thebrig

Miming on TOTP's

I was watching glam rock at the BBC the other night, and I couldn’t help noticing just how bad the miming on Top Of The Pops was, most bands never even tried to make it look like anything other than blatent miming, just look at the bass player in this clip of Chicory Tip, his right hand is moving as if he is playing rhythm, and his left hand just doesn’t move at all.

Don’t know why I’m posting this, I guess I just needed to mention it I suppose.

10 minutes ago, thebrig said:

I was watching glam rock at the BBC the other night, and I couldn’t help noticing just how bad the miming on Top Of The Pops was, most bands never even tried to make it look like anything other than blatent miming, just look at the bass player in this clip of Chicory Tip, his right hand is moving as if he is playing rhythm, and his left hand just doesn’t move at all.

Don’t know why I’m posting this, I guess I just needed to mention it I suppose.

Perhaps the band never played on the recording so they didn't actually know how to mime to it ... or simply couldn't be bothered.

Anyway, back in those days many rockers thought it pretentious actually to mime, so better to take the fosters.

All the bands were miming, the audience knew they were miming and the people at home knew they were miming, what is the point pretending well?

Some people took it to an artform, stand in dummies and the like, sure iron maiden, quo and motorhead did that.

Then there are people that didn't even get round to it:

• Haha 1

Even if he was actually playing the bass, I wouldn't care. The most boring bass playing I've ever heard. 

Edited by bubinga5

Chicory tip!!!! Had him play in my local pub. Had a real strop when someone turned the boxing on at the other side of the pub! 

1 hour ago, rogerstodge said:

Did someone mention bad miming?

I thought hey were brilliant, one of the best two fingers performances ever.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

All the bands were miming, the audience knew they were miming and the people at home knew they were miming, what is the point pretending well?

Some people took it to an artform, stand in dummies and the like, sure iron maiden, quo and motorhead did that.

Then there are people that didn't even get round to it:

That looks more like a foldback problem than any deliberate attempt not to bother. I remember seeing a now famous Pebble Mill at One act who had the same problem. Cant remember the band though

Edited by fleabag

34 minutes ago, spectoremg said:

Haven't seen that before. Absolutely priceless.

There's another one somewhere where they swap instruments... I'll try and find and upload it

27 minutes ago, fleabag said:

That looks more like a foldback problem than any deliberate attempt not to bother. I remember seeing a now famous Pebble Mill at One act who had the same problem. Cant remember the band though

Think that was Owen Paul - My favourite waste of time. 

7 minutes ago, rogerstodge said:

Having the time of their lives by the look of it.

Brilliant!!!

8 minutes ago, howdenspur said:

Think that was Owen Paul - My favourite waste of time. 

Yup, thats bloke   :)

At about 2:30 they stop mimining and start spinning.

Nivarna's infamous appearance, not only did they not really bother to mime, Kurt also sabotaged the live vocal.

Often overlooked, Dave Grohl pratting around at the back.

Fergal Sharkey had a howler once, and of course there's always the classic John Peel mandolin solo on Maggie May.

Marillion took it to extremes with Lavender - Fish had lost his voice so had the lyrics on a flip chart and pointed to them :

Andy

• Like 1