Jump to content
scrumpymike

RESCHEDULED - The BIG FAT South-West Bass Bash 2020!! - Sunday 11th October, 2020

Recommended Posts

Much as I want to go to this, after all it is the Mother of all Bass Bashes, on reflection I personally wouldn’t feel safe enough to attend. People driving in from all corners to cram into a confined space and then pass their basses from person to person sounds like a recipe for potential infection to me. So until there is a vaccine (unlikely) or treatment/medicines to mitigate the more severe effects of the virus I’ll have to pass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Frank Blank said:

Much as I want to go to this, after all it is the Mother of all Bass Bashes, on reflection I personally wouldn’t feel safe enough to attend. People driving in from all corners to cram into a confined space and then pass their basses from person to person sounds like a recipe for potential infection to me. So until there is a vaccine (unlikely) or treatment/medicines to mitigate the more severe effects of the virus I’ll have to pass.

Some good points Frank. Perhaps the bash will have to be held with social distancing in mind. it is a shame we could not do it now as the sunshine would allow us to have those huge french(ish) doors and windows open and we could spill onto the veranda.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I reckon plenty of hand sanitiser should cover the handling of instruments.

The SE & Midlands bashes I've been to have had plenty of space for folks, so distancing shouldn't be an insurmountable issue.

Masks if you need them - just like in shops & suchlike.

The bottom line is you'll probably be more at risk going to a supermarket. (IMHO)

Plus a healthy dose of common sense on the part of all attendees.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Be a great shame if you don't feel safe enough to attend @Frank BlankI was very much looking forward to meeting you. 

Let's hope the situation with Covid has improved sufficiently by the autumn for everyone to feel safe enough to attend. 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven’t been in a supermarket since a week before lockdown (when I decided to lockdown) I’m almost sixty, overweight and diabetic. I am quietly confident that the SW Bash will be an annual event for many years to come and (as long as I haven’t sold my gear and given up playing bass, which is a distinct possibility) I have no doubt that I will be attending them in the future but until the criteria in my earlier comment have been met it’s a no no for me.

  • Like 3
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Frank doesn't want his pudding, can I have it please?..

Seriously though, quite understand your position and it's a shame you won't be able to make it. Stay safe and see you sometime in the near future.

Cheers

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Without going back through the thread, whereabouts is it being held, cheers 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

If Frank doesn't want his pudding, can I have it please?..

 

Buggger off, I saw it first.

:lol: 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Rich said:

Buggger off, I saw it first.

:lol: 

This is one event where there will be enough to go round.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, prowla said:

I reckon plenty of hand sanitiser should cover the handling of instruments.

The SE & Midlands bashes I've been to have had plenty of space for folks, so distancing shouldn't be an insurmountable issue.

Masks if you need them - just like in shops & suchlike.

The bottom line is you'll probably be more at risk going to a supermarket. (IMHO)

Plus a healthy dose of common sense on the part of all attendees.

There's considerably less space at this venue than the one used at last year's SE bash, with at least the same number of attendees if not more. @Frank Blank is right to be concerned given his health levels, and his comments have given me reason to think. I'm still on the fence, but certainly the layout with regards to social distancing is going to have to be different to previous years (the dinner gathering for example, always very enjoyable but not a good idea at the moment)

🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't worry guys, unless the risk is manageable to the point of being practically negligible we won't be going ahead.  There is NOBODY more risk-averse than me and Mrs Scrumpy when it comes to covid-19.  We're moving forward on the basis that it's still on unless/until it's called off, and the only reasonable approach is to decide closer to the time, say around the end of August.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mr and Mrs Scrumpy have spoken. 

Thanks Mike, that's the kind of clear, unambiguous leadership this country needs. 

The good news is that Somerset was pronounced Covid free recently. 

Not that I have the faintest idea what that means. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, stewblack said:

The good news is that Somerset was pronounced Covid free recently. 

Not that I have the faintest idea what that means. 

Only part of someset (sedgemoor). It means that they haven't managed to test anyone who has it. Maybe they have done the trump thing and just stopped testing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Only part of someset (sedgemoor). It means that they haven't managed to test anyone who has it. Maybe they have done the trump thing and just stopped testing!

Why don't we have a postal vote and see  how that pans out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, scrumpymike said:

We're moving forward on the basis that it's still on unless/until it's called off, and the only reasonable approach is to decide closer to the time, say around the end of August.

Worst case scenario: we cancel at short notice and Mike needs us to collectively stump up the deposit for the hall. Not the end of the world, and much better than the avoidable end of a basschatter.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Richard R said:

Worst case scenario: we cancel at short notice and Mike needs us to collectively stump up the deposit for the hall. Not the end of the world, and much better than the avoidable end of a basschatter.

I'm happy to leave my payment with @scrumpymike to assist with this. I wouldn't want you to be out of pocket 👍

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BreadBin said:

I'm happy to leave my payment with @scrumpymike to assist with this. I wouldn't want you to be out of pocket 👍

Same here. It’s a great event and the work put in to host it is really appreciated.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/07/2020 at 21:20, Frank Blank said:

I haven’t been in a supermarket since a week before lockdown (when I decided to lockdown) I’m almost sixty, overweight and diabetic. I am quietly confident that the SW Bash will be an annual event for many years to come and (as long as I haven’t sold my gear and given up playing bass, which is a distinct possibility) I have no doubt that I will be attending them in the future but until the criteria in my earlier comment have been met it’s a no no for me.

Like you Frank, I shielded from 17th March being a chronic asthmatic and will watch the infection figures with interest. With the resumption of live indoor performances postponed we must all be vigilant and stay alive to perform again.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bugger!  Just heard our only remaining gig of 2020 has been cancelled by Minehead Council - Saturday 29 August outdoors on the big bandstand in Blenheim Gardens.  I'm guessing they're anticipating a local 'spike' following the re-opening of Butlins ☹️

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/07/2020 at 15:40, Woodinblack said:

Only part of someset (sedgemoor). It means that they haven't managed to test anyone who has it. Maybe they have done the trump thing and just stopped testing!

It means the testers they sent into the bog didn't come back...

It's like Deliverance down there...

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Stub Mandrel said:

It means the testers they sent into the bog didn't come back...

It's like Deliverance down there...

You the man from the power company about the dam?

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate to be the one to say it but based on the comments at the press conference on Thursday, the maximum of 6 people for will be in place for weeks maybe months. I think that we are now looking at next April!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...