Why become a member? ×

Vocal mics of choice and why

EBS_freak

The whole band use Sure Beta SM58s - mainly because when I joined I had a betaSM58 and everyone thought that it sounded much better than the SM58, so everyone bought one.

I recently had to use a SM57 when one of our betaSM58s went briefly AWOL and I have to say that I quite liked the sound  - the increased proximity effect really suited my voice.

I once spent a very amusing couple of hours in the old PA Centre in Denmark Street (before Wunjo Bass moved down there) proving to my own satisfaction that there is no practical way to 'test' how good you sound through various microphones by simply singing into them. 

Ultimately, you have either have to record yourself and listen back later, or have someone whose ears you really trust in the shop with you.

I came out of the shop with a Beta 57 and used it for a year, decided the E835 suited my voice better and used that for a year, then changed my mind and started using the 57 again.

My vocal technique is very poor, and involves having my lips touching the mesh.

This is not recommended.

On 29/04/2018 at 10:35, King Tut said:

I've got a 58 but use Beringer XM8500's instead for my vox and kick drum. Cheap, hardy, good FB resistance and suits my voice. They've really been through the mill and still going strong.

Similar here, I preferred the XM8500 for my voice so sold my 58.

• Like 1

On 29/04/2018 at 10:29, Woodinblack said:

I use the TC Helicon MP75 - used to use the sure and the behringer clone (which I still use for miking up guitars) but the MP75 had much better feedback rejection and I think it sounds much better for my voice. They are expensive here but strangely cheap in the states.

11 hours ago, fretmeister said:

TC Helicon MP-75 for me.

Tried a few and really liked it. 

It’s a big +1 from me. Lovely clear tone and Hypercardiod pattern so rejects stage bleed well. Requires slightly more accuracy from the performer in terms of staying on axis but IMO it’s well worth it. Great mics.

Sennheiser for me and the rest of the band for vocals. My last three bands all used Shure 58’s or Beta 58a and I always wanted to use my Sennheiser. I got the usual “you want to use an SM58, best microphones around, industry standard” so much I bought a 58 to keep them happy.

Slowly after me sneaking the Sennheiser in at gigs, they all heard how much more defined it was they all gradually shifted over to Sennheiser too.

They aren’t for everyone but I have converted a lot of folks just by them hearing mine in a live environment.

• Like 1

Telefunken M80 fantastic mic but pricey. also a massive fan of the Prodipe TT1 about £40 and sound great (also get a good reviews from Paul White from sound on sound) the behringer vocal mics are good for the price but we've got some 58's at work that are about 30 years old and still work great. they really are hard as nails. they may sound a bit mediocre but they last!  

Not to hijack the thread, but can anyone recommend a mic which works well in a live setting for a stupidly deep bass voice? I've managed so far with SM58s and similar, trying to keep half a mile away from the mesh to minimise proximity effect, but I wonder whether there's anything out there which might be more...erm, flattering. Bonus points if it doesn't cost a small fortune.

7 hours ago, Andytre said:

also a massive fan of the Prodipe TT1 about £40 and sound great

Got a three pack of these for an absurd £54 a couple of years ago on Amazon. Normal price is about double that but still a good deal for what you get. Definitely punch above their weight for cheap mics. I find they work well on brass too. 

Shure SM58 Beta for me. Bought a couple some years ago and they still make my crap voice sound 

half decent.

Got an Audix a while ago (can’t remember the model but it was around £50) on the recommendation

of our sound tech, and it’s great for the money. Louder than my 58’s and better feedback rejection, I use

it on gigs where things might get a bit lary!

Also got a Peavey PVi which was bought dirt cheap as a spare, and it ain’t half bad.

( Should state that all of the above are for live use, I don’t do home recording etc. )

Interestingly, the Shure SM58 came out in 1966 and it's design 'elements' can be tracked back to 1937 (though the 'final' design I suppose was perfected in the late 1950's. As far as I know, the SM58 hasn't changed since then. There's also no difference in element between the SM57 and SM58. It's just the ball grill on the end.

• Like 1

On 03/05/2018 at 14:23, EliasMooseblaster said:

Not to hijack the thread, but can anyone recommend a mic which works well in a live setting for a stupidly deep bass voice? I've managed so far with SM58s and similar, trying to keep half a mile away from the mesh to minimise proximity effect, but I wonder whether there's anything out there which might be more...erm, flattering. Bonus points if it doesn't cost a small fortune.

I have a Behringer 8500 and bass vocal range, it works incredibly well for me, especially as every other Behringer product I have come into contact with has been awful

• Like 2