Clarky

Pedal for 60s warm tubey Motown sound

Posted (edited)

Just to close this thread (or at least my contribution to it), I really liked the DHA VT-1 Std valve pedal but quickly decided I wanted to replicate the sound through a 'one pedal solution' valve-driven preamp/DI (preferably with 9V capability) so I could take it on ampless/house rig gigs.

So I took a punt on the latest (9V driven) EBS Valvedrive and it fits the bill beautifully. Funnily enough the 'modern' setting sounds better to my ears than the 'vintage' one (which errs a bit on the muddy) but - at least for me, through my solid state Acoustic Image amp - this nails warm Motown as well as creamy OD (I am not interested in high gain distortion).

Thanks to all who contributed in this thread. I have ended up with a setup that works for me, although I realise it won't be for everyone. Cheers!

Edited by Clarky
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Jazzmaster62 said:

MojoMojo didn't work out?

TBH, I didn't even try it as the DHA valve pedal arrived first and I loved the sound. If it ain't broke ...

I just sold the TC still-boxed/unused on the Effects FS forum for a barg price 🙄

On 11/07/2019 at 23:16, jrixn1 said:

What is your bass?  (P bass with flats...)

Try a SolidGoldFX Beta.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcDP4uYwKsI
(Not me.)

seconded. This pedal does a great imitation of a tube amp if you use it in preamp mode (no overdrive), very B15 sounding. And if you want a bit of hair on the note just flick the switch to add in the gain circuit.

Posted (edited)
On 07/08/2019 at 17:58, Clarky said:

Just to close this thread (or at least my contribution to it), I really liked the DHA VT-1 Std valve pedal but quickly decided I wanted to replicate the sound through a 'one pedal solution' valve-driven preamp/DI (preferably with 9V capability) so I could take it on ampless/house rig gigs.

So I took a punt on the latest (9V driven) EBS Valvedrive and it fits the bill beautifully. Funnily enough the 'modern' setting sounds better to my ears than the 'vintage' one (which errs a bit on the muddy) but - at least for me, through my solid state Acoustic Image amp - this nails warm Motown as well as creamy OD (I am not interested in high gain distortion).

Thanks to all who contributed in this thread. I have ended up with a setup that works for me, although I realise it won't be for everyone. Cheers!

I had to read all through that to see if anyone mentioned Dave Halls pedals!

Yeah I was going to suggest one but see you tried it :)

The DHA VT2 has the DI out and 2 x 12 AX7 tubes (with independent eq for each one) but as he's now sadly passed away they're quite hard to find.

Edited by skidder652003
  • Sad 1

Happy with my EBS Valvedrive but - as an addendum - Royal Mail managed to b*gger my DHA VT1 when I sold it on via the forum. Not sure if that speaks to the inherently greater fragility of valve-based pedals or simply incompetent, heavy handedness on the part of Royal Mail (but I know which side I would place my money on) 🙄

Funny, I came on here to suggest a DHA pre and it ended up being the preferred choice.  I don't know how Dave managed it but it really is a lovely Ampeggy type sound.

On 07/08/2019 at 20:40, Jazzmaster62 said:

MojoMojo didn't work out?

I have just ordered another one of these 🙄 as the EBS Valvedrive - while fabulous - does not really fit on my super compact pedal board and also requires an additional power input (needs >700mA to drive the valve whereas my T Rex power supply delivers 120mA from each port).

... sooooo does anyone have a recommended setting on the Mojomojo for that [back to the OP!] warm, valvey Motown sound? :D

PS, I will be keeping the Valvedrive as it sounds fab, before anyone asks, just not for this particular pedalboard setup

I keep the gain fairly low around 9 o’clock. It’s a very dark sounding pedal so don’t be afraid to boost the treble further than you would normally on other pedals, mine’s at 3 o’clock. The switch in the up position sounds fatter, but the down position is also rather obese!

• Thanks 1

LEHLE SONIC SPARK.... do not be fooled' this is an exceptional unit  that has multiple use's... 

Edited by paulo m
  • Like 1

On 17/07/2019 at 00:00, Ray Jones said:

If you're handy with a soldering iron (or know someone that is) you could build one of these. It's supposed to emulate an Ampeg SB-12 Portaflex. There's a few posts in the DIY thread.

https://www.musikding.de/ROG-Ginger-Ampsim-kit

I can't compare it to the real thing but I'm happy with mine. 

I had A RunOffGroove Ginger made for me by (the now defunct) VFE Pedals. It’s wonderful. The break up sounds like an old valve amp and I love the general character of its sound. 

The Mojo Mojo is amazing too, and a steal at the price.