Why become a member? ×

What popular bass designs .......

Golchen

Any bass designs that really turn you off?

I love the Status classic shape, but I REALLY don't like either the Kingbass shape or the newer Streamline. I know that they are great basses, but if I won either they would be straight on eBay with barely a pluck in anger. I find both unpleasant to look at!

Another one for me is the GB rumour. It's supposed to have a womans curves, but I prefer my women with a little less ass! It makes me think of one of those chubby assed women in a renaissance painting rather than a curvaceous babe.

If I had a GB I'd go 100% for the Spitfire.

In no way am I knocking these superb instruments, many people have them and many love and admire them. This is just a totally personal opinion on aesthetics and not intended to offend.

Any designs that you lot don't like???

Ricks look better when being worn than not.
I find the inside edges of the Classic Status shape's horns too straight and angular.
Not crazy about the Jaguar or Bronco or Mustang - The upper horns are too short looking.
Not a fan of the Explorer shape either.
Fairly sure I could find at least one Warwick to dislike - They always seem to have one stinker in production at any one time! Perhaps it's a corporate policy!

[quote name='Golchen' post='362104' date='Dec 23 2008, 04:09 PM']Any bass designs that really turn you off?

I love the Status classic shape, but I REALLY don't like either the Kingbass shape or the newer Streamline. I know that they are great basses, but if I won either they would be straight on eBay with barely a pluck in anger. I find both unpleasant to look at!

Another one for me is the GB rumour. It's supposed to have a womans curves, but I prefer my women with a little less ass! It makes me think of one of those chubby assed women in a renaissance painting rather than a curvaceous babe.

In no way am I knocking these superb instruments, many people have them and many love and admire them. This is just a totally personal opinion on aesthetics and not intended to offend.

Any designs that you lot don't like???[/quote]

I like the look of the Status classic shape but the ergonomics are, for me, worse than anything else out there. You would not believe how much pain they cause me. To be honest there are very few basses I really think work aesthetically across the board. If the Kingbass looked like a headless Alembic Stanley Clarke I'd love it but it doesn't, although I like the basic concept. I can't say I'm mad on the new one either. Re the GB Rumour, that's [i]exactly[/i] how I like my women ( i.e. a bit Aurora Jolie....)! :huh: However I only really like the daphne blue ones; I find the others a little conservative looking personally, but then I tend to prefer more extreme looking basses.

Not over keen on the majority of Fender types, they don't look aesthetically integrated to me, but then that's something I can say about many basses; I like a lot of custom stuff, but find certain details really grate. My favourite looking basses are Rickenbackers (which remind me of 50s American cars, which I love; to me anything pre-73 with full-width sparklies and checkered binding is the most beautiful bass out there), certain Alembics (Standard, Small Standard,Triple Omega, Balance K and Rogue) which to me look very Art Nouveau, W&T Zoid, Warwick Dolphin, Sei Flamboyant and Singlecut (particularly Series 2) and Fodera Matt Garrison. There is very little else that grabs me off the top of my head, although I like the Status Stealth and some of the Jerzy Drozd/CBs/CTs. As I say, I'm not a very conservative guy when it comes to bass shapes.

Absolutely no offence meant to anyone who has basses I've mentioned though, plenty of people will hate my choices and that's fine; beauty is in the eye of the beholder etc etc. Heck, most of the women I like are a little less mainstream too; wouldn't give you tuppence for Angelina Jolie or any of the Hollyoaks/Girls Aloud/Pussycat Dolls types. :)

Edited by 4000

I'm not so keen on the Sei and Skjold shapes because of the lack of concentric curves (which were a Fender styling innovation.) I think some of the Overwater body shapes are a little stubby on the horns and I'm not so keen on the early Jon Shuker designs with the stubby lower horn. There is another but last time I expressed an opinion on that maker, I got flack in return, so I'm not going to bother mentioning them again.

Shapes I like the look of include Alembic, Jaydee, early Status, Spector, and the later (post-Dood) Shuker designs. All nicely balanced, flowing and proportional. The Shuker was by far the most comfortable of any bass I've ever played.

Most singlecut basses, no, all of them. they look too weird.

I hate Jazz basses. Could be because I've never been able to get a good sound and it seems that every new mainstream bass that comes out is a clone of the Jazz.

Both could be because I used to frequent Talkbs all the time and it seemed that every topic was about one or the other.

Anything with more than 6 strings. Nothing to do with what they are used for or the people that play them; with more than 6 strings I think that the body begins to look out of proportion to the gargantuan neck.

Any shape that has Darkstars fitted. I'm sure they are the tits but they don't look like they belong in anything other than a semi-acoustic.

Don't like:

Fender, too big and clumsy for me just comes across as a scaled up Strat shape.
Music Man, see above.
G&L, again see above, plus they do one based on the Telecaster shape which is probably the ugliest guitar ever and works even less well as a bass
Warwick, the JB Cream Reunion bass is nice but the others all look bad, bad, bad.
Plus they're all too mainstream and normal. I don't do mainstream and normal.

Like:
Overwater Original shape, big but elegant and comfy.
Gus, looks good, feels good, plays good, sounds great
Spalt Hybrid Bass
Pagelli Golden Bass - possibly the most beautiful fretless bass ever
Ritter Raptor

Controversial enough for you?

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='Delberthot' post='362202' date='Dec 23 2008, 06:05 PM']Any shape that has Darkstars fitted. I'm sure they are the tits but they don't look like they belong in anything other than a semi-acoustic.[/quote]

While I agree they suit semi's more i had a pair with brass surounds in a walnut SG and they looked superb

Personally i don't like single cuts generally and hate pointy basses.

P-Basses.
Bongos.
Stingrays and Sterlings.
Rickenbackers.
Steinbergers.
Wals.
SG/ Explorer/ Les Paul.
Gibson Rippers.
Corvettes.
Strykers.
Vampyres.
Katanas.
Dolphins.
Ibanez BTB's & Art Cores.
P-Basses...
B.C. Riches.
Ritters.
Guilds.

Edited by Josh

[quote name='Golchen' post='362104' date='Dec 23 2008, 04:09 PM']Any bass designs that really turn you off?

Any designs that you lot don't like???[/quote]

I'm with you on the Rumour/Spitfire.

Fenders.

Gibsons.

Singlecuts. I don't want to dislike them, I'd like to like them, but they just look wrong to me.

Warwick Streamers. The top horn makes them look as if they've got a semi.

Alembics. Have big fat arses.

Wals.

Statuses with headstocks.