Why become a member? ×

Bass Bros

Supernaut

On 16/08/2022 at 13:18, Old Horse Murphy said:

I asked Will if I could try out the 2018 Classic Stingray they had in stock and after playing it I decided to make a purchase. It's absolutely spotless and weighs 9lbs 8oz (top of my weight range really) but is light for one of these. I've strung it with TI flats and it's brilliant. 

Foolishly, while I was waiting for Will to dig out the Classic I picked up a 1996 2EQ Ray that was sat on a stand and basically couldn't put it down again. It's got a few dings and minor chips (who hasn't?) but weighs in at just under 8 1/2lbs and just sounds amazing. 

Fortunately Will was agreeable to a p/x and I walked away with two Rays to join my Special that I've been gigging with recently. There's such a difference between the single and double H basses and the 2 vs. 3 eq that I felt I could justify it. Having recently moved a few basses on I didn't feel too guilty either. 

It's strange; I've been a passive bass fan for so long but now ffive of my seven basses are active and it works really well for me gigging-wise. 

C915752F-BCF1-4E98-9995-0022C1DFB28C.jpeg

B92B4C0A-E140-4985-83CA-47B1C65806C5.jpeg

30F3D08D-9E25-4A2E-B67F-B96EE1E96D11.jpeg

F93C9523-4285-43A4-9DCA-80EA00F76C4E.jpeg

Those look very nice @Old Horse Murphy - love the sparkle Special. I’ve been using my Classic (which weighs in at 9.75 lbs) with TI flats also but with the mutes engaged. It makes some very nice sounds like that and would recommend giving it a try. I’ve used it quite a lot lately and am loving the sound. 

Having seen this thread I had a look at the Bass Bros site and noticed they have a rather nice late 80s/early 90s 2 band Stingray in white - must resist……..have too many Rays already!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Will has got a really nice jazz elite in , I’ve already got one in ice blue and I don’t need any more basses, but it’s rather tempting 

edit, it’s sold already 

I was lusting over this, but on the fence. Only because I was after a white one with rosewood board and my repeated experience with GAS is as soon you buy something, the thing you were really after becomes available. Your comment pushed me over the edge, damn enablers! 

This will be my second purchase from Will, and he's sold three for me, all remotely and all of which have been positive experiences.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Happypants said:

I was lusting over this, but on the fence. Only because I was after a white one with rosewood board and my repeated experience with GAS is as soon you buy something, the thing you were really after becomes available. Your comment pushed me over the edge, damn enablers! 

This will be my second purchase from Will, and he's sold three for me, all remotely and all of which have been positive experiences.

Ah well done, as soon as it was listed I added it to my cart but I’m after an early precision so I didn’t go for it, they really are a fantastic jazz 

3 hours ago, drTStingray said:

Those look very nice @Old Horse Murphy - love the sparkle Special. I’ve been using my Classic (which weighs in at 9.75 lbs) with TI flats also but with the mutes engaged. It makes some very nice sounds like that and would recommend giving it a try. I’ve used it quite a lot lately and am loving the sound. 

Having seen this thread I had a look at the Bass Bros site and noticed they have a rather nice late 80s/early 90s 2 band Stingray in white - must resist……..have too many Rays already!! 

Thank you 😊  Stingrays (both 4 or 5 string) have always been my favourite basses in terms of looks, build quality and ergonomics but I definitely prefer 2eq  over 3eq for sounds. That said, the 3eq Specials are indeed, special, and after a few false starts with them I can dial in some really useable sounds to my taste. 

When I popped in to Bass Bros and asked Will if I could try out a few Rays I don't think I've ever seen so many examples available to try in one place. 

• Like 1

Think that font size is still in need of a tweak.

Screenshot_20220830-095600_Chrome.jpg.8789f1a7e0813d89ecd472d918882519.jpg

On a more serious note, I find that a lot of the listings leave me feeling that I'm too unknowledgeable to be shopping there, as if I'm supposed to know already which Stingrays have 1⅝" nuts; which MIJ Fenders have 7¼" radius; which years of American Standards have the thingy pickups etc.

