2 hours ago, Sibob said:

My Serek Midwestern is easily the best shortscale I’ve ever played, B90 pickup (with dummy coil), absolutely love it.

E4195B0D-9655-415F-989F-914CAA9603C9.jpeg.725b3bde2b1477fd2d18767db4ca26f9.jpeg

Can be heard on this track:

https://open.spotify.com/track/3PUTP5fy1snxO9giraiosl?si=E5yBVr_MQ3WM3m7_cOuQaQ

Si

I have admittedly drooled a lot over the basses displayed on the Serek homepage, personally I am particularly fond of the Sacramento model, and if I were to buy one of their basses it would be that model, short scale of course, and then probably equipped with TV Jones Thunder Blade pickups, or perhaps the Novak Thunderbird ones, but really they are all gorgeous basses to look at and listen to, and your's is no exception to that. :i-m_so_happy:

Though if I ever get to save up the kind of money that a Serek bass would cost me, and can afford to use them on a bass, I'd personally rather chose to spend them on having a custom bass made exactly to my preferred specs by one of the cheaper luthiers who'll do custom work.

I absolutely do understand the appeal of these basses though, as said they are absolutely astonishing beautiful instruments, and the ones I've heard demos or sound samples of has sounded no short of amazing as well, I just happens to have some very specific and a bit unusual preferences and wishes when it comes to the ultimate specs for a bass, so getting a bass that would actually fulfill those wishes and be able to closely match my, as said a bit unusual, personal preferences would have priority for me.

However had my economical situation been different and I would never have to consider my priorities in that regard and weren't being forced to make such a choice, but was able to afford both I'd most definitely get me a Serek Sacramento bass, or perhaps even a couple. :biggrin:

In fact owning a Serek bass is actually quite high up on my bass guitar wish list, just not at the very top, and I'll just have to come to terms with the facts of my economical situation coupled with my other higher priorities making the prospect of me ever actually getting one of these basses extremely slim, with quite high probability even.

I suppose that would probably really make it more of a dream than an actual wish, as in

"If only..." 

->**deep wistful sigh**<-  

"...guess we are just not meant to be..."

Though they sure do seem to be absolutely amazing instruments, and I can totally see how you would love it so much. :)    

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

I bought my first bass from my guitar teacher.  It was an Applause semi-acoustic short scale.  It had a rounded back made from some sort of plastic type material and was the cheaper version of their Ovation model.  It was OK to learn on but the body was a little too deep for comfort.  I didn't know it was short scale - I thought all bass guitars were like that!

I sold it and bought a larger acoustic bass (can't remember the make - might have been a Washburn).  It was huge - about the size of a 'cello!  I almost had to put it down and walk to the end of the neck to reach the low F; OK, I exaggerate a little, but only a little!  That went and I moved to the other extreme with a Tanglewood version of the Hofner violin bass.  Being a Beatles fan I liked the look of it and it was very lightweight.  When the Christian music band I was in came to an end the Tanglewood sat in its case for several years until the band leader at our new church asked if I played anything.  His eyes lit up when I mentioned that I used to play bass and I quickly dusted off the Tanglewood and began to get back up to speed.

Once I was back playing I decided to upgrade and bought a Chowny SWB-1.  As has been mentioned in some posts above, the Chowny is a lovely bass and I did like it a lot.  The problem was the weight of it - nearly 9lb if I remember rightly.  I have lower back issues and the Chowny was not kind to my spine.  I tried all kinds of straps but to no avail and, very sadly, it had to go.  If it had been around the 7lb region I would still have it because it really was a nice little bass.  If you fancy one don't let my back issues put you off.  I had a local guitar tech make me a new truss rod cover because the Chowny one looked too much like a Rickenbacker!

