Why become a member? ×

Do you use a cable for your bass? If so, one of the best bets (in my opinion anyway) is to get a combined instrument and IEM cable. Ernie Ball make one (I put a link in the thread previously) as do the likes of design-a-cable. 

You can then use a wired headphone amp, such as the Behringer P2, placing it next to your pedalboard/amp input.

Definitely cheaper and more than likely better quality.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jimmyb625 said:

Do you use a cable for your bass? If so, one of the best bets (in my opinion anyway) is to get a combined instrument and IEM cable.

Certainly if you want to be cabled that is probably the best way. I am wireless both ways.

2 hours ago, jimmyb625 said:

Do you use a cable for your bass? If so, one of the best bets (in my opinion anyway) is to get a combined instrument and IEM cable. Ernie Ball make one (I put a link in the thread previously) as do the likes of design-a-cable. 

You can then use a wired headphone amp, such as the Behringer P2, placing it next to your pedalboard/amp input.

I taped a long headphone cable to a regular instrument one once to do the same thing. Worked a treat and much cheaper than these already very good options as I already had the instrument lead. Plus I could position the headphone end just where I wanted so it was in the correct place when I looped my cable through the strap. Could even add some trunking and then some heatshrink to make look nicer.

4 hours ago, MichaelDean said:

I taped a long headphone cable to a regular instrument one once to do the same thing. Worked a treat and much cheaper than these already very good options as I already had the instrument lead. Plus I could position the headphone end just where I wanted so it was in the correct place when I looped my cable through the strap. Could even add some trunking and then some heatshrink to make look nicer.

I did the same, but used cable ties. 

Thanks for saving me typing all that. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jimmyb625 said:

This is precisely how I do it, in fact, I have one of each - a designacable and the Ernie Ball one, it connects to my Rolls headphone amp on my board where I can mix my bass signal with the band. Its a nice, elegant and simple solution that works for me as I don't need to stray too far or leap about anymore. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, gafbass02 said:

This is precisely how I do it, in fact, I have one of each - a designacable and the Ernie Ball one, it connects to my Rolls headphone amp on my board where I can mix my bass signal with the band. Its a nice, elegant and simple solution that works for me as I don't need to stray too far or leap about anymore. 

Does the Rolls unit have a limiter to prevent ear damage from inadvertent mic feedback etc.? I would always want some kind of limiter (ideally brickwall) in any in-ear device. Just curious.

33 minutes ago, BlueMoon said:

Does the Rolls unit have a limiter to prevent ear damage from inadvertent mic feedback etc.? I would always want some kind of limiter (ideally brickwall) in any in-ear device. Just curious.

One of them does, I think it’s the pm55se version. Mine doesn’t, but it’s not been an issue yet.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I would like a "singer handed the microphone to the most tone deaf woman in the room" filter, but they don't seem to have one!

Myself and the guitarists usually go for a wander around the dancefloor mid song when there's a big guitar solo. Absolutely kills my soul when we vacate the stage and some drunken woman jumps up and starts trying to sing into my mic. She can't hear herself as its a silent stage so she just screams louder. I like my vocals to be loud in my in monitor mix so it can be utterly deafening. 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, mrtcat said:

Myself and the guitarists usually go for a wander around the dancefloor mid song when there's a big guitar solo. Absolutely kills my soul when we vacate the stage and some drunken woman jumps up and starts trying to sing into my mic. She can't hear herself as its a silent stage so she just screams louder. I like my vocals to be loud in my in monitor mix so it can be utterly deafening. 

http://orchid-electronics.co.uk/Mic_Mute_lite.htm

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mrtcat said:

I have a handy mute button on the mixer next to me, but he tends to spring it on me!

Having lurked on this thread for a while I wanted to add my recent experience as thanks to this knowledge and help for others.

I was previously in a band which was full in ears, silent stage, Yamaha mix app on your phone to manage everything and loved it.