And this sense that the action is mostly experienced players selling well known 4-figure basses puts me off wanting to sell my own cheaper, less eye-catching basses through Bassbros, despite having had an 11/10 experience with them when buying.

That sounds like a sulky note to end on, so instead let me finish by telling you that the setup on the MIJ P which sadly wasn't for me was really beautifully done. I hope whoever ended up with that 8 lb 0, deep-CAR PB62 is very happy with it :)

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

On a more serious note, I find that a lot of the listings leave me feeling that I'm too unknowledgeable to be shopping there, as if I'm supposed to know already which Stingrays have 1⅝" nuts; which MIJ Fenders have 7¼" radius; which years of American Standards have the thingy pickups etc.

And this sense that the action is mostly experienced players selling well known 4-figure basses puts me off wanting to sell my own cheaper, less eye-catching basses through Bassbros, despite having had an 11/10 experience with them when buying.

That sounds like a sulky note to end on, so instead let me finish by telling you that the setup on the MIJ P which sadly wasn't for me was really beautifully done. I hope whoever ended up with that 8 lb 0, deep-CAR PB62 is very happy with it :)

What are you looking at there, exactly? I can't make any page refer like that.

Are you suggesting they list the nut widths and neck radii etc. of everything they have in stock? Just curious.

2 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Are you suggesting they list the nut widths and neck radii etc. of everything they have in stock? Just curious.

Given your usual tone in discussions like this, you'll understand why I'm going to decline the invitation of getting into this conversation.

Just now, Ricky Rioli said:

Given your usual tone in discussions like this, you'll understand why I'm going to decline the invitation of getting into this conversation.

Eh? Why are you scared of questions? Just trying to help re: the first one, and was genuinely curious re: the second.

Can I pitch in here if we're talking about website layout/design?  Who thought it was a good idea to make you click on a link to expand the manufacturer filter 10 at a time?  You miss and the pointer goes off the menu by a pixel then it disappears and you have to start again.  Sucks if you want to filter for Yamahas.  Just display the whole list, it's not THAT long.

10 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

@Ricky Rioli thanks for the screenshot, in the future send them to me directly and I can look into any issues. I’ll take a look into why that has come up like that. It’s not normally displayed like that on any of the browsers I’m using so I’ll investigate further!  

Not sure why you’re put off selling, we sell plenty of ‘cheaper’ basses and just because we have other more expensive ones that’s just variety. If you go through our basses page there’s plenty of variety. It’s definitely not just experienced bass players we cater for. We do try to keep a good range so there’s something for everyone.  

Thank you for the words about your previous good experience! Hope to speak again soon! :) 

• Like 7

12 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

What are you looking at there, exactly? I can't make any page refer like that.

Took me two seconds. Just shrink your browser width. I'd expect a website to assume a smaller screen, eg. a phone, and drop font sizer accordingly.

20 minutes ago, tauzero said:

I use Chrome, which isn't exactly a rare breed.

Deary me. I didn't say it was. I didn't say it wasn't a problem. I just said that I couldn't recreate it in my browser.

But as it happens, I can see that there's a problem between the breakpoint at 600px and c700px.

Like I say, I was just curious. No need for people to jump down my throat..!

12 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Deary me. I didn't say it was. I didn't say it wasn't a problem. I just said that I couldn't recreate it in my browser.

But as it happens, I can see that there's a problem between the breakpoint at 600px and c700px.

Like I say, I was just curious. No need for people to jump down my throat..!

Are you sure you're not getting a little paranoid? Sorry if I seemed a little abrupt.

• 1 month later...
On 22/02/2022 at 22:26, Allaboutthebass said:

Over the last couple of weeks I've been trying to buy a Bass from them, I've tried Email, Voicemail and WhatsApp, but unable to make contact with anyone, so I assumed they were not legit.

Yup, I've recently emailed them about a deal too - but there's been no response at all.