Why become a member? ×

Fender To Discontinue Ash Bodies In Production Models

therealting

18 minutes ago, Sibob said:

Meh, not surprising really.
Good on them for taking some action for conservation reasons.

Si

Probably more of an availability issue rather than conservation issue - although that’s a nice spin.

Some people call my cynical, but they would, wouldn’t they?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ClassicVibes said:

Ash is one of the lightest woods out there?

I expect it's a demand and supply thing. Just like rosewood, it will be back...

Depends on the type. I’ve had a swamp ash Fender P that was 7.5lbs and heavy as f@%# 1970’s ones. But yeah, good ash is often light. Some of the 50’s ash Fenders are super light and sound awesome. 

2 hours ago, Delberthot said:

"Fender also writes that they will debut new construction methods and techniques to make the most of their remaining ash stock, plus experiment with new and historical woods"

I'm going with butcher's block or ply 🤔

Probably ash laminated tops over poplar or basswood or something. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

My poplar bodied Vintage Tony Butler Precision sounds so similar to my US Fender Precision that I reckon that will be a good move/solution.

They used to make Mexican Standards out of Poplar before using Alder 3 and 4 piece bodies.

2 hours ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Every ash bodied bass Ive owned weighed well over 10lbs, one upto 12lbs.

Wouldn't call those light.

Yeah, difference between Ash (can be heavy) and Swamp Ash (usually lighter).

Si

• Like 1

On 17/04/2020 at 17:32, Delberthot said:

"Fender also writes that they will debut new construction methods and techniques to make the most of their remaining ash stock, plus experiment with new and historical woods"

I'm going with butcher's block or ply 🤔

Nothing new here, some USA Standards circa late 80s and into the 90s were veneered tops e.g. US Telecaster Plus.   I  spent considerable time avoiding buying a Tele with this 'feature' ).  Until recently I had an Ash Strat, beautiful thing, would be a custom shop body in today's world.  I also needed a body building course, it was a boat anchor.

Edited by 3below
corrected grammatical error.

3 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

My poplar bodied Vintage Tony Butler Precision sounds so similar to my US Fender Precision that I reckon that will be a good move/solution.

Always been intrigued by that model. I take it has the regular P style neck? Also, is it gloss or satin finish (rear of neck)? 

19 hours ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Every ash bodied bass Ive owned weighed well over 10lbs, one upto 12lbs.

Wouldn't call those light.

There are different types of ash. Swamp ash is light. Some are heavy. Some are very heavy. 

Alder and Poplar are fine woods. My Vigier and Yamaha were Alder. My Stingray 5 fretless was Poplar. 

They're all finished in solid colours. Alder and Poplar don't often exhibit much figuring or grain.

Ash would be preferable for aesthetic reasons under clear or translucent finishes (IMO)

Maybe they'll switch to Maple or Walnut. They'll potentially be rather heavy, though!!

20 minutes ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

Alder and Poplar are fine woods. My Vigier and Yamaha were Alder. My Stingray 5 fretless was Poplar. 

They're all finished in solid colours. Alder and Poplar don't often exhibit much figuring or grain.

Ash would be preferable for aesthetic reasons under clear or translucent finishes (IMO)

Maybe they'll switch to Maple or Walnut. They'll potentially be rather heavy, though!!

I’ve had three walnut bodied basses. They were all very light. 

On 17/04/2020 at 23:52, ClassicVibes said:

Always been intrigued by that model. I take it has the regular P style neck? Also, is it gloss or satin finish (rear of neck)? 

Gloss, it’s also a nice chunker of a neck, very similar in feel to the US Standard Precisions of 2012-16.