My main gig is now in a 17 piece Big Band. I sit between the Drummer, the guitar amp and 4 trombones and was concerned I was damaging my ears. Since I'm doubling on Bass Guitar and Double Bass, having enough volume to stay in tune was also becoming an issue. I tried lots of ear plugs (they all muffle the bottom end no matter how flat or "perfect for musicians" they claim to be).

So following advice here I got a second hand Zoom H6 and it has been a game changer! My amp volume is lower (correct volume) since I can now hear myself. And the stereo mics on the H6 pick up the whole band way better than expected including speech from the band leader at the other end of the room during rehearsal. I mount it on my tablet stand and angle it away from my amp and drums and send my DI-out to one of the inputs. I plan to experiment with a monitor signal from the PA desk which only has solos, vocals and keys, but should add even more clarity.

I already had a pair of Shure 425 which give me a great isolating fit so my ears are protected, I can hear my bass clearer (without deafening everyone else) and all for the cost of a second hand Zoom H6.

(Used in multiple rehearsals and 1 gig so far)

It hadn't occurred to me that I could run an IEM system for my self in a non mic-ed up big band, so thank you for all the great information in this thread.

Feel free to give you selves a pat on the back or ask any questions if you trying to do something similar 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies if this question has been dealt with before, but with a Behringer P2 would folk recommend getting:

(i) XLR to 1/4" jack lead to connect the P2 to the desk in preference over a normal guitar cable, or doesn't it matter much?

(ii) Does the 1/4" jack need to be TRS?

26 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Apologies if this question has been dealt with before, but with a Behringer P2 would folk recommend getting:

(i) XLR to 1/4" jack lead to connect the P2 to the desk in preference over a normal guitar cable, or doesn't it matter much?

We been using a XLR to XLR cable between our desk and the Behringer P2 for some time without any issues.  We haven't tried using XLR to 1/4" jack so I can't comment on that.  Can only suggest you go with XLR to XLR if you can.

21 minutes ago, gazhowe said:

We been using a XLR to XLR cable between our desk and the Behringer P2 for some time without any issues.  We haven't tried using XLR to 1/4" jack so I can't comment on that.  Can only suggest you go with XLR to XLR if you can.

Thanks for that and helpful to know. But unfortunately we're limited to 1/4" jack sockets for our monitor outs from our desk.

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

It shouldn't matter which connection type you use. An XLR might be a bit more of a snug/secure fit, but it would be fine either way. The 1/4" only needs to be TRS if the desk out is a balanced one. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

For mono you can use any Jack to Jack. The P2 has a mono/stereo switch. You can also use a TRS from a headphone out and get stereo, or mono if you use the switch etc. 
I personally use a Jack to XLR these days, as it locks in. It will also do stereo but works fine in mono as well. 

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 1

Sorry if this has been asked already but I can't find anything @EBS_freak have you any views on the ace evoke 2custom in ears. I'm fine on bass with the zs 10pro but the smiley face response isn't helping with vocal monitoring. The flatter response and 30db isolation look inviting and the price bearable if they are an upgrade.

23 hours ago, Phil Starr said:

Sorry if this has been asked already but I can't find anything @EBS_freak have you any views on the ace evoke 2custom in ears. I'm fine on bass with the zs 10pro but the smiley face response isn't helping with vocal monitoring. The flatter response and 30db isolation look inviting and the price bearable if they are an upgrade.

Can you use the dynamics on your mixer to tweak the response?

1 hour ago, Chienmortbb said:

Can you use the dynamics on your mixer to tweak the response?

I can and do John but as you know from speakers you can’t easily make a coloured sound uncoloured. Moulded in ears give you so much more though. I might be getting 18 db of isolation with the KZ’s when I put them in but they don’t stay put at a gig and the outside noise leaks in, once I get sweaty I’m pushing the things in every other song. They’ve been a great first step and are really good for bass but I’m ready to move up to customs so long as I can afford it. 30db of potential isolation means I can consistently reduce the monitor volumes and still hear clearly, perhaps by as much as 10db which is going to help preserve what is left of my hearing. I’m also singing a bit more so that becomes more important a factor.

Interestingly after about half a dozen gigs I no longer feel the isolation from the audience