Why become a member? ×

Saying hello to the main band?

LITTLEWING

3 hours ago, borntohang said:

I always think of it as a bit like wearing a tuxedo - it feels great when you put it on in your room, and it'll feel great again when you're at the event, but you tend to feel a bit of tit wearing it on the bus there.

I feel very uncomfortable when the bus driver is wearing a tuxedo.

Just to put the other side to this, we played in Leicester on Saturday night supporting Mathew Logan Vasquez (Delta Spirit) Mathew and his band came straight over when we arrived, introduced themselves, offered us beer and to use any of their amps, they were brilliant, after the gig the drummer said "I love it when a support band is really good because it makes me nervous and makes me play better, you guys rocked it!" top comments from some top guys

I know from previous experience support bands can get treated badly by the main acts but as per the above the reverse can also happen.

• Like 1

We always make a point of seeking out the other bands to have a chat, say thanks if we`re using any of their gear, and unless we`ve got a real long drive after the gig, stay around for all the bands to offer support. Many don`t, that`s their call, but it`s just the way we do things. The only band - actually make that band member - to really keep himself to himself, and surround himself with bodyguards and commandeer the dressing room was when we played with Sham 69. The rest of the band were fine but Jimmy Pursey kept well out of the way, wasn`t rude or anything, just stayed with his security. And given the amount of trouble I`ve seen thrown his way over the years, I can`t blame him, though I do think that now the idiots that did that are a bit long in the tooth to still be doing so.

On 2/4/2018 at 15:23, stingrayPete1977 said:

The sister of our guitarist is a world class violinist/mandolin player, she did the Adele tour and was told not to talk to her or look at her if she saw her outside of the dressing rooms. Singers and egos.

Interesting, I knew a young lady that played violin in a quartet for Rod Stuart. She was also told not to make any eye contact with him or talk to him.

Blue

1 hour ago, Bluewine said:

Interesting, I knew a young lady that played violin in a quartet for Rod Stuart. She was also told not to make any eye contact with him or talk to him.

Blue

That is interesting as our guitarist's sister is J'anna Jacoby! She says he's great xD mind you J'anna is a looker and you know what rod is like with the ladies!

My ex-next-door-neighbour works/ed at Stansted airport. Not in the bit we go to, but in the posh bit up the road. 2 customers he dealt with were Alan Sugar and Rod Stewart. I know nothing about AS, but he spoke well of Rod and he was invited to many of Rod's parties. 

Now this guy was nothing more than a driver and baggage man, so it's possible that Rods attitude in the wings of the stage is all part of the act?. Or maybe avoiding distraction when he has to have a clear head for thinking?

9 hours ago, Bluewine said:

If I ever become an international star it will be written in my contract that nobody can look at me, talk to me, stand near me or even think  about me.😁😁

Blue

Again, sounds good to me. I had an audition with a band last week and afterwards the manager came to see me and did a bit of a pep talk thing:

"What do you want, kid? You want to be famous? Because these guys are going to make it. Biggest band in the world next year."

"flip no, who wants to be famous? It's hard work and it sucks and you have to talk to journalists all the time. I want to be RICH!"

5 hours ago, Grangur said:

My ex-next-door-neighbour works/ed at Stansted airport. Not in the bit we go to, but in the posh bit up the road. 2 customers he dealt with were Alan Sugar and Rod Stewart. I know nothing about AS, but he spoke well of Rod and he was invited to many of Rod's parties. 

Now this guy was nothing more than a driver and baggage man, so it's possible that Rods attitude in the wings of the stage is all part of the act?. Or maybe avoiding distraction when he has to have a clear head for thinking?