I now have an Italia Maranello Cavo hollow body short scale bass weighing in at just over 7lb.  It has neck dive issues, even though I swapped the standard tuners for Hipshot Ultralight ones.  I'm currently trying various straps to compensate.  Like the Chowny I bought it from the internet as they are pretty thin on the ground.  I don't usually like chrome fittings and much prefer a natural wood finish but I've learned to like the 'bling' of the Italia.  I have it strung with flat wounds and it sounds fine to me.  I still have the Tanglewood violin bass as a back up.

P1060036 (576x800).jpg

P1010586.JPG

P1020792 (2) (595x800).jpg

Edited by LeftyP
  • Like 3

As the car was due a service and sitting on a wall, reading for 2 hours didn't appeal, I finally went out into the wilds of the high street. As that high street was Epsom, a visit to Guitar Guitar was had. Picking up where I left off in Jan/Feb of this year, I tried the Fender JMJ Mustang again (along with a couple of other shorties). Damn! I see a JMJ in my future; so nice. Time to offload some gear to finance it.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, barrycreed said:

Any recommendations for upgrades to an Epiphone EB0? Dimarzio pickup? New bridge? What about a brass or aluminium nut? Upgrade wiring?

I have no experience of their bass pickups, bit if they are anywhere as good as their P90 pickups for guitar, I'd definitely give the Artec Mudbucker pickup a go https://www.northwestguitars.co.uk/ebc4-mudbucker-pickup-for-sg-bass/ ridiculous value for money and quality tones.

Edited by ezbass

5 hours ago, ezbass said:

I have no experience of their bass pickups, bit if they are anywhere as good as their P90 pickups for guitar, I'd definitely give the Artec Mudbucker pickup a go https://www.northwestguitars.co.uk/ebc4-mudbucker-pickup-for-sg-bass/ ridiculous value for money and quality tones.

Wasn't aware of this model hb. Funnily enough I have a Gibson SG Faded bass which I picked up for €450/£400, and it'll never be a "no 1" bass, so I was half thinking of selling it, getting an Epi EB0 and upgrading a few bits and have it as an extra bass. I suppose if I take into account what I'd spend on the extras and the Epi EB0, I may not be far off 400 quid!

Just ordered one of these Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray short scales this evening...They just released these recently in this Starry Night finish.

I could not resist. The one I picked is pretty light at 3.22 kg 😎

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ4oKMNee_0

F88450-front-xlarge.thumb.jpg.deace67d0b9e9ad3cacdf63db524bb6e.jpg

F88450-back-xlarge.thumb.jpg.582c06e9d3b32081e45c433beef0dd65.jpgF88450-angle-xlarge.thumb.jpg.3660f904258b864284a5b385b081f7a4.jpg

Edited by TK4261
added info
  • Like 4

Well here's my current stash of short scales from top to bottom ... all superb in different ways

Fender Justin Meldal-Johnsen Mustang -  superb straight forward solid rock bass, feels lived in   /  Warwick SS Corvette - useful 2 band active, punchy and articulate, skinny neck  /  Fender USA Performer Mustang - polite with a good range of tones, the J pup is very usable and adds a lot of definition, lovely to play ... I want to try a Stingray Shorty now!

IMG_0218.thumb.jpg.ab35a4f2a62dbcc8f9fc6595a369b7b5.jpg

• Like 7

I just received this today 😁  Ernie Ball Short Scale Stingray "Starry Night"  3.17kg. nice and light, The quality is amazing and it feels and sounds like a High end 34" Stingray just in a short scale size..It really is an amazing little Bass.

20200908_192904.thumb.jpg.63f82b1d299cb35b0d2a9de43098b01f.jpg20200908_163818.thumb.jpg.ee385cb95f94dee3a1dcb063063b3533.jpg20200908_184752.thumb.jpg.acc21464411290a104141dc371d86692.jpg20200908_184714.thumb.jpg.ae6dc0b0c7725180d765e703af3c8153.jpg20200908_184954.thumb.jpg.7f02d24fcfdbf5bf47f4851d6fd9e7d4.jpg20200908_194022.thumb.jpg.41b3138c198f631eddd8f41d42d33ac1.jpg20200908_184803.thumb.jpg.f2fa07f0434f2eb2657aaaadc47f51fb.jpg20200908_185009.thumb.jpg.8a02dbf718921a1a49dea68c9abe6b22.jpg

• Like 18

Having sold my MM Sterling I now have heavy gas for a short-scale Stingray.  The new USA ones look very nice, especially the Sunburst, but they are going to be very expensive so how is everyone getting on with their SBMM SS Rays?  What weight are they coming in at?  Anyone tried any other strings apart from the stock EBs?

Has anyone compared the Epiphone EB0 with the Gibson SG Bass? Besides the extra pickup on the Gibson...

I have the Gibson but thinking of “downgrading” to the Epi and putting the funds into a j bass !

A foolish move? 

15 minutes ago, barrycreed said:

Has anyone compared the Epiphone EB0 with the Gibson SG Bass? Besides the extra pickup on the Gibson...

I have the Gibson but thinking of “downgrading” to the Epi and putting the funds into a j bass !

A foolish move? 

Do a search both here and Google, there's numerous threads comparing the two.

1 hour ago, barrycreed said:

A foolish move? 

I have actually! Neither are really like the original, but the original is very much an aquired taste. Both are lower output and have more top end than a 60's EB, which to most will be an improvement anyway. The Gibson obviously has a classier feel, but I think that the main difference for me is in the neck joint. With the pickup position being what it is there is going to be an overridingly big, bassy voice, but the bolt on adds a subtle 'snap' to the note, whereas the glued joint has less of a 'pop' to the attack, rather more of an on/off feel to the notes. All in my opinion, of course.

Whether you would be a fool to fund a Jazz that way is up to you- depends on what you want and need, and whether that small shift in voice will work for you or not.

10 hours ago, barrycreed said:

A foolish move? 

Having owned an EB0 I would imagine it would be quite a downgrade as the one I owned was terrible. But some people seem to love them. 

That MM is simply stunning but well out of my price range.

But the call of the short scale is strong after getting rid of a lovely Mustang in my recent cull. The FSR black Mustang from BAX is very tempting but I have sworn off buying any new basses....:crazy:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, obbm said:

Having sold my MM Sterling I now have heavy gas for a short-scale Stingray.  The new USA ones look very nice, especially the Sunburst, but they are going to be very expensive so how is everyone getting on with their SBMM SS Rays?  What weight are they coming in at?  Anyone tried any other strings apart from the stock EBs?

I have the same issue, would love a EBMM Shorty 'Ray but the Sterling is so appealing  at that price, reading the reviews and comments here and on TalkBass they are raving about them !!

Edited by Adee
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jezzaboy said:

Having owned an EB0 I would imagine it would be quite a downgrade as the one I owned was terrible. But some people seem to love them. 

Yeah, that's what I'm thinkin. Just bloody play the one I have! :)

• Like 1

There's this vid that compares the Gibson SG vs Epiphone EB3 basses.  There is I am sure an Anderton one comparing the Epiphone EB0 and EB3 somewhere, too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul S said:

There's this vid that compares the Gibson SG vs Epiphone EB3 basses.  There is I am sure an Anderton one comparing the Epiphone EB0 and EB3 somewhere, too.

This one? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been recording with my short scale today. I'd forgotten just how weeny it really is, I think it's a 25 inch scale, or maybe 25.5 at most. Either way it's one of the best £4.76 I ever spent :) I was going to chuck it out when I got my Squier bass but I'm glad I kept it now.

1600197826_05.jpeg.9ddb2d5d1816db5475858d3a2cb202e6.jpeg

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Pea Turgh said:

That looks like fun!  Got any sound clips?

Okay yeah, it was a different portastudio but the same kind of messing about. Very lo-fi. Not sure how to insert a video here but the link will work. 

Today I'm tidying up a bunch of originals, mostly acoustic and vocals but the little Tanglewood bass is on a lot of the tracks, it records really well. It's got LaBella flats on it and it's a joy to play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGBJf3H730U

Edited by meterman
link
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1