Why become a member? ×

The Big Fat South-West Bass Bash - Now Sunday 19th September 2021

scrumpymike

1 minute ago, Chienmortbb said:

I hate to be the one to say it but based on the comments at the press conference on Thursday, the maximum of 6 people for will be in place for weeks maybe months. I think that we are now looking at next April!

Sadly this looks like the case, but what a Bash we’ll have when we get there!

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

We would have all accumulated all kinds of gear

I reckon I’ll have half a dozen new basses I haven’t taken there before!! 

1 minute ago, Frank Blank said:

Much as the bass guitars all look lovely it’s the Scrumpette’s roast potatoes* that have in their particular tractor beam.

*not a euphemism.

Absolutely!! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chienmortbb said:

I hate to be the one to say it but based on the comments at the press conference on Thursday, the maximum of 6 people for will be in place for weeks maybe months. I think that we are now looking at next April!

Curious isn't it - you measure more and you get more results...

Well gives me more time to learn in prep for meeting everyone. At the moment I've just learned a 12 bar blues lick. I'm struggling to mute strings I'm not playing. So practice practice practice.

I doubt my kit will change. But I did have a look online at the Gibson SG Bass reissue. 

3 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

Sadly you're right, as it's become clear within the last 24 hours that we're heading towards a second wave.  I've already decided to talk to the hall manager on Monday and will then post a selection of available Sundays in May/June next year so we can collectively decide what suits us Bashers best (my feeling is that the usual early April date might be a bit too soon).  In the meantime, we can all proceed on the basis that, regrettably:

The Big Fat South-West Bass Bash is off until further notice!! ☹️

The good news is that I'll be able to bring my Mesa TT-800 that's due for delivery at the end of October 😎

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

It’s no good preparing pieces to play, you can’t hear anything over the cacophony of everyone playing everything all the time and then you can’t hear anything over the post-prandial burp/fart fest.

Not sure anybody will want to hear a beginner play, that is slow, suffers with the odd fret buzz, and sometimes struggles to mute strings that ring in harmony with the plucked note on another string. 😉

Edited by Triumph_Rock

2 minutes ago, Triumph_Rock said:

Not sure anybody will want to hear a beginner play, that is slow, suffers with the odd fret buzz, and sometimes struggles to mute strings that ring in harmony with the plucked note on another string. 😉

Don’t you worry about any of that, the Bass Bashes are the very antithesis of all that old bollo. Your description of your playing is exactly how I’d describe mine and I have a gas at the Bashes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Triumph_Rock said:

Well gives me more time to learn in prep for meeting everyone. At the moment I've just learned a 12 bar blues lick. I'm struggling to mute strings I'm not playing. So practice practice practice.

I doubt my kit will change. But I did have a look online at the Gibson SG Bass reissue. 

I had one of the 2014 SG re-issues in black and loved everything about it - except the slight neck dive.  Gigged it for a few years before selling and now wish I'd kept it!!

Just now, scrumpymike said:

I had one of the 2014 SG re-issues in black and loved everything about it - except the slight neck dive.  Gigged it for a few years before selling and now wish I'd kept it!!

That's good to know Mike, I have a Westfield EB3. Love the tone, got used to the neck five. 

I'm thinking when I get a more expensive bass, I'd probably get the Gibson. The only concern I have is the short scale. If they made an SG with a 34" scale I'd be all over it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scrumpymike said:

Sadly you're right, as it's become clear within the last 24 hours that we're heading towards a second wave.  I've already decided to talk to the hall manager on Monday and will then post a selection of available Sundays in May/June next year so we can collectively decide what suits us Bashers best (my feeling is that the usual early April date might be a bit too soon).  In the meantime, we can all proceed on the basis that, regrettably:

The Big Fat South-West Bass Bash is off until further notice!! ☹️

The good news is that I'll be able to bring my Mesa TT-800 that's due for delivery at the end of October 😎

has to be done nothing you can do about it fella,

and yeh a bit later in the year makes sense fingers crossed things are a bit more in control by then

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Triumph_Rock said:

They put up with me at the 2019 Midlands Bash! Everyone genuinely welcome 😁 Though I was too scared to go and embarrass myself on the green Shuker Uberhorn, I did at least play simple scales on a couple of others. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Triumph_Rock said:

They put up with me at the 2019 Midlands Bash! Everyone genuinely welcome 😁 Though I was too scared to go and embarrass myself on the green Shuker Uberhorn, I did at least play simple scales on a couple of others.