Why become a member? ×

How did you determine ............

Golchen

Just looking at some random bass player pix and some people have it jammed so far up their armpit that it looks (to me) impossible to play! I was wondering why people set their bass at that sort of height at all?

Personally, I came from the 'lower looks cooler' school of though, however I liked the idea of the slappin stuff and it just wasn't that practical with a Ramones style 'round yer ankles'. I'm also not a fan of the 'floppy wrist' look with the old plucking hand, so it was a case of get as low as you can but still be able to thunk it with the thumb when necessary. It was Flea that made me realise that you didn't need a Mark King type height for slapping.

What height is your bass and why?

I play fingerstyle and slap or use pleckies, so I make sure its comfy for that, saying that though it depends on the bass. I play my Ashborys are quite high up and almost vertical as they are so small but the thunderbird has to be as low as it can go on the longest neoprene strap I could find. I did move the front strap button to cure the neck dive though. My favourite gigging bass, a mustang is as low as it can go on a standard levys suede guitar strap, which results in the classic [b]CYN[/b]* height.

[color="#808080"][size=1]* CYN= "cover your nuts"[/size][/color]

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard

I read when young and impressionable that I should sit and adjust the strap so it was just loose while doing so , then it would be near enough in the same place when I stood up.

I found that slightly high to be comfortable and lengthened the strap a couple of inches.

I find it varies from bass to bass but not by very much. I have a strap for each bass and never adjust them or swap them about.

The exception is the Epi Ex - but that's doing a job of work where the look is as important as the playing (which is 3 notes and one of them's A !!) so it's slung much lower .

Extremely high for me with every bass - I tend to play in a seated position mainly, and kind of slump/slouch over the bass. This makes the bass sit very high on my chest, just below the chin really, with the back section of the body pushed well under my arm. So, when I stand, the bass has to be very high to replicate the position. I just find it much easier to reach the whole of the neck with the bass very high and wrist rotation is much reduced at the bottom end. I did spend many years (mid to late '70s) playing rock with the bass hung very low - it was never comfortable but I was able to tolerate the difficulty then.

Tennis elbow. Just had 5 weeks off work with it (if I hear one more about too much w***ing-despite the fact that it's true!), playing with my arm flexed hurt, so I lowered my bass so that my right arm is straighter. Much more comfortable, no elbow pain, and I'm convinced I'm playing better because of it-sometimes have to lift the neck a bit on awkward bits, but i much prefer it.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='347705' date='Dec 7 2008, 09:26 AM']Mines set so the height is consisent regardless of whether Im standing or sitting.[/quote]

i'd like to be able to have mine like that but for, erm, logistical reasons, its just a bit lower than that when i'm standing up. my friends husband (a bass player in a punk band) tells me i'm not cool.

[quote name='Golchen' post='347698' date='Dec 7 2008, 09:02 AM']It was Flea that made me realise that you didn't need a Mark King type height for slapping.[/quote]

It was [url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=XYC662DMBUM"]Norwood[/url] for me. :)

Personally I wear my bass just above the bulge in my trousers. Mostly to show off the bulge in my trousers. Although I strap my fretless a little bit higher because left-hand technique needs to be tidier.

Low as the strap goes for me, mainly because I'm really tall compared to most and the full length is the [b]CYN[/b] area for me, but with my new strap (Pink checkered, matches the rhythm guitarists) its a lot higher, around my waist, which is high compared to my other strap.
Zach

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='347913' date='Dec 7 2008, 03:17 PM']It was [url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=XYC662DMBUM"]Norwood[/url] for me. :)

Mostly to show off the bulge in my trousers.[/quote]

[quote name='paul h' post='347934' date='Dec 7 2008, 03:53 PM']Or to hide the groinal area when wearing pale jeans and having a last minute piss. (Just in case)[/quote]

Awesome tips (no pun...), keep em comin!

[quote]Doing a 2 song mime for Cliff Richard... laugh.gif smile.gif[/quote]
And, how is Pete (drums) these days?

To answer the op:
It's a compromise between having the right and left wrist comfortable. For me (finger style) that means having the bass body pretty squarely over my tummy button. :)

Steve

Watched a Billy Sheehan vid ,and basically the idea seems to be to wear
bass same seated as standing.I follow that.

On a similar subject, I had to play bass for one song at a charity gig 2 weeks ago
and used the bassists bass.
I used to have same kinda bass(Hohner headless).
I normally have it higher than waist level.
This one was just set above my kneecaps!
I'm 6' but look bigger!(Don't know if this means alot)

Anyway ,after 7 beers I went up & played 'you really got me:"VH style.
I was ok, but knew the posture for me was wrong:)

I used to look a menk with it under my chin but as I have mellowed with age its now at least 2 inch under my chin :)

In all seriousness I generally have it hanging when stood up in the same place as I play when sat down. Never been able to play with it low slung not even in my "Punk" days.....