Jump to content
DrBike

SX Jazz style basses

Recommended Posts

I've been contemplating getting another "value for money" bass to go with my Harley Benton MJ4-EB, but since many of heir basses (certainly the on I had my eye on)  are either out of stock for some time or completely disappeared from their website, plus we now have Brexit and potential delivery delays from the continent, I've been looking at other budget models and know that SX have had good feedback in the past.

Has anyone had any experience with either their SBJ75 or SJB62C models ?

 

 

SJB75.png

SJB62C.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mr Dr.,

I dont have experience with these models.

However, I have an SX P-bass in lake placid blue, fantastic bass for the money. Finish and fit is great as is stock pickup. On a par and better with Squiers I've played easily.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had an SX about ten years ago and it was brilliant - they punch way above their price point!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DrBike said:

've been contemplating getting another "value for money" bass to go with my Harley Benton MJ4-EB, but since many of heir basses (certainly the on I had my eye on)  are either out of stock for some time or completely disappeared from their website, plus we now have Brexit and potential delivery delays from the continent, I've been looking at other budget models and know that SX have had good feedback in the past.

Has anyone had any experience with either their SBJ75 or SJB62C models ?

Good question - I see a lot of these for sale and often ask myself if they're any good - they certainly look well made, but you never can tell.

TBH though, there aren't many badly made basses any more. Certainly a lot fewer than when I started playing...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had an SX jazz a few years back.  Ash body and maple neck.  It was an excellent bass in every way.  It was a bit heavy though.  I would say, go for it.

Frank.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, but which one? 

I think that the "62" is basswood and the "75" is swamp ash. Not had a basswood bodied bass before, but the it's £70 cheaper 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Grahambythesea said:

Am I right in thinking SX is an Aria brand?

Pretty sure it's not. I think it's a US importer brand that has a bit of distribution.

They do have a reputation for being excellent for the money - it's likely they come from the same manufacturers as other budget-but-good brands like Harley Benton and J&D.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I may be looking at a lightweight 4 string SX bass in the near future. I've heard that they're decent, but their price may be slightly at the top end of what I'm looking for. Can't find anything about their weight of the different models though which is one of the main factors for me. Anything above 8lb and it's a "next?".

Edited by TheLowDown

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, DrBike said:

Yeah, but which one? 

I think that the "62" is basswood and the "75" is swamp ash. Not had a basswood bodied bass before, but the it's £70 cheaper 

Mine was the SJB75. It was a bit older though, before they ruined the headstock shape.

Frank.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, machinehead said:

Mine was the SJB75. It was a bit older though, before they ruined the headstock shape.

Frank.

Funnily enough, the headstock puts me  off too. Not saying never of course - but it's not right is it? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never had one of their basses but I have an SX Tele style six string electric guitar and it's terrific, well built, great finish and plays and sounds great :)

John 😎 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/01/2021 at 16:08, DrBike said:

I've been contemplating getting another "value for money" bass to go with my Harley Benton MJ4-EB, but since many of heir basses (certainly the on I had my eye on)  are either out of stock for some time or completely disappeared from their website, plus we now have Brexit and potential delivery delays from the continent, I've been looking at other budget models and know that SX have had good feedback in the past.

Has anyone had any experience with either their SBJ75 or SJB62C models ?

 

 

SJB75.png

SJB62C.png

 

I haven't tried those, but my experience with SX instruments has always been very good. Like most cheaper instruments, they often benefit from some attention, perhaps some mild fret levelling, or the nut slots, just things like that which would be covered in any decent setup. They punch way above their price suggest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/01/2021 at 13:41, Grahambythesea said:

Am I right in thinking SX is an Aria brand?

 

No, SX is an independent established brand with their own factories in China, as far as I was told back in 2005 when I came across my first SX guitar. I got in touch with them because they seemed to make a wide range of instruments which we couldn't really see over here and I was after a cheap but nice Stratocaster. I think they have had deals with a couple of retailers, like Rondo in the US and... I forgot the name of another shop in Germany (where I got my first one). There was another shop in Ireland that seemed to sell a great selection of what SX made, around 10 years ago, but I can't find them anymore.

 

edit: some about the SX history, it looks like they used to make instruments for others for many years, and then they set up their own brand SX. It sounds a bit like Cort in that respect.

http://www.sx-guitar.com/index.php/About/history

Edited by mcnach

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/01/2021 at 14:52, Bassassin said:

Pretty sure it's not. I think it's a US importer brand that has a bit of distribution.

They do have a reputation for being excellent for the money - it's likely they come from the same manufacturers as other budget-but-good brands like Harley Benton and J&D.

 

It's true that some of their instruments look a lot like some J&D and Harley Benton, and even some Jim Deacon a decade ago or so... but SX say they make their own instruments and since the early 2000s don't make instruments for others. Shrug.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Laura Lee of Khruangbin uses a SX Jazz as her #1 recording and touring bass. As far as I know the pickups in it are the stock ones it comes with. Sounds fine to me 😎

955783D1-73E9-479C-96DE-561240730805.thumb.jpeg.ee6b1530134667fdea947aa044af4456.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, stewblack said:

Funnily enough, the headstock puts me  off too. Not saying never of course - but it's not right is it? 

I’m not a fan. The SX I had years ago had the older headstock. I have a maple jazz neck on one of my bitsa basses at the moment, and I’ve toyed with making up some veneers to cover it up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, meterman said:

Laura Lee of Khruangbin uses a SX Jazz as her #1 recording and touring bass. As far as I know the pickups in it are the stock ones it comes with. Sounds fine to me 😎

955783D1-73E9-479C-96DE-561240730805.thumb.jpeg.ee6b1530134667fdea947aa044af4456.jpeg

It may well be the only bass she actually has I think - cracking player and band

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

It may well be the only bass she actually has I think - cracking player and band

I just checked the Khruangbin Rig Rundown on Premier Guitar ans Laura says that the SX is her only bass, although Mark Speer did swap out the pickups for Dimarzios. So it’s not stock like I thought.

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/27261-rig-rundown-khruangbin 
 

At 16:40 in the video you see her live rig which is just SX bass through a compression pedal into a Fender amp. There’s a copy of a Hofner violin bass that she has as a backup which she’s used on recordings and says it’s easier to play, but she might only have used it at one show.

I read she played a Fender VI on the Leon Bridges sessions, I need to check that out with headphones I think. The production on it is so straight yet beautiful.

Got me looking at green SX’s now 😆

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not come across Khruangbin before. Really interesting band. 

I just hope no one else is planning on using any reverb if Khruangbin is gigging, because I think they use it all! 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, meterman said:

I just checked the Khruangbin Rig Rundown on Premier Guitar ans Laura says that the SX is her only bass, although Mark Speer did swap out the pickups for Dimarzios. So it’s not stock like I thought.

She's got an odd knob too (no sniggering at the back).

My dilemma about choosing between the 2 is that I love bound necks with inlays, but I'm not so keen on maple fretboards.  I really dig the retro look of the green one (similar model to Laura Lee), although I'd probably ditch the chrome bits.  I actually prefer this headstock to their older design.

Although having just seen the post Christmas credit card bill, any purchases might have to wait, unless i decide to move the HB on.  Anyone interested in a Harley Benton MJ4-EB ?

 

hb-bass.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, DrBike said:

She's got an odd knob too (no sniggering at the back).

My dilemma about choosing between the 2 is that I love bound necks with inlays, but I'm not so keen on maple fretboards.  I really dig the retro look of the green one (similar model to Laura Lee), although I'd probably ditch the chrome bits.  I actually prefer this headstock to their older design.

Although having just seen the post Christmas credit card bill, any purchases might have to wait, unless i decide to move the HB on.  Anyone interested in a Harley Benton MJ4-EB ?

 

hb-bass.jpg

 

😍 now that's a cool bass

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DrBike said:

Anyone interested in a Harley Benton MJ4-EB ?

Well duh! Of course I am.

🤦‍♂️

(not that sure I can afford any basses though)

Edited by stewblack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

It may well be the only bass she actually has I think - cracking player and band

For some reason YT bombarded me with Khruangbin  content in late Autumn last year but now its Ashley Neal Driving Tips and ' Officer Gets Mad After Issuing Questionable Commands' etc.

BTW it's a wig.....

Edited by yorks5stringer
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...