Oh yeah...you did.

• Haha 3

Keep the Fender. That's mostly based on the fact my brain can't deal with a company that makes musical instruments, motor bikes, calculators, skis and computer chips. They can't be good at all of them. Surely.

My brain knows in reality they're good at making all of the above............but there's still something that doesn't sit right with me 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1