Mate of mine has a good Rod Stewart story.  A couple of years ago he went to West End show, booked at table at The Ivy, for his wife's 70th birthday, went to their seat and did the usual 'star gazing' that takes place there.  Rod Stewart walked in a while later and sat at a table the other side of the place.  Context at this point is that my mate and, particularly, his wife are mahoosive RS fans - they had seen him many times, the last of which was in Sydney Opera House a couple of months before.  My mate went into the gents, RS came in a short while later.  He risked getting chucked out (against house policy to approach celebs) and very politely thanked him for all the great concerts they'd seen, mentioned going to Sydney Opera House.  Then mentioned it was his wife's birthday, where they were sitting, and what it would mean to her if he could possibly manage to make eye contact or even say something to her.  My mate left the gents, RS came out shortly afterward, walked up to my mates wife, took her hand, kissed it, wished her a happy birthday.  Don't think she has washed it since.  A very small act of kindness on his part but it was literally one of the highlights of her life.

• Like 2

On 5 Feb 2018 at 13:14, borntohang said:

I always think of it as a bit like wearing a tuxedo - it feels great when you put it on in your room, and it'll feel great again when you're at the event, but you tend to feel a bit of tit wearing it on the bus there.

Ha ha ha!
This reminded me of when I lived in Amsterdam and we had a big office party in the city centre and the dress code was 1970s: I dressed up as your typical Superfly-type Pimp - hideous white suit with big flares, repulsive floral shirt, massive wide-brimmed furry hat and nasty fake gold oversize jewellery.

I had to travel in to the centre by tram and was inwardly cringing at the prospect, so was waiting for some sort of comments but none of my fellow passengers even batted an eyelid! :biggrin:

You've probably never heard of Leszek Mozdzder, but he's a quite well-known jazz pianist in Poland. A few years ago I was working with a charity helping disabled people and we had organised a big event featuring a concert and LM had agreed to participate (as long as his travel and hotel expenses were covered :facepalm:).

Anyways, the day before the event, a makeshift rehearsal session was arranged but as space was quite limited I had to stand quite close to the piano. Until the pianist's manager came and asked me to move further away, as I was invading his creative space or some such twaddle.

To add insult to injury, this guy was supposed to accompany a girl with Down's Syndrome who had been flown in from England especially for the concert but when concert time arrived he refused to play alongside her and her father had to step in instead. What a bell end.

On 07/02/2018 at 11:25, matski said:

You've probably never heard of Leszek Mozdzder, but he's a quite well-known jazz pianist in Poland. A few years ago I was working with a charity helping disabled people and we had organised a big event featuring a concert and LM had agreed to participate (as long as his travel and hotel expenses were covered :facepalm:).

Anyways, the day before the event, a makeshift rehearsal session was arranged but as space was quite limited I had to stand quite close to the piano. Until the pianist's manager came and asked me to move further away, as I was invading his creative space or some such twaddle.

To add insult to injury, this guy was supposed to accompany a girl with Down's Syndrome who had been flown in from England especially for the concert but when concert time arrived he refused to play alongside her and her father had to step in instead. What a bell end.

Yeah, doesn't sound like a great character... but the thing about having his travel and hotel expenses covered does not sound unreasonable to me.

On 07/02/2018 at 11:25, matski said:

Only guessing , but by "Creative Space" what LM may mean is, "I don't want you, on anyone, seeing what I do with my fingers".

Not saying he's in the same bracket as LM, but Rick Wakeman won't play if anyone can see his fingers. He played the opening piano on Cat Stevens' Morning has Broken and Rick takes great pride in the fact that in all these years nobody can quite nail how he plays it. If you listen to a lot of Rick's work you can hear those opening bars come up in a lot of what he plays.

On 06/02/2018 at 21:54, KK Jale said:

A friend of a friend once guitar-teched for Van Morrison and band for a whole tour... handed Van his instruments on stage every single night. Morrison never spoke one word to him, ever. 

He's a notorious prick though. Never heard a single person who has encountered him in a personal or professional capacity have anything positive to say. 

Edited by mike257

On 2/7/2018 at 11:25, matski said:

There was a piano that needed p***ing in.

• Haha 1

VM story I love best is the guy in his band who polished Van's microphone while the Great Man was busy pissing or somesuch...   Not so much that he polished it, as where and with what part of his body.

Probably apocryphal but I SO want it to be true. So many stories about what a nasty bastard he is.