Jump to content
NJE

New American Artist Flea Signature?

Recommended Posts

According to what I believe is a trustworthy source on social media, this is the new Flea American Artist series active bass. As lots of us commented a while ago, it’s the signature bass we thought fender should have released.

No news on preamp and pickup but is looking good.

3D45273F-DE4E-463D-AAB1-22B1A54B16DD.thumb.jpeg.c65042cc59f681d9c61acced1139d5dd.jpeg

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a stingray owner and as someone who struggles immensely with Jazz width necks, this has very little interest for me personally, but I thought it would be nice to share. I actually think it looks quite smart after being quite uninspired by it initially.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

So it's essentially a Stingray masquerading as a Jazz Bass.  Oh, and two too many knobs.

Two too many knobs? It's supposedly like a Stingray - one knob for volume and two for active EQ. It's as simple as you can get for an active bass.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can’t blame Fender for putting this out there. I’m not a RHCP but this is something different for Fender.  Yes it has a MM pickup but that’s why it’s a more worthy signature model than Flea’s Jazz. I’m not sure why Ernie Ball didn’t offer him something (maybe they did) but Fender were smart to get him as an artist. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does make me laugh, I wonder what Sterling Ball thinks. Flea moves from EBMM to Modulus and gets them to essentially make him a Stingray (well, Cutlass), and them moves to Fender and gets them to essentially make him a Stingray. IME Fender make great basses (all two of them) but often pretty crap active circuits, certainly compared to those that go into Stingrays and Moduli. Interesting to see how this lands.....

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like this. At least Fender are doing something different. But Fender are damned if they do and damned if they don't.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, bubinga5 said:

I really like this. At least Fender are doing something different. But Fender are damned if they do and damned if they don't.  

It's really nothing different in the true sense - it's still just a pink Jazz (50+ years old), with a different/Stingray-cloned pickup option.  I do wonder whether people are in love with the shape or that it might sound like a Stingray (that pickup could just be a P-bass one under the cover), because there's nothing radically new about it - Sandberg have been doing similar stuff for yonks.  The guitar business is all so incestuous; limited designs and everyone copying everyone else.  In reality, no one is producing anything that's really unique and for that reason it's disappointing.

When was the last time anyone really saw a production instrument, that bucked Fender or Gibson designs, that was new and truly head turning?  Kubicki Ex-Factor?  Maybe a Spector NS2.  Something by Status?  Steinberg?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

When was the last time anyone really saw a production instrument, that bucked Fender or Gibson designs, that was new and truly head turning?  Kubicki Ex-Factor?  Maybe a Spector NS2.  Something by Status?  Steinberg?


Yep. The Spector NS2, designed by Ned Steinberger..
Warwick have built their entire company off the back of it and Ibanez etc have taken aspects of the design to adapt into their own instruments too...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

It's really nothing different in the true sense - it's still just a pink Jazz (50+ years old), with a different/Stingray-cloned pickup option.  I do wonder whether people are in love with the shape or that it might sound like a Stingray (that pickup could just be a P-bass one under the cover), because there's nothing radically new about it - Sandberg have been doing similar stuff for yonks.  The guitar business is all so incestuous; limited designs and everyone copying everyone else.  In reality, no one is producing anything that's really unique and for that reason it's disappointing.

When was the last time anyone really saw a production instrument, that bucked Fender or Gibson designs, that was new and truly head turning?  Kubicki Ex-Factor?  Maybe a Spector NS2.  Something by Status?  Steinberg?

+1

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not my thing, but good on Fender for producing it. Sure they'll be hordes of Flea aficionados queuing to grab one, many some non-fans too, as with the other sig bass of his.

I'm not a Flea fan, but I had one....cracking basses. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it looks different although not my cup of tea. I do really love the MIM Fender Flea Jazz as it looks so beaten up. Would love one in a different colour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not normally too comfortable with sig models, but I do love Jazz basses and this looks like it could really provide something different tonewise to Fender's current models.

Ideally I'd like to see an MiM or even a Squier version so it would be more economically viable to upgrade the pickup and preamp to something as close to a genuine ray as possible.

Edited by Cato

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

That’s nice how much are they?

I don't think we're 100% sure that Fender are going to put them into production yet, let alone which price range it would fall in to.

Edited by Cato

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To me it looks sleek fairly simple and active and shell pink  I’d pay 2k all day long if it  sounds as good as it looks 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

That’s nice how much are they?

It is an American artist series apparently, so judging by the other two Jazz basses (Geddy and Adam Clayton) I would guess around £1900 in the shops.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd guess at about the £2000 mark as well.

 

Seems to be the average for artist (non custom shop) US models.

 

So as with most 50 year old designs with a new paint job and a different pickup - it's over priced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the quality of the top end sig stuff is pretty near to Custom Shop....seriously well made quality instruments. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...