Why become a member? ×

Vegan strap?

9 minutes ago, Doddy said:

Wouldn't a better answer just be something like "Not to me", and leave it at that? 

I'm not vegetarian or anything, and I have a bunch of leather products (straps, gigbag, shoes, jacket) but who really cares if someone else choose to eat meat or own leather, or not?

Anyway, those Couch straps look nice. It's just a shame that their coolest straps aren't any wider.

Because that actually isn’t the case. I didn’t give up eating meat because I didn’t like the taste of it. Why do people always assume that? I gave up eating meat because I could no longer reconcile the taking of an animal’s life for my pleasure, given I didn’t need it to live. 

And the point is, everyone seems to care, as per my earlier post. 

• Like 5

I had no problem giving up cheese and always preferred the smell of bacon to the taste. Fish was the hardest one for me and I was pescatarian before veggie and then subsequently vegan. I'm not a huge fan of the substitutes but occasionally have a vegan cheese slice or a vegan burger. I was blown away by the vegan ham and cheese baguette that Greggs have just launched. I kept stopping to check it was vegan! 

• Like 2

Just now, Cat Burrito said:

I kept stopping to check it was vegan! 

One of the funny things on the vegan forums and facebook groups. People are constantly complaining that things don't taste quite right, but when they do, everyone is paranoid that it isn't really vegan!

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Cat Burrito said:

I had no problem giving up cheese and always preferred the smell of bacon to the taste. Fish was the hardest one for me and I was pescatarian before veggie and then subsequently vegan. I'm not a huge fan of the substitutes but occasionally have a vegan cheese slice or a vegan burger. I was blown away by the vegan ham and cheese baguette that Greggs have just launched. I kept stopping to check it was vegan! 

I’ve had to do that with various things over the years, when they taste rather more authentic than you expect. 

1 minute ago, Woodinblack said:

One of the funny things on the vegan forums and facebook groups. People are constantly complaining that things don't taste quite right, but when they do, everyone is paranoid that it isn't really vegan!

I think that there is a lot of truth in that. I guess people go into things for different reasons. My wife can't stand the vegan cheese slices I like (she's also vegan) and I think the substitutes can be great for people who just want a flexi diet or perhaps are new to it. But yeah, people do like a moan. We're human after all. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cat Burrito said:

I think that there is a lot of truth in that. I guess people go into things for different reasons. My wife can't stand the vegan cheese slices I like (she's also vegan) and I think the substitutes can be great for people who just want a flexi diet or perhaps are new to it. But yeah, people do like a moan. We're human after all. 

The thing is though, when you’re making an ethical choice, you don’t then want to find out that something has snuck past you, as in it turned out you’d eaten an actual ham & cheese sandwich! 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

For completeness on the thread, here is the Denali strap (it also has a plectrum holder at the top)

fantastic, love that. 
FWIW, the Mono Betty is apparently vegan too. Accidentally vegan, I guess as Mono don’t mention it. 

27 minutes ago, 4000 said:

The thing is though, when you’re making an ethical choice, you don’t then want to find out that something has snuck past you, as in it turned out you’d eaten an actual ham & cheese sandwich! 

Of course. I've had a recent incident where a friend asked me taste a homemade soup that was supposedly vegan. Once I had tasted it I asked how to make it and she included "whole milk" in the ingredients. I subsequently found out that at my wedding a few years ago she'd allowed my veggie friend to bite into some meat product. None of it is malicious, she's just really scatty! It serves as a reminder to always check. Personally I am a little more relaxed about dairy. I'd be quite upset about eating meat. Also an accidental spoonful sits better with me than a whole meal. 

2 minutes ago, Cat Burrito said:

Of course. I've had a recent incident where a friend asked me taste a homemade soup that was supposedly vegan. Once I had tasted it I asked how to make it and she included "whole milk" in the ingredients. I subsequently found out that at my wedding a few years ago she'd allowed my veggie friend to bite into some meat product. None of it is malicious, she's just really scatty! It serves as a reminder to always check. Personally I am a little more relaxed about dairy. I'd be quite upset about eating meat. Also an accidental spoonful sits better with me than a whole meal. 

I have to check all the time when other people are cooking. It must drive them nuts, but when they’re doing stuff like cooking spuds in goose fat, it has to be done. And the amount of “As a veggie you can still eat fish though, can’t you?” I have to deal with boggles the mind. 😂

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Doddy said:

... but who really cares if someone else choose to eat meat or own leather, or not?

I would tend to agree to a certain extent and am certainly not a preachy type (42 years veggie, latterly vegan).  But if it comes up in conversation I might just add 'but the animals don't have the choice to die or not'.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Tait said:

That said vegan doesn't necessarily mean better for the environment, and the synthetic leather used in many of the Right On straps is just as bad for the environment as leather - it isn't biodegradable, uses environmentally damaging chemicals, and has a high carbon footprint. The main advantage really is that cows aren't being killed for it.

Agreed, to the extent that I have no insight into what they're made of or how, which is why "better" is in "quotation marks". 

It's a tough act to be really truly environmentally and ethically improving, often one improvement is made at the expense of other things. When I worked for a retailer we were phasing out single use coffee cups, then someone claimed that washing a China cup used seven times more energy, or seven times more carbon, or something, than making a disposable cup... 

11 hours ago, Tait said:

The main advantage really is that cows aren't being killed for it.

Sometimes I feel like a delay...

I want to point out that cows are not killed because of the leather. Leather is waste from the meat industry. As long as people eat meat, there will be this material available. Quite a lot, actually.

Plastics (oil) or leather, not a simple question. It is very good that people discuss about these moral and environmental issues even here, at our exceptional BC.

Unlike many of the Vegans posting in this thread I am a meat eater who has been criticised by judgmental vegetarians for much of my life.  I became a Buddhist in 1987 and spent years in Buddhist communities, mainly in Asia; I was a Buddhist monk for 13 years too.

The Buddha wasn't a vegetarian and didn't insist the monks were but many Buddhists erroneously believe Buddhists should be vegetarian.

There is no justification for killing an animal to eat or make a bass strap out of but there is no such thing as food production that doesn't involve killing animals.  Every time you flood a paddy field or run a plough through a potato field thousands of insects and worms etc are killed.  It might be unintentional and killing worms may not have the same emotional impact as the death of a cow or pig but it is what it is.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BillyBass said:

Every time you flood a paddy field or run a plough through a potato field thousands of insects and worms etc are killed.  It might be unintentional and killing worms may not have the same emotional impact as the death of a cow or pig but it is what it is.  

Followers of Jainism certainly wouldn't disagree with you there.

I'm the guy who rescues a drowning fly from the water butt and goes back to check on it later 🙂

Edited by inthedoghouse
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Of course it is. Are you happy wearing the flayed skin of a dead animal around your neck, yes / no.

I was a vegetarian for nearly 30 years until I spent some time with a friend who runs a small holding. The care, time and expense of raising livestock is quite extraordinary. He largely feeds his family from what he produces and the veg only goes so far. Nothing is wasted, including the flayed dead skin as you call it. It was an interesting experience. I eat meat now, but try to eat small quantities from a reputable butcher wherever possible. I don’t like the idea of industrial production of meat but at the other end of the spectrum I am not sure what the future of many animals that have been traditionally farmed would be without a market for meat and it’s byproducts. At best as as prey for predators in the wild (have you ever seen what a domestic dog is capable of) and at worst many are so domesticated they would just die out as breeds that are no longer capable of survival without human intervention. There is also the issue of where they could live in the overcrowded world with declining natural habitats.

Edited by tegs07
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, tegs07 said:

I was a vegetarian for nearly 30 years until I spent some time with a friend who runs a small holding. The care, time and expense of raising livestock is quite extraordinary. He largely feeds his family from what he produces and the veg only goes so far. Nothing is wasted, including the flayed dead skin as you call it.

Not sure of your point - as I said, I am not a vegetarian, so I have nothing to defend here. My statement isn't whether something is ethical or good or environmentally friendly or not - especially the latter. If we cared about the environment we would be getting rid of people and maybe using their skin, that would be better.

It is purely down to how the person who is buying something feels about it, whether they are happy with it or not.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tegs07 said:

at the other end of the spectrum I am not sure what the future of many animals that have been traditionally farmed would be without a market for meat and it’s byproducts. At best as as prey for predators in the wild (have you ever seen what a domestic dog is capable of) and at worst many are so domesticated they would just die out as breeds that are no longer capable of survival without human intervention.

That always seemed like a non argument to me. The same as zoos (which I was always against). "We have to keep eating these animals as if we didn't they would die off' - well, fine, let them die off. Its only for our benifit that we want to keep them. If a breed (of anything) is no longer capable of survival without human intervention then it isn't a viable speciies and should be allowed to die out. Who are we keeping them alive for? not for them, its so we feel better about our selves. Take a picture of it, describe it in a book and let it die out.

On the subject of 'without a market for meat it would die out' here is something for your enjoyment:

https://www.elwooddogmeat.com/