Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fenders

Reggaebass

8 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Talking of maple fingerboards recently, Andy Baxter has just put up a lovely 72 P, great condition 

https://www.andybaxterbass.com/products/1972-fender-precision-bass-sunburst-2

Call me a traditionalist but a maple neck just doesn’t look right with a 3TS body. It’s rosewood all the way for me. On the other hand, maple and black body is where it’s at. I guess I’m influenced by the period I became musically engaged - mid to late 70s. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, dodgnofski said:

Ruddy Heck😳😳🙈🙈🙏🙏

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/256473398272? 

Richard Henry had that advertised in January as a SFC at £7.5k. I made enquiries then. Richard said it was straight and legit apart from the old refin, so I would take that as the truth, Richard is one of the good guys.

Rob

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ped said:

Don't know why but a refinish always puts me right off. Good job, otherwise I'd be much worse off!

Well, that makes sense - what you are paying so much for is that it is an antique, and if it has been modified it is not the same thing

Well yeah but it is, but cheaper. My 3 (body) refinished Fenders don't sound or play different from an original. I want the sound and feel of an old Fender, not the exact original finish. If the wood, hardware and electronics are original: sign me up. Oh and the refin has to be pretty.

I mean: nothing wrong with a good refin.

tiorb4F.jpg

• Like 4

I’m currently about 10 minutes away from Pudsey. If it had been a 62 Precision (YOB for me) I’d have jumped at the chance.

If it had been an original finish, would it have been about £5k more?

19 minutes ago, Velarian said:

I’m currently about 10 minutes away from Pudsey. If it had been a 62 Precision (YOB for me) I’d have jumped at the chance.

If it had been an original finish, would it have been about £5k more?

As a general rule of thumb, a refin knocks 50% off. Some dealers may argue otherwise, but I think I heard Andy Baxter say this once too.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, BassAgent said:

Well yeah but it is, but cheaper. My 3 (body) refinished Fenders don't sound or play different from an original. I want the sound and feel of an old Fender, not the exact original finish. If the wood, hardware and electronics are original: sign me up. Oh and the refin has to be pretty.

tiorb4F.jpg

No nothing wrong with it at all if reflected in the price, but I don't think everyone factors that in enough. That Jazz looks amazing by the way and given the limited colour options at the time it gives you the chance to have something custom

5 minutes ago, ped said:

No nothing wrong with it at all if reflected in the price, but I don't think everyone factors that in enough. That Jazz looks amazing by the way and given the limited colour options at the time it gives you the chance to have something custom

Agreed. I’d also never buy a refin without  rock solid provenance. It’s easy enough to hide things with a new cost of paint. (It’s conceivable that the body may not be original, either…)

Too many unanswered questions for me, but totally understand others are happy with that. 

3 hours ago, ossyrocks said:

Richard Henry had that advertised in January as a SFC at £7.5k. I made enquiries then. Richard said it was straight and legit apart from the old refin, so I would take that as the truth, Richard is one of the good guys.

Rob

It was advertised previously on the fretboard as a 63. I remember it clearly as I messaged the seller to say it was a 62 slab and potentially more valuable. IIRC it was advertised around £6k.

looks a nice bass. Maybe towards 20k if it was original. Very difficult to judge the right price currently as there are a good number of vintage Jazz basses languishing unsold on the hallowed pages of Messrs Baxter, ATB etc

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, GuyR said:

It was advertised previously on the fretboard as a 63. I remember it clearly as I messaged the seller to say it was a 62 slab and potentially more valuable. IIRC it was advertised around £6k.

looks a nice bass. Maybe towards 20k if it was original. Very difficult to judge the right price currently as there are a good number of vintage Jazz basses languishing unsold on the hallowed pages of Messrs Baxter, ATB etc

I saw that. Very helpful if you and I’m sure he’s grateful.

I think the price is punch. Quite why people consider it a “custom colour” when it’s a refin is beyond me. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, GuyR said:

It was advertised previously on the fretboard

I remember it being there and I don’t think 6k was a bad price for the year, I was kinda tempted to go and have a look but I’m not really into refinishes, and I think it was quite a distance from me 

Regarding the ‘62 Jazz, it might be the angle the pic was taken but to my eyes some of the fretwork looks a little off at the dusty end.

It may be my eyes, so more than happy for someone to hurl Mr Magoo references my way!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BassAgent said:

tiorb4F.jpg

I'm totally with you. I don't mind a decent refinish. I'd happily live with that '62, it looks awesome. 

Your '70 as pictured above has a very satisfying shade of blue combined with the tort. 

3 hours ago, Old Man Riva said:

Regarding the ‘62 Jazz, it might be the angle the pic was taken but to my eyes some of the fretwork looks a little off at the dusty end.

It may be my eyes, so more than happy for someone to hurl Mr Magoo references my way!

Im with you on that one Mick, looks like the tang is out of the groove...

1 hour ago, SurroundedByManatees said:

I'm totally with you. I don't mind a decent refinish. I'd happily live with that '62, it looks awesome. 

Your '70 as pictured above has a very satisfying shade of blue combined with the tort. 

I wouldn’t object to a refin at the right price, so long as it’s at least as good as my other basses. I think BassAgents example looks great. 
If you are going to buy a refin, it gives you a perfect opportunity to specify a really rare custom colour, pink, coral, foam or even sparkle, with no monetary loss other than the cost of the refin. If you are able to take images that corroborate the vintage correctness of the body while the paint is off, you could potentially strengthen the provenance and reinforce the value at the same time.

If you’re only paying refin money and the provenance stacks up. 

I have to say I do like the look of a natural pre 66 jazz bass, stripped of the paint and preferably with a good deal of wear. I’d potentially pay more for that, being able to see correct holes, although of course they can be faked. Somehow, stripped feels less “modified” to me.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, GuyR said:

It's possible that the pots are dated 1963 which might explain the previous advertisement. The neck date isn't the only reference point.

18 minutes ago, Sparky Mark said:

It's possible that the pots are dated 1963 which might explain the previous advertisement. The neck date isn't the only reference point.

The pots are dated for early 1962. It’s a slab board, discontinued in August 1962, the serial dates it to early -mid 62. It’s as 1962 as it is possible to be.

The person advertising it wasn’t the owner nor was he familiar with the nuances, so had no reason to question the owner’s assertion it was a 63. The thread originally had a gallery of photos, now removed.

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/259452/

Edited by GuyR
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, briansbrew said:

My 77P is 42mm so possibly a mistake on the listing

My 78P is about 41mm, so it could be a slight over measurement.

Still, it seems like a reasonable deal - I paid £1.6k about three and a half years ago, but mine didn't have the original bridge and needed cleaning up a bit, so £2k doesn't seem to be a bad price. 

Edited by peteb
  • Thanks 1