18 hours ago, barrycreed said:

A question some short scalers might be able to answer. I have the Gibson SG bass, which can be seen in above photos, and I notice there's a rattle of the neck pickup when playing. Even if I place a hand on it, it still rattles, so might be something inside. Anyone ever experience this?

Also, should I be going flatwounds to really get the best out of this? Has a real retro vibe and sound. The bridge pickup is nice blended in with the neck which can be a bit too much sometimes!

I believe that, like the old sidewinders, the pickup is held in place by pressure between the cover and back of the route. If it's not a tight fit, then it can rattle in there. A thicker bit of foam under the pickup, or something between pickup and cover should sort that.

Flats? It's up to you, there's no 'should', but they will maximise that old fashioned thing you're hearing. EBs with rounds make a nice fat sound with a bit of growl, too, so it depends what you're after!

For me it's the Mustang (and if 33" counts, then also my ACG!), both pictured here!

• Like 5

On 26/06/2020 at 16:56, Dosi Y'Anarchy said:

Here's my current stable of shorties, 

Two Bass VIs (squier and gretsch) 

32" jag

Fender Mustang 

Gibson DC Les Paul 

IMG_20200423_143227.jpg

IMG_20200423_143153.jpg

IMG_20200118_200059.jpg

IMG_20190529_090120.jpg

IMG_20200613_150507.jpg

Lovely collection man, I've been lusting after one of those Gibson LP Junior tribute basses (or whatever they're called) for ages! 😍

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TRBboy said:

Lovely collection man, I've been lusting after one of those Gibson LP Junior tribute basses (or whatever they're called) for ages! 😍

Thanks! I think they are great BUT its not a versatile bass, if you want a Dark, woody rock machine, then go for it. It doesn't really do "top end" but it's got a great midrange if you dig in, it alternately makes me feel like Jack Bruce and John Entwistle. 

• Like 1

On 26/06/2020 at 16:56, Dosi Y'Anarchy said:

IMG_20200613_150507.jpg

Love the racing stripe on the Talman. I've got a black short scale Talman and wouldn't mind copying you idea, how did you apply the stripes?

• Like 1

image.thumb.jpeg.38fdb8d890e2904de435b0c2f46fbf6f.jpeg

Self taught, my bass playing began aged 50, 22 years ago. Similarly unaware of the different scale lengths I progressed from a P to a J to a Nanyo and then a medium scale Tokai SG which I gigged with for some years.

At 65 I retired from the weekend warrior circuit and now enjoy the company of 3 other musicians of similar age and disposition in an amateur jazz quartet practicing weekly and performing now and again, (barring lock-down), at venues we can pick and choose.

About this time I bought my first violin bass, and felt very comfortable with the short scale. I then bought my first Mustang. A pro' setup with Labella flats is a must for me.

Playing sitting, they are both very comfortable, the Mustang has a narrower string spacing.

So if you're getting on in years and light-weight and comfort appear more attractive then I say try a SS.

Edited by grandad
added information.
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Kevan said:

Chowny SWB1 pro for me. Huge sound from a small bass. 18v super loud too. 

F8D83940-D5A0-4921-8561-0C196F7329C9.jpeg

These look like the doggie’s dangly bits. I really like to try one. Maybe a trip to Anderton’s when normality and stock return is on the cards.

• Like 1

Here's my 90s reissue Danelectro Longhorn, mint green with silver sparkle instead of the white tape. Lovely and lightweight with a surprisingly aggressive, Rickenbackeresque tone. 

3GEjApb.jpg

eQhbL41.jpg

WnuxnMq.jpg

• Like 9

My Hofner Ignition Club. Another super lightweight bass that is a joy to play. 

Custom oversized ivory scratchplate and control plate, vintage style bakelite knobs and LaBella flats. 

BsOBN9y.jpg

OEx0z18.jpg

• Like 3

Now for the rediculous one, an early 70s Kay KJP-1B. Notoriously shite but as I was taught to respect your elders I felt it deserved some love.

Completely restored and after a good set up and wax potting the pickup it's surprisingly nice to play. Definitely fun and quirky. 

Fd3rQyO.jpg

zFVtKsS.jpg

OYEn0kx.jpg

5LOtpik.jpg

Edited by Maude
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Osiris said:

Love the racing stripe on the Talman. I've got a black short scale Talman and wouldn't mind copying you idea, how did you apply the stripes?

I just bought them off some website I found on Google and they're just self adhesive strips that have a plastic cover to keep the strips in place, you remove them last. 

Found the site https://www.inlaystickers.com/products/racing-line

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've just borrowed a ss Squier Jaguar. Plays and sounds fine but has terrible neck dive.  Is this common?  The whole thing is very lightweight @6.6lbs.

I've not noticed this on a bronco or old Musicmaster I've tried. 

14 hours ago, ezbass said:

These look like the doggie’s dangly bits. I really like to try one. Maybe a trip to Anderton’s when normality and stock return is on the cards.

The Pros look great but the new standard in the trans blue has really caught my eye 

3.png

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, BassApprentice said:

The Pros look great but the new standard in the trans blue has really caught my eye 

3.png

TBH, they all look great, I'd be interested to try any of them.

• Like 2

Just picked up a Talman 30 in ivory. Pricy for second hand - £135 - but the bloke had fitted flats to it. Not plugged into my big amp yet but good through headphone amp and great fun to play. 

On 03/07/2020 at 21:44, Maude said:

Now for the rediculous one, an early 70s Kay KJP-1B. Notoriously shite but as I was taught to respect your elders I felt it deserved some love.

Completely restored and after a good set up and wax potting the pickup it's surprisingly nice to play. Definitely fun and quirky. 

Fd3rQyO.jpg

zFVtKsS.jpg

OYEn0kx.jpg

5LOtpik.jpg

Absolutely love this and a fantastic restoration - great to see it resurrected and what a very cool bass!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Fd3rQyO.jpg

zFVtKsS.jpg

OYEn0kx.jpg

5LOtpik.jpg

You already know I love this look!  What happened to the bridge?  Assuming the one in the first pic wasn’t adjusting for intonation properly?

• Like 1

On 05/07/2020 at 11:24, Pea Turgh said:

You already know I love this look!  What happened to the bridge?  Assuming the one in the first pic wasn’t adjusting for intonation properly?

That first picture is after I fitted a Squier Bronco bridge. The old one which someone had fitted did actual intonate OK after all but the string spacing was too wide meaning my G string kept falling off (said the vicar😁) the side of the fretboard. The Bronco brought it from 19mm down to 17mm so it's all tickety boo now. 🙂

Edited by Maude

8 hours ago, three said:

Absolutely love this and a fantastic restoration - great to see it resurrected and what a very cool bass!

Thank you 🙂.

The build (strip and paint) diary is here if you're feeling really bored 😉

Edited by Maude

A Serek Midwestern has just popped up in the for sale section. Closes eyes, sticks fingers in and hums loudly. 😬

Fd3rQyO.jpg

zFVtKsS.jpg

OYEn0kx.jpg

5LOtpik.jpg

That's one of the coolest restorations I've ever seen! LOVE the refin work on that, it looks first class 👍

• Thanks 1

On 04/07/2020 at 11:25, MoonBassAlpha said:

I've just borrowed a ss Squier Jaguar. Plays and sounds fine but has terrible neck dive.  Is this common?  The whole thing is very lightweight @6.6lbs.

I've not noticed this on a bronco or old Musicmaster I've tried. 

A lightweight instrument body adds to the tendency to neck dive. My SS Jaguar does not dive but it weighs some 4.2kg.

Yes, light weight is not the boon it seems if it upsets the balance and makes playing less of a joy. That's a heck of a difference in weight for the same instrument. The one I tried was a made in Indonesia 2013 Squier.