Jump to content
wateroftyne

Real-world gigging experiences post-COVID - how is it for you?

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

Still no gigs for me. Anyone else?

Nope. And no prospects any time soon, as things are going in the wrong direction here at the moment. Looks like I will get to do another small outdoor private jam tomorrow with my regular Friday night crew though, at least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am completely reliant on the income. Last week we played four shows in Norway. It was nice to play again and the audience were very appreciative, but the promoter took a serious hit-audience figures between 20 and 60. At the moment I’m trying to work on a new source of income. It has been very difficult to do this with the kids at home. Here in Germany they go back to school in the second week of August. Let’s see what happens then…

Theoretically some playing work should start for me again in mid October, but, for reasons obvious, I’m sceptical as to whether that will happen.

Edited by SICbass

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

Still no gigs for me. Anyone else?

Wannasee Penrith cancelled and the drive in gig in Newcastle too. Festival in Godmanstone on 15th August (outdoor shindig) still 100% on, sale with the Newark drive in. Another one added up in Blyth on 16th August, again outdoor Social Distance type gig. Slowly slowly but nowhere near normality. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We’re a pub band here in Scotland and nothing on the horizon yet. I think it’ll be one of the last areas to be given the go ahead by the Scot. Gov. 

Our drummer did a live streamed gig with her other band from her garden and by all accounts her neighbours loved it so we might do one as a ‘rehearsal’ but it’s not due to imminent gigs. In saying that we have a great relationship with our main pub and once they get the green light we’ve been assured we’re first in so it’s nice to know that we’ll be able to hit the ground running - let’s hope we’re not too rusty! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last gig was September. I played 3 sets with 3 different bands at an all dayer. 
 

Tried to quit one of those bands after the show, they didn’t let me (best mates and all). Didn’t want to do one but couldn’t get out of it, not playing with them now. Then the third one was my band so all rosey. Pointless bank story there. 
 

As an almost 40 year old alt/punk kid, who is doing this for fun, it’s frustrating not to gig. But like so many others, as it’s not a revenue stream so I’m not too phased. 
 

I’m spending the time writing for a new project that I’m very excited for. Our first practice was a huge success and we are going at this with the main aim of making some really good recordings, not worried about gigging at the moment. 
 

A very fortunate position to be in. 
 

My heart bleeds for people that need to make a living out of this stuff. Venue staff, performers, techs and engineers.

 

Things won’t get any easier for a while as those small gigs and venues will be hardest hit. 
 

However, when they are back (bigger, better, stronger) I’m going to love and appreciate them even more. 
 

I look forward to playing live again. 

Edited by Nothingman
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's going to be down to what sort of band you are, if the audience normally sits down quietly at tables the gigs will start sooner, but if you're a raucous rock act like us gigs are a long way off

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

I think it's going to be down to what sort of band you are, if the audience normally sits down quietly at tables the gigs will start sooner, but if you're a raucous rock act like us gigs are a long way off

The drummer at my usual jam is attempting to organise an outdoor session at our normal venue, for the middle of August.
Assuming we're having a good day, the audience normally sits down quietly at tables.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, knirirr said:

The drummer at my usual jam is attempting to organise an outdoor session at our normal venue, for the middle of August.
Assuming we're having a good day, the audience normally sits down quietly at tables.

Yeh, ours too:

IMG_5703.thumb.jpg.43b46c81d7b1baf7bc43457fa0660159.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/07/2020 at 14:08, Happy Jack said:

Yup. 8th August with the covers band, 22md August with the rockabilly outfit, both in the car park of the same venue.

They're for charidee.

Apparently.

 

A-a-a-a-a-nd ... both cancelled.

 

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And Aug 15th now cancelled. Was on this morning, cancelled by lunch. Outdoor local festival too. Bugger

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope, scratch that we are back on 15th. Smaller festival this at then full next year. Woohoo!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, walshy said:

Nope, scratch that we are back on 15th. Smaller festival this at then full next year. Woohoo!!

Need a back-up band? ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Need a back-up band? ;)

Drop them a line Godstonebury festival at Flower Farm 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, walshy said:

Drop them a line Godstonebury festival at Flower Farm 😁

Hah! That's exactly where I had this done:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, a quick update. We have confirmed gigs on

15th Aug - Outdoor Festival Godstonebury

16th August - Beer Garden Festival Newcastle

18th August - Drive in Gig Newark.

Typical 3 gigs in 4 days but I am not complaining. Lets see how they go and fingers crossed this is the start of better things for us 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My band are still a little confused about gigging, as we been offered a couple of garden parties, although one is in a privately owned 5 acre field. Going by the current guidelines (were only weekend warriors) would anyone know if we fall into the 30 people max capacity?
 

 Thanks 

Edited by Brian45

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apologies if this has been posted already - saw it yesterday, not great.

BAD NEWS for professional performers from EQUITY in an email received today! In brief: OLIVER DOWDEN (Secretary Of State For Digital/Culture/Media/Sport) has confirmed that a full re-opening of LIVE PERFORMANCE will NOT be happening until 2021 with no further updates on the present decision (in respect of indoor performances) until NOVEMBER at the earliest! This means no Panto or Christmas season this year. SEE EMAIL BELOW: 1f641.png:(

'Last Wednesday Oliver Dowden confirmed that a full re-opening of live performance will not happen until 2021, with no further updates until November. This is devastating for panto, the wider theatre industry and for all those who work on productions made financially unviable by socially distanced audiences.

It has emerged that only £2 million of the arts rescue package has been allocated to freelancers, meaning less than 0.2% of a £1.57 billion fund will directly support workers. With the £1 million committed to the Benevolent Fund by Equity exhausted in just a few months, this is both derisory and troubling.

On Friday Boris Johnson announced that the anticipated re-opening of indoor live performance was postponed – the day before indoor shows had been set to begin again. This eleventh-hour decision came as a significant blow for many of our members working across variety and performance who had hoped/ to start earning again in August...'

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing yet for me.

We've begun rehearsing again, since we can accommodate adequate social distancing.

Since the members of the band come from different parts of our (small) country, we rehearse in a central location. Was going well again until our vocalist - who lives in the Antwerp region - was required by law to be home by 23 h in order to comply with recently introduced nighttime curfew.

So - an hour's drive, two hours rehearsal, and an hour back. Hey ho!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve got a four piece coming up on Aug 23. It’s on a cricket field with power provided from the village hall across the road. We’re not quite sure how the organisers are going to achieve this, if it’s overhead could be interesting if a high vehicle comes by. Could imagine the line, amps, instruments, musicians, awning, all being dragged down the road. But then I’ve got a very active imagination.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, casapete said:

Apologies if this has been posted already - saw it yesterday, not great.

BAD NEWS for professional performers from EQUITY in an email received today! In brief: OLIVER DOWDEN (Secretary Of State For Digital/Culture/Media/Sport) has confirmed that a full re-opening of LIVE PERFORMANCE will NOT be happening until 2021 with no further updates on the present decision (in respect of indoor performances) until NOVEMBER at the earliest! This means no Panto or Christmas season this year. SEE EMAIL BELOW: 1f641.png:(

'Last Wednesday Oliver Dowden confirmed that a full re-opening of live performance will not happen until 2021, with no further updates until November. This is devastating for panto, the wider theatre industry and for all those who work on productions made financially unviable by socially distanced audiences.

It has emerged that only £2 million of the arts rescue package has been allocated to freelancers, meaning less than 0.2% of a £1.57 billion fund will directly support workers. With the £1 million committed to the Benevolent Fund by Equity exhausted in just a few months, this is both derisory and troubling.

On Friday Boris Johnson announced that the anticipated re-opening of indoor live performance was postponed – the day before indoor shows had been set to begin again. This eleventh-hour decision came as a significant blow for many of our members working across variety and performance who had hoped/ to start earning again in August...'

Thanks for the info. Does it have an official source/link?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, paul_c2 said:

Thanks for the info. Does it have an official source/link?

Sorry, I haven't got a source - it was forwarded on to me. Some more links here though -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-53668563

https://inews.co.uk/culture/arts/coronavirus-latest-pantos-cancelled-uncertainty-theatres-reopening-england-572365

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And 15th cancelled again. Sad times, waiting for the others to go too! 2020 sucks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We did a birthday party in someone’s back garden last week bit strange but nice to be out again, we were due to play outside at the local cricket club tonight after the game and another garden party birthday next Friday. However  after Greater Manchester was put back into some extra lockdown measures in due to an increase in cases both have been postponed. A bit frustrating as Wigan has one of the lowest rates in the North West and well below the national average. But they have decided to include the whole area in the measures other than borough by borough. 

We have another gig booked for next Saturday at a bowling club but I fully expect that to be cancelled as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...