Why become a member? ×

Extraordinary bassist. . . . Sharay Reed

chris_b

7 hours ago, Kiwi said:

Yeah Sharay is an absolute gospel improv monster thanks to his theory training.  But he plays a lot of bland, easy listening, worship stuff and it kind of squashes his buzz a bit. 

Yep it's a shame there are a lot of great players plying their trade in pretty dreary genres (IMO) like worship/gospel, jazz, fusion and prog. I'd listen to SR more but am put off by the music he plays

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bubinga5 said:

I love Sharray Reed but he is a session guy. Mono Neon blows him away for playing the bass he plays on this alone

Why does it need to be a competition? They're both great. SR was backing Corey Henry a while back - absolutely fantastic:

I really want to know how he keeps the beanie perched on the back of his head in the first song! If I tried that it would ping off somewhere never to be seen again! 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Yep it's a shame there are a lot of great players plying their trade.

There it is. Right there. That is why we know about them and they do no know about us. 

Imagine living in a world where not EVERYTHING you do is absolutely stellar. I know that that certainly does not apply in any way shape or form to my career. Phew. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, owen said:

There it is. Right there. That is why we know about them and they do no know about us. 

Imagine living in a world where not EVERYTHING you do is absolutely stellar. I know that that certainly does not apply in any way shape or form to my career. Phew. 

Actually until this thread I'd never heard of Sharay Reed. Then again until joining BC 2 years or so ago I'd never heard of 90% of players that get regular mentions and that includes Victor Wootten, Carole Kaye and Chuck Rainey.

7 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Actually until this thread I'd never heard of Sharay Reed. Then again until joining BC 2 years or so ago I'd never heard of 90% of players that get regular mentions and that includes Victor Wootten, Carole Kaye and Chuck Rainey.

Conversely, I'd never heard of The Chameleons, Comsat Angels or House of Love until you brought them forward (assuming that that's not the same 'Les Caméléons' that we crossed paths with in a past touring life...)

20 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Conversely, I'd never heard of The Chameleons, Comsat Angels or House of Love until you brought them forward (assuming that that's not the same 'Les Caméléons' that we crossed paths with in a past touring life...)

Not many have heard of them! Unless you were a John Peel / post punk aficionado in the 80s these would've gone unnoticed by everyone else on the planet.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, stewblack said:

Like Chris I can appreciate a player regardless of what music he plays. 

What I can't do is enjoy certain genres enough to listen to them. So no matter how great the player, I'll never really know them. 

And that was the gist of one of my posts here. I've heard several fine players from the gospel/worship genre but I can't listen to gospel/worship as a. I dislike the music and b. I'm an atheist. I can't abide fusion/jazz rock but the scene has thrown up more than it's fair share of great players from Jaco, Stanley Clarke and Jeff Berlin to Richard Bona and Hadrien Feraud. I'll watch and listen to these guys and fully appreciate their skills but as for the music? 😞

• Like 1

On 24/03/2021 at 22:54, bubinga5 said:

I love Sharray Reed but he is a session guy. Mono Neon blows him away for playing the bass he plays on this alone. He's a much more exciting bassist. And he plays his bass upside down. 

What's going on from 3:30 onwards..!!

:D

• Haha 1

On 24/03/2021 at 22:54, bubinga5 said:

I love Sharray Reed but he is a session guy. Mono Neon blows him away for playing the bass he plays on this alone. He's a much more exciting bassist. And he plays his bass upside down. 

I love mononeon and think he's the most exciting and original player around but can't see what that has to do with Sharay Reed 

You say Sharay is just a session player but he like mononeon has original music under his own name out there , they're both coming out of church too and mononeon has depped for Sharay in Corey Henry's band,

Sharay is way more in the contemporary gospel tradition and one of the masters of it whereas mononeon is a  maverick trailblazer and for me a total genius but why on earth use this thread about appreciating  a great player to say he's not as good as someone else?

• Like 3

We're all here cause of that crappy clip of him in church playing that wicked version of Joy to the World....He's live and every ones watching him and hes pulling off lightning licks that I've never heard before.....Guys not only got a handle on melody but hes almost like a modern jacked up version of Jamerson. I think he's pretty unique and I'm an A1 religious non believer. 

The guy above is sat in his bedroom kinda widdling